Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My experience with 360 in standard-definition

• 03-06-2008 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭

so far, im reasonably happy. gta 4 looks excellent in standard-def and i wondered would the game be able to look much better in HD?

now, i think it definitely could. GTA has a lot of small text and this can be difficult to read even with wearing glasses. i imagine this small text would be far more defined in HD. im planning on getting Dead Rising cheap which is meant to have unreadable text in SD, hopefully thats not true, in time ill see.

many people have told me that the 360 looks better in SD than the wii in SD. so far, id disagree with that as the wii's graphics are very clear looking and id prefer clean clear graphics than moving closer to the TV to read in-game text!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Ya...Hooked my 360 up in SD for the first time after playing in HD for ages and found it very hard

The texts in gta were almost unreadable and in COD4 i was always killed by people in the distance i couldnt see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    so far, im reasonably happy. gta 4 looks excellent in standard-def and i wondered would the game be able to look much better in HD?

now, i think it definitely could. GTA has a lot of small text and this can be difficult to read even with wearing glasses. i imagine this small text would be far more defined in HD. im planning on getting Dead Rising cheap which is meant to have unreadable text in SD, hopefully thats not true, in time ill see.

many people have told me that the 360 looks better in SD than the wii in SD. so far, id disagree with that as the wii's graphics are very clear looking and id prefer clean clear graphics than moving closer to the TV to read in-game text!

Do NOT get Dead Rising if you have a SD TV as you can't play it!!
    I had a SD TV when I first bought it and had to wait until I got a HD TV to play it.It really is impossible to read the small text and they really should have printed it on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

corcaigh07 wrote: »

As Bros123 said, Dead Rising is bascially unplayable in SD, impossible to read the text. Warhawk on the PS3 is the same.

I didnt find any problems reading the text in GTA4, but I found the shadows looked kinda crap. When hooked up to a HD TV, looked 10 times better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

The text is unreadable but the game isn't unplayable, I finished Dead Rising several times on my 12(count 'em 12)inch SD Tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

THE 360 games still look great in sd mode, buy a 32 hd tv if you can afford it ,in hd you can see great details ,its a shame to play say ghost recon in sd mode ,it just looks stunning in hd ,in powercity ,harvey norman theres a sale on every few weeks,if you r on a budget buy a 720p tv hdtv, they are usually cheaper if you can find one.
    OR get a 360 vga cable and a 19inch crt monitor cheap,play the games in 720p vga mode.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I had amy xbox for about 4 months before i switched to HD. I used to think i was crap at games and blamed my age (I loved R6V at the time) but as soon as i switched to HD my skill level instantly improved!

Ok obviously it didnt, but HD made a massive different to clarity so aiming and distances became far easier to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Once you've switched to HD it's very hard to go back. Everything looks drab and washed out. And it makes sniping in COD4 a lot harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

I wouldn't even say the text in Dead Rising is unreadable, although it is very small. Difference is probably because I have 20 20 vision :D

I found playing GTA IV on SD better than in HD! I couldn't seem to find the right settings and the games contrast and brightness were never okay for me and I was constantly chopping and changing.

I found Halo & CoD4 in HD stunning though. Particularly Halo for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Bros123 wrote: »
    Do NOT get Dead Rising if you have a SD TV as you can't play it!!
    I had a SD TV when I first bought it and had to wait until I got a HD TV to play it.It really is impossible to read the small text and they really should have printed it on the box.

Bah! I survived for 12 days on survival on an SD tv. I only use that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

armour87 wrote: »

Call Of Duty fair enough, but Halo 3 is far from stunning HD or no......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Call Of Duty fair enough, but Halo 3 is far from stunning HD or no......

Halo is a lot better in HD because the colours are better :D

The HD makes everything sharper too.

I think Forza 2 improves most from HD. Better viewing distance to corners/tracks and you can instantly see the improvement in graphics on the track.

I think it becomes a whole new game when played in HD instead of SD. I was amazed and played it for hours in HD over well hours in SD but you get my point :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

brim4brim wrote: »
    Halo is a lot better in HD because the colours are better

The HD makes everything sharper too.
    :D

Erm... no sh1t! I was saying it's not stunning even in HD.... not on my 42in plasma anyway... i could list about 20 games off the top of my head that put Halo 3 to shame....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

armour87 wrote: »
    I wouldn't even say the text in Dead Rising is unreadable, although it is very small. Difference is probably because I have 20 20 vision :D

I found playing GTA IV on SD better than in HD! I couldn't seem to find the right settings and the games contrast and brightness were never okay for me and I was constantly chopping and changing.

Well I have 20 20 vision too!!What the OP was asking about was the quality of games in SD vs HD.
    There are plenty of games that will work fine on a SD TV but I'm afraid Dead Rising,however good anyone's eyesight is,is not the same in SD due to the problems with the small text.

Dead Rising has drawn complaints from gamers that have standard definition sets and smaller high definition sets for having difficulty reading the on-screen text. This is due to Capcom's decision to develop exclusively for high-definition televisions, as the game had been touted as one of the first truly "next generation" titles available for the Xbox 360. On August 10, 2006, a Capcom representative posted the following on Xbox.com:
    “ Dear Everyone, I have heard your concerns and passed them to every source within Capcom possible. I feel your pain as I, myself, have a large SDTV and am having trouble reading the mission objectives, item names, etc.

Unfortunately it does take time to resolve any issue and we would want to fix the issue appropriately as any changes to any game can create additional problems from the result of change; that's just how game programming works and that's why games go through extensive game testing programs and approvals.[34]

A week later, Capcom released a statement saying they would not be fixing the problem and suggested some DIY solutions:
    “ Unfortunately Dead Rising was optimized for High Definition TV's. Due to this, the font in the game might be difficult to read on standard definition TV's. If you are having a hard time reading the text, please try the following: 1). Adjust the settings on your TV or monitor. 2). Try using component
    cables instead of standard composite. 3). Setting the TV to widescreen ratio (even though you may not have a widescreen TV) may help in some cases.[35] ”

Using a computer monitor is also a solution to the problem, as the Xbox 360 supports a number of common monitor resolutions high enough to render the text readable.[36]

While the small text within Dead Rising cannot be fixed, Capcom responded quickly to avoid similar criticism on the same issue for their next major Xbox 360 game, Lost Planet: Extreme Condition. When the demo was released in late 2006, it also had significant amounts of small text, and responding to these complaints, Capcom adjusted the game prior to release to detect the use of a standard TV and increased the font size as needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Agreed Halo only looks okay in HD. COD4 looks great in places in HD eg. the nuke mission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Im still playing in SD :( and all of those I play with regularly say there is a huge difference on CoD4 when trying to spot enemies far off. I often get sniped from straight in front of me and can not see the shooter. I definitely plan on upgrading around Xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

thanks lads, i wont risk Dead Rising so unless its like under 10 euro.

Advertisement