Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying after diving question

• 03-06-2008 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, hope you can help :)

I'm planning a trip to the Great Barrier Reef next month, and of course I'm planning a dive. I've done a few dives before on holidays and whatnot and love it so where better to do my next :) ANYWHO, I'm going directly from Cairns to Ayers Rock and I'm going to fly (who wants to sit on a bus for 3 days). Now what I'm wondering is, how long after the dive should I leave before flying? I'm planning the dive on Friday afternoon, would Sunday morning be okay for flying?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

rugbug86 wrote: »
    Hey guys, hope you can help :)

I'm planning a trip to the Great Barrier Reef next month, and of course I'm planning a dive. I've done a few dives before on holidays and whatnot and love it so where better to do my next :) ANYWHO, I'm going directly from Cairns to Ayers Rock and I'm going to fly (who wants to sit on a bus for 3 days). Now what I'm wondering is, how long after the dive should I leave before flying? I'm planning the dive on Friday afternoon, would Sunday morning be okay for flying?

Thanks in advance :)

24 hours is the general safe rule so you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Most of the day trip boats from Cairns are back at the Wharf by 5pm. Your last dive will probably be ~2-3pm. If you get a chance though stay out there overnight. It's worth it for the night and dawn dives! I did my open water and adventure course there recently with the Cairns Dive centre; they have one day trip boat and a catamaran that stays out on the reef. There's no shortage of operators willing to bring you diving in that town!

They advise 24hrs before flying also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

Thanks guys.

I'm all excited now!!

I'm also going out with Cairns Dive Centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I dived with Posideon last Septemebr out of Port Douglas.Fantastic boat and good outfit overall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

Depending on what agency to look at, you will get different answers, PADI i think is 24hrs, BSAC is 12.

So 24hrs is defo a safe bet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Scuba G

I was on a trip to Barcelona last year and we had a dive at 3:30pm for near an hour in 20m's max depth and then got the flight at 10pm that night, not very clever but my mates Aladdin Air had cleared after 6 hours to fly were as we boarded the plan my Suunto Stinger was still showing around 5 hrs left, Ill probably get slated for this as there was a risk of DCS but I was fine and so were the other lads. In saying that, I wouldnt do it again or advice anyone of doing it, as it was pure stupidity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Scuba G wrote: »
    I wouldnt do it again or advice anyone of doing it, as it was pure stupidity!

.... nuttin' like an honest man ....

Advertisement