Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Tea, Worth it for trying get in shape this summer?

• 03-06-2008 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Hey everybody,

As part of my new fitness regime, I have started drinking Green Tea instead of normal Lyons Tea!

It isn't very pleasant at all. Is it worth drinking to lower LDL cholesterol levels, and inhibit the abnormal formation of blood clots...etc??
    There are other benefits such as helping burn more calories..etc

But is it really worth overcoming the Nasty foggy, cigar tasting Green Tea So i can get in shape for this summer?

*Gets sick on the keyboard after swallowing last mouthful of Green Tea*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

If you don't like it don't drink it.
    I don't think any of the supposed health benefits have been proven. Sure there are supposed health benefits to drinking black tea (like Lyons) as well.

The only difference is if you add sugar and milk to your black tea - that's where it may affect fitness.

Also consider what kind of green tea you are drinking. Not all are equal. Ideally I'd recommend going into that Asian Supermarket over by Jervis St. They have a good selection, Gunpowder is quite nice, but for a slightly different flavour they also have some lovely Jasmine Green Tea.

All of these are sold as tea leaves, not as the dried up powder crap you get in most tea bags.

Bon chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

lots of studies on the benefits if green tea, do a search on www.pubmed.com and you will get loads of studies.

as said above try some good loose leave like japanese sencha or chinese jasmine and brew at about 90c for two minutes.

You would need to drink large amounts to have any weight loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

I drank it for about 2 weeks and my piss was crystal clear.

That's gotta be a good sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

siochain wrote: »
    ldl reduction

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

mix it with apple juice

armour87 wrote: »

I know too much about urine, i really should get a hobby

Abnormal colors

Since the normal color of urine is pale yellow, variations can be an indication of health problems or be the result of certain foods that have been eaten.

Clear urine
    If a person has been drinking an excess of water or diuretics such as coffee or beer, the urine may have little or no color. Typically, it is nothing to worry about if it happens occasionally.

Yellow urine
    Excess sweating could result in the urine becoming a deeper yellow. Also, it is a sign that you have not been drinking enough liquids

Dark yellow urine
    Liver problems or jaundice can cause the urine to become consistently a dark yellow color. Be sure you have been drinking enough fluids before jumping to conclusions.

Orange urine
    People who eat too many carrots--like from a juicer--may see orange urine. Also, too much Vitamin C can turn the urine orange.

Brown urine
    Brown urine can an indication of a serious condition. It could be caused by liver disease, hepatitis, melanoma cancer, or copper poisoning. Other symptoms from those ailments should also be considered as indicators. But note that if you had recently eaten fava beans or taken a laxative, your urine also could turn brown.

Greenish urine
    A urinary tract infection, bile problems and certain drugs can cause the urine to turn greenish. A brighter green color is an indication of an excess of B vitamins.

Blue urine
    Urine with a bluish tint can be caused by a psuedomonas bacterial infection. It can also be an indication of high levels of calcium.

Reddish urine
    There are a number of things that can cause the urine to have a red tint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I really like green tea. I'm addicted to it, and it's healthy. Win-win situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

armour87 wrote: »

Not in the slightest. Mine is crystal clear when I've had about 5 pints down the boozer. If you want clear urine, drink more water.

eh ok?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

barcoe4 wrote: »
    ?

Low density lipoproteins. Very roughly, cholesterol is divided into two groups: LDL and HDL. HDL (High density lipoproteins) is actually good cholesterol. It's put to good use by the body, helps keep us healthy, and gets rid of excess LDL. LDL is the bad cholesterol, which clogs arteries and causes health problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

barcoe4 wrote: »
    eh ok?:rolleyes:

What I was pointing out is that clear urine is not necessarily a sign of something being healthy for you. As you pointed out yourself, any number of diuretics can result in clear urine. That doesn't make it healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

siochain wrote: »
    lots of studies on the benefits if green tea, do a search on www.pubmed.com and you will get loads of studies.

as said above try some good loose leave like japanese sencha or chinese jasmine and brew at about 90c for two minutes.

You would need to drink large amounts to have any weight loss.

Just be aware that the studies seam to be divided into three camps, that Epidemiology data suggests that population that consume green tea having health effect. But the problem with epidemiology data is that its not direct evidence although very powerful.

The second is with an Aqueous extract of green tea, Green tea catechins which has show to reduce atherosclerotic plaques was seen in animal models.

An the last is the antioxidant as a measure of lipid peroxidation results suggest the is very little effect, i did see a styud a few years ago that suggest you need to consumed around a pint of green tea a day for three weeks to depress radical formation, as a measure of antioxidant effect

But the down side is that green tea can affect folic acid absorption, which at that dose could be something to be aware if you are a woman of child bearing age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

For a nice Green tea try the "Zen Green Tea" from Starbucks, its really nice, has lemongrass, mint and a few other things thrown in but its the nicest Green tea ive ever tasted... (Tried a few but like you OP, the taste is not that nice, untill i found the one from starbucks)

edit- they also sell it by the box, not sure on price though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

There are also incidences of hepatoxicity (liver damage) and hyperglycemia (like diabetes) associated with taking green tea extract, or products containing green tea extract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

OP there are more important things involved in getting fit and in shape than what type of tea you drink. It may well have an effect but its not a miracle pill/bag. Also maybe you are brewing it for too long or using boiling water? It shouldn't have reached boiling point afaik. It may take a week or two to adjust to the flavour and then you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

drink anything enough and you will get used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Does anyone know is there caffeine in Grean Tea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Only a trace amount AFAIK. Nothing like the amount in ordinary tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Does anyone know is there caffeine in Grean Tea?

There isn't much caffeine in it, but I have found that if you are not drinking ordinary tea / coffee / coke then the small bit of caffeine in the green tea is noticeable (but in a good way as it's only a small amount).

OP did you find that you got used to the green tea? For anyone else starting off, putting a slice of lemon in it helps, or you could try the jasmine flavoured green tea mentioned above (the jasmine flowers have a beautiful flavour).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 niai

green tea can help with wight loss as it has caffeine in it which will help u burn fat more when u are doing some thing thats going to be burning fat

its also help if u are cutting down on soda to drink green tea

the caffeine in green tea is not to bad for u as it is water soluble and is used up very quick

but if ur not liking the taste its probably cos ur steeping it to long or using to hot water with green tea u need 85c water temp and steep for no more then 3 mins if u do then u get a bitter taste and a dry mouth

i think white tea is nicer and easier to make it also has more antioxidants then green (thy are the healthy things in tea) u need to steep this for 7 mins it more sweet tasted and will never be bitter its hard to fin a good green or white tea in tesco's or other places like it the twinings range is bout the best i have found still not grate (Stephen Fry is always right) i would tell u not to follow there directions for brewing use mine

black tea isnt as good for u as the other 2 i have mentioned cos it have been left to ferment and has less antioxidants and a lot of caffeine plus the standard tea is very bad quality thats y most ppl put milk and sugar in them (i cant drink with out a drop of milk still)

i would try the twinings range 1st and if u like it i buy all my tea on adagio.com grate site and thy have ppl that will help u on there check it out there is a lot to choose from when u get in to the world of tea

and if any 1 wants a $5 off gift click here

hope that was some help to u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

niai wrote: »
    and if any 1 wants a $5 off gift click here

hope that was some help to u

Is that a referral/affiliate link in the html? :confused:

is that link just showing as a page of html code cost its not for me

and p.s. dont want to get off topic but how u get this board to email. when u have a reply to a post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

is that link just showing as a page of html code cost its not for me

and p.s. dont want to get off topic but how u get this board to email. when u have a reply to a post

Nothing personal - I'm just naturally suspicious of all tea-drinkers ;)
    Just making sure you not Michael Cramer.

To ensure you're informed of thread updates, select "subscribe to thread"
    under 'thread tools".

lol ok i am just the same as u tea is just fun and good for u that y i like it

and thanx for the help

green tea can help with wight loss as it has caffeine in it which will help u burn fat more when u are doing some thing thats going to be burning fat

you actual have to be doing exercise for this ti have an effect, sitting on your as in front of a computer does not

the caffeine in green tea is not to bad for u as it is water soluble and is used up very quick

Plenty of water soluble drugs are bad fro you, caffeine is caffeine!

oblivious wrote: »
    you actual have to be doing exercise for this ti have an effect, sitting on your as in front of a computer does not
    i said if u are doing some thing that would be burning fat as well

Plenty of water soluble drugs are bad fro you, caffeine is caffeine!
    i said not TO bad for u it is bad for u any drug is bad for u there isnt 1 that dose only good but the caffeine in tea is much better for u then redbull and coffee

Fair enough

but please less of the text speak

that isnt txtspk u cant understand txtspk txtspk.jpg
    u and ur is all i do and ppl that pisses m off as well but i will try

• Advertisement

that isnt txtspk u cant understand txtspk txtspk.jpg
    u and ur is all i do and ppl that pisses m off as well but i will try

Start reading the charter, you have been asked once before in a different thread and its not generally good idea to argue with a mod.

Apologies for bring this off topic

Advertisement