Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seabass

• 03-06-2008 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

does anyone know where i might pick up a nice bit on the northside of the city?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Northside of what city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Faith wrote: »
    Northside of what city?

Dublin sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Kish. On Bow Street in smithfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Northside of what city?

Obviously, Dublin!!
    Where else.

Same way Dublin phone numbers have no prefix!
    I've even seen government offices print their Dublin phone number without the prefix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Northside of what city?

Remember Dubliners don't believe anything else exists outside of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

we know Culchies exist outside of Dublin :-)

EireEV wrote: »
    we know Culchies exist outside of Dublin :-)

How do you know that they exist except in Dublin on 8th December.

Once they leave The Pale, they cease to exist!:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Aw lads, play nice :rolleyes:
    While we're on the subject, has anyone got a really nice recipe for seabass? I have a whole one (enough to feed 2 I reckon) in the freezer. I bought it in Dunne's - in Dublin, but they're nationwide. ;)
    I'm thinking of stuffing it and baking it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Superquinn will have it. And I'm nearly 100% sure I saw it in M&S on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Dizzyblonde, I think bass is such a good fish that you should do very little with it.

Try oiling it lightly, put it in a foil parcel with a couple of slices of lemon, a sliced tomato, some slices of shallot (or a couple of scallions), light sprinkle of salt. Bake for about 15-20 minutes at 200C, depending on the size of the fish. Remember that foil slows down cooking. Open the foil pack to check; it might need another couple of minutes with the foil open.

[I'm Dublin-born, living outside the city. Am I a Culchie?]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Dizzyblonde, I think bass is such a good fish that you should do very little with it.

Try oiling it lightly, put it in a foil parcel with a couple of slices of lemon, a sliced tomato, some slices of shallot (or a couple of scallions), light sprinkle of salt. Bake for about 15-20 minutes at 200C, depending on the size of the fish. Remember that foil slows down cooking. Open the foil pack to check; it might need another couple of minutes with the foil open.

That sounds fab, I'll defrost it at the weekend and try it out.

I'd say the culchies would call you a blow-in but don't worry - once a Dub always a Dub!! ;)

No, you don't exist!

Dizzyblonde,

You could also try, slashing the sides of the fish and putting slices of lemon and sprigs of thyme,salt and pepper into the slits and the body cavity.

Put in a roasting tray or oven proof dish,pour over a glass of white wine, drizzle with olive oil (or dot with butter) and put in hot oven (200c - 220c) for about 20 mins.
    Crispy on the outside,
    Soft on the inside.
    And a lovely 'jus' left in the dish.
    Easy
    (easier than typing with a fat ginger cat walking on the keyboard)

Oh,

People should be aware that all SeaBass sold in Ireland is Farmed and imported (usually from Greece).

I'm not saying don't buy it, I just want people to be informed about what they buy.

Lots of wild fish are air freighted in from Iceland too.
    Ask your monger where the fish comes from - by law they're supposed to label its origin.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

When I cook seabass I warp it in a tin foil parcel with a knob of butter, a quartered lemon and if I have it a sprig of dill or a bay leaf.

I put it in a roasting tin that is filled about 1cm deep with boiling water. Then I let it steam away to itself in a hot oven for about 40mins.

Tastes fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I microwave mine on a plate.........

Actually I lie. I just do it like above.

Thinking about whacking some fish on a BBQ tonight after all this chitchat....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Under the grill with a lash of olive oil and some salt & pepper.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Throw it on a pan for 3/4 mins a skin down, take it off the heat, flip and leave it for another 3 mins (it will continue to cook). Before the pan rub it with olive oil, lemon juice and some tarragon.

Another foil based solution includes a layer of pesto on the flesh side!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭paddyenglishman

cooked mine on the camping barbecue in tinfoil with white wine ,fresh rosemary,garlic and lemon .
    Voted best camping meal ever .very easy but sorting bones out in the dark is an acquired skill.
    i suggest you do this in Beara as in Dublin camping isn't the done thing in this sense of the word
    Heh Ho

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Dizzyblonde,

You could also try, slashing the sides of the fish and putting slices of lemon and sprigs of thyme,salt and pepper into the slits and the body cavity.

Put in a roasting tray or oven proof dish,pour over a glass of white wine, drizzle with olive oil (or dot with butter) and put in hot oven (200c - 220c) for about 20 mins.
    Crispy on the outside,
    Soft on the inside.
    Easy

I've never cooked it myself, but I had this cooked in a restaurant with a very similar recipe and it was delish. The waiter brought the fish out out whole and then cut it up in front of us, using a spoon. The meat just fell off the skin. Will definitely have to try cooking it sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭fourmations

Dizzyblonde,

Crispy on the outside,
    Soft on the inside.
    Easy

this is a jamie recipe, no?
    except he does it "in the bag" (foil that is)
    i have done it and its amazing

rgds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

Got a seabass last week at the fish counter in the asian shop (not the asian supermarket by the luas stop) on Great Strand Street (i think thats the street name-one in "italian quarter" near jervis ) seemed very good value at about 3.50 for a whole gutted one.

Tried to cook it up like the deep fried sea bass and soya sauce that I had recently but it just didn't have the same crispyness as the restaurant version anybody know a recipe or hints.

ps I basically followed this recipe apart from fried the fish in about an inch of oil.
    http://chinesefood.about.com/od/seafoodrecipes/r/sea_bass.htm

this is a jamie recipe, no?
    except he does it "in the bag" (foil that is)
    i have done it and its amazing

rgds

It could well be a 'Jamie Recipe'
    I like his stuff.
    It's a fairly basic idea with traditional flavours for fish (it's also very similar to other recipes in this post) so I guess I had it as well as Jamie.
    Almost every recipe is a version of some recipe that came before.
    Maybe Jamie copied me!!!!!:)

Advertisement