Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Country for Outbreak

• 03-06-2008 10:38pm

Post-Zombie Outbreak. You've managed to secure a boat and enough supplies to last you indefinately. There's an atlas at your front and a compass. Where do you go to in search of freedom? Or will you remain in your home country?

I would either stay in Ireland or go to Canada/Alaska. Ireland's hills and lakes and rivers means that it provides a natural shelter against the zombie hordes. Yet the cold in Canada/Alaska might slow down the spread of the plague.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Well if its virtually impenetrable mountainous terrain your looking for? try the Balkans, a million Yugoslavian partisans can't be wrong! Or how about Afghanistan? the Yanks, the Brits and the Soviets couldn't get the better of it, so what chance has a zombie horde got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm heading to Disneyland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Small island off the coast of Ireland would be best I think. I wouldn't have the navigational skill to get anywhere else anyway.

Small size makes it easy to defend.
    Small chance of an outbreak there if you know and can trust your group of survivors.
    High chance of being able to take food from the sea around you.
    The land here can generally be used for cultivation of food.
    Constant supply of running water (streams, revers etc).
    In the event of invasion on the island easy enough to escape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

6th wrote: »
    I'm heading to Disneyland!
    A deserted disneyland plagued by zombies? That sounds terrifying /shudder

I'd go to dundrum shopping centre :p Pity there's no gun shops...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Daddio wrote: »
    A deserted disneyland plagued by zombies? That sounds terrifying /shudder

I'd go to dundrum shopping centre :p Pity there's no gun shops...

That's full of zombies on your average Saturday anyway!

I reckon I'd have to stay in Ireland. Local knowledge of your immediate area would be invaluable. Plus I'd stand more chance of saving people I know instead of random strangers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

My 1st choice has always been to the Aran Islands. Fùck all of a distance away if I and my group can keep to the back roads while the Outbreak ravages the main roads. As C-13 said an island is perfect for it's size, food supply and escape routes. Chances are though during the outbreak either the Irish / British / American army would use it as a base for it's aircrafts, monitoring station, etc, or worse.........to hold and treat survivors :eek: All it would take would be 1 infected survivor to comprimise the safety of the island.

Other than that a remote country like Ireland is better than a mainland country, don't want to be surrounded by millions of the undead, do we?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

How far do you reckon a zombie could travel underwater before their body loses integrity?

That's kind of important for this topic...

Well, if they were to venture into the sea the mighty current would take care of them.

Unlucky Prospects:
    They end up beaching on another country or your island :eek:
    They somehow retain the knowledge of how to swim and could probably swim forever without fatigue :eek:
    They chomp on a shark or whale thus creating zombie-fish :eek: probably

More than likely with the time they'd spend in the water eventually their decomposing limbs would fall off or sharks would finish them off................but then we're back to the zombie-fish problem :eek:

SDooM wrote: »
    How far do you reckon a zombie could travel underwater before their body loses integrity?

That's kind of important for this topic...

Its probably more a case of depth than distance IMHO, the deeper they go the more the pressure increases. Eventually they'll be crushed by the pressure, which should either be enough to destroy the brain (Best case scenario) or to disable them somewhat (we then risk them washing up somewhere else).

That said the salt water would obviously have some sort of effect on their limbs, but I think that the pressure would be a more direct threat.

Would a zombie go into the water voluntarily if they weren't specifically after scenting some sort of prey that they were trying to reach ? I doubt it very much.

c - 13 wrote: »
    Its probably more a case of depth than distance IMHO, the deeper they go the more the pressure increases. Eventually they'll be crushed by the pressure, which should either be enough to destroy the brain (Best case scenario) or to disable them somewhat (we then risk them washing up somewhere else).

That said the salt water would obviously have some sort of effect on their limbs, but I think that the pressure would be a more direct threat.

Would a zombie go into the water voluntarily if they weren't specifically after scenting some sort of prey that they were trying to reach ? I doubt it very much.

I am sure their lack of brain power could easily lead to a situation where they walk into water unknowingly.

The reason I ask is a small enough country like Ireland could last quite a while with an appropriate siege/ quarantine mentality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Small island off the coast of Ireland would be best I think. I wouldn't have the navigational skill to get anywhere else anyway.

i reckon something like irelands eye off the coast of howth. easy to get to. surrounded by water. unless its the under water zombies then you are ****ed. but easy to look out for threats when you burn it up the liffey on your speed boat for the weekly shop.

close to everything you need. and dont think its inhabited. there is some sort of building there already which i am sure could be house worthy with little work.

in land of the dead they went into the water because they saw the lights in the city. but they are not the classic run of the mill zombie. i reckon the bog standard limper would not go into the water. anyway with underwater currents the chances of them walking in a straight line would be fairly impossible so making their navigational techniques pretty random. also they probably would float.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Under water zombies? Surely they'd float and have difficulty manouvering?

great minds think alike

Not according to the zombie survival guide. I don't have my copy with me over here but theres a section in it about zombies and crossing large expanses of water.

thank god for that guide. without it this forum would be just random

Not according to the zombie survival guide. I don't have my copy with me over here but theres a section in it about zombies and crossing large expanses of water.

Conventional thought is that SOME zombies will become gas bloated and float. However as zombies decay as a dead body would and it's in salt water, I don't see the integrity holding the gas in too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Not to mention World War Z, they were still turning up on beaches years later.
    I don't think the pressure would kill them. Since they're decaying it'd probably be easy for water to get into them and equalise the pressure.
    Anyway, I'd stay in Ireland but head west, go into the country where there's not too many people and try to find an old castle (or a monastery but they're more likely to be in ruins).

Floating zombies.

Yeesh

Horrible thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

In world War Z both the royal family and the Pope moved to Ireland. If its good enough for that lot, its good enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭stink_fist

amazon!!! :D

In world War Z both the royal family and the Pope moved to Ireland. If its good enough for that lot, its good enough for me.

pope-benedict-palpatine.jpg

He's already one of them! :0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Martron wrote: »
    thank god for that guide. without it this forum would be just random
    That's the funniest post I've read on this forum yet :D

I think the Aran Isles are winning this, will there be a boards beers there in the event of an outbreak? Ireland in general wouldn't be the worst place to be based in the event of an outbreak due to the low population density - so much land to hide on. Providing the zombies wouldn't have the capacity to make it across to Aran you're pretty much sorted for a home base. What would you do for food though??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Iceland,Ireland,Faroes.Pretty much island country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,080 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Check out a short story by Stephan King called Home birth. Kiind of the problems you could experiance on an island with zombies.:)

If I had the hypothecial ship.Somthing along the lines of a gunned up freighter or oil tanker.plenty of room for food,arms etc.Pretty difficult to take out by the mindless dead and has inter continental range.Second option.Modern day fortress ...an oil rig.Shut down of course,dont want to pollute nature...:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Check out a short story by Stephan King called Home birth. Kiind of the problems you could experiance on an island with zombies.:)

If I had the hypothecial ship.Somthing along the lines of a gunned up freighter or oil tanker.plenty of room for food,arms etc.Pretty difficult to take out by the mindless dead and has inter continental range.Second option.Modern day fortress ...an oil rig.Shut down of course,dont want to pollute nature...:)

The only problem with the boat id do you know how to run it ? I certainly dont !

As for the oil rig thats a good idea alright. Isnt there one of those of the coast of kinsale ?

oil rig would requiring running too. if you thought a boat would be hard to run. i know you would not be drilling or anything but i would imagine they would need constant maintenance.

i would take my chances on a bouat. you could struggle getting it to say harbour or cove but once there you will be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would commandeer a nuclear supercarrier along with my trusted army and use it as helicopter base to clear the zombies from smaller Mediterranean islands starting with Malta, then moving on to other ones. Then we would repopulate some of them and slowly build our (my) empire from there mohahahaha

Martron wrote: »
    oil rig would requiring running too. if you thought a boat would be hard to run. i know you would not be drilling or anything but i would imagine they would need constant maintenance.

i would take my chances on a bouat. you could struggle getting it to say harbour or cove but once there you will be fine

Not really.They have pretty big power bunker oil/LPG powerd gennys to keep the drilling gear etc running.Once you can get those started[Well,you have plenty of time to figure it out].you have then lights,heat ,power.All the home comforts.And you are not going to light up the rig like a Xmas tree are you?So you will have enough fuel to last you your natural life.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

oil rig is crazy!!!. too much **** to look after. you are essentially sitting on a bomb. plus the rig rig is tied to the sea bed and in heavy weather has to be loosened off to prevent damage to the rig. way too much sh1t to look after. then you would have to use a boat to get out to it so why not just live on the boat. i really reckon oil rig will be more danger than its worth.

Taking your points.
    Deep water rigs have to be loosened off in stormy weather.
    Shallow rigs sit on a huge concrete pipe for want of a better word.They wont go anywhere.[worked on them].

Who is going to blow the rig up?You?or the Z SEAL team 6? If the drilling plant is shut down and the well is capped,it is as safe as your own house.
    What **** are you looking after?Apart from keeping the power on in the living quaters and possibly comms once a day.To Hell with the rest of it.

Boats are generally not used much on rigs apart for heavy resupply.So there isnt much anchorage.You fly in by Chopper.
    TIP any good Z survivor will pick up as many skills as possible in this time of peace.you should be able to ride a motor bike,pilot a chopper and plane up to 747,ride a horse,be a weapons expert,demolitions expert,qualified surgeon,brilliant lover[to seduce all those leather clad Amazon all female survivor blonde between the ages of 19/30 queens].

Boats,well I get seasick.

choppers!!!!!!!!!!

now this is getting crazy. its easier to cycle a unicycle on a big ball than to fly a helicopter. its not something you can teach yourself. its ridiculously hard.

ok a fixed pylon rig makes more sense . but i think living on a rig would be pretty desolate and depressing i would prefer to live in a mountain hideout than on a rig.

in my books oil rig is out.
    There is anonother problem which is being over looked. nothing will get done without a command structure. who gets the top place and who decides who the bitch3s are?

So learn how to fly one!Cmon which hero in any Z flick would balk at such a simple task???:) You are going out to save the World here Bro....
    Okay,make sure your group has at least one person who can fly aircraft.Plenty of Ex mil and civvie and sport pilots out there.I can fly a Cessna 172 or simmilar.
    Oil rig or mountain retreat.Well,if you are stuck in a cabin in 15ft of snow for four months up the Murderhorn.Thats pretty desolate too.Matter of choice and I guess circumstances will dictate your retreat location unless you have a load of time to prepare.

Who is the leader?Well thats a group dynamics and politics,or who is the strongest problem.Could write reams on that one and not come to a solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i think the best place/country for an out-break is carlow... in Ireland.... only 15 people living there so we can contain it easy. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Imagine how cool it would be to setup a fortress in the ancient ruins of Dun Aengus and prepare for the zombie onslaught...

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Who is the leader?Well thats a group dynamics and politics,or who is the strongest problem.Could write reams on that one and not come to a solution.

thats what i am trying to get at.....that this may be a bigger problem than the zombies ha ha

Well,I suppose for a starter for six.If you stumble up my road with your shirt on your back and not much else to my well fortified hidden compound.You are really a charity case,but you are still human,So of course you would be taken as a guest.Well,then common rules of host/guest apply.If you are useful and you like the set up,make yourself useful with whatever skills you have.Slackers of any type will soon show up in a new society and wont be tolerated very much either.
    I'm talking about junkies,wasters,doleie mentality,"give me because, it is my right" types.Those will find themselves back out with the Zs pretty quickly.

if you are a lone wolf operator out on your own.Well do you really need leadership?You survived this long so why would you need leadership ?Unless it is in your benefit to join a bigger group.Which it proably will be,because you will be respected as a fighter and having survived this long outside a group.Plus realistically ,how long could you survive against Z hordes yourself?You need to sleep,eat,go to the bog[see other thread].yet still be able to function as a one man army.Pretty difficult.

the main prblem arises when lets say fro example the person you just let in usefulness seems to over power the current leader. then rifts occur in the camp and you have a power struggle. i think small groups of ppl who are afraid of you will work best. i think the best way to make yourself a leader and keep it that way is to be able to do something tht noone else can..... something important of course although whistling with your toes is unique it is by no means useful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I wonder how long an oil tanker can keep afloat with next to no maintenance.
    You could anchor it in a bay and live off fish and plants grown on the expansive deck space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

I'm thinking somewhere cold. Perhaps Scandinavia. How do zombies like the cold? I'm assuming they don't like it, or at least they will move even slower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

the cold in Canada/Alaska might slow down the spread of the plague.

You're presupposing a viral cause a la 28 Days Later.

Convention would surely suggest that a zombie outbreak is the result of being bitten etc by the offending monster...

So with this in mind you need a country which provides adequate terrain to defend oneself within...

Or a country with no brains...

I think America fits that bill on all accounts.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

lee_arama wrote: »
    You're presupposing a viral cause a la 28 Days Later.

Convention would surely suggest that a zombie outbreak is the result of being bitten etc by the offending monster...

So with this in mind you need a country which provides adequate terrain to defend oneself within...

Or a country with no brains...

I think America fits that bill on all accounts.:pac:

Ah, i missed the Alaska/Canada post. LOL yeah America might fit the bill. Plus, walk into almost any house and find free weaponry... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

This is the greatest thread ever!!

Personally I would flee to Inis Mor and hide under a table with a tin of baked beans to keep me sane.In my research I believe Mayo would be the zombie hq.

(Grabs AK-47) I think I'll sort that problem out now.:D

Just remembered there's a big prison in my home town, massively fortified. Only problem being the prisoners, though pending on their crimes and skanger-ness some will be set free, others shot in their cells and the paedos........well, we'll keep them alive to use as bait.

iUseVi wrote: »
    Ah, i missed the Alaska/Canada post. LOL yeah America might fit the bill. Plus, walk into almost any house and find free weaponry... ;)

Ya Wish!!!!!Dont try for any major cities then like NYC,Washington DC,Boston,or any place that votes overwhelmingly Democrat.
    Since [1] they are already brain dead zombies ,you are more likely to get infected.
    [2] In their zombie state they voted in gun bans in all those areas and have gun free zones all over the place.
    OTOH you go to places that belive in the 2nd amendment.IE south of the Mason Dixon line or out South West.You will find plenty of lively folks tooled up to the nines.But more than likely lookin fur fresh blood ter breed wit ma sistur.Dats the 400lb one dar with eigt guid teet in her heaid.:eek:

Advertisement