Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant Aid

Options
  • 03-06-2008 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

Grant aid for shooting. How much is/has been given ? To who/what ?

Now the big question........Are we getting our share ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

How much over what period of time? This year? This decade? Since 1922?

There's been a fair chunk of change in recent years, mostly to the ICPSA.

Sports grants as they apply to us fall into four categories;
    • Core funding
    • Challenge funding
    • Carding grants
    • Capital grants

Core and Challenge funding goes to the NGBs specifically, and is used for running the NGB and for funding specific projects, respectively. In 2008 for example, the SSAI was given around €35,000 in core funding, which was then further split five ways to the various NGBs. I don't have figures for this year for what the ICPSA got, but last year it was €15,000. They've done much better in the past - something in the region of €300,000 went to the ICPSA after the 2002 World Championships win in Lathi. Challenge funding is separate to core funding and is used on specific, named, planned projects. We've seen some of that money in the past.

Capital grants go to NGBs or clubs (you don't need to be an NGB to apply, in fact NGBs are in the minority here) last year totalled some €75 million. In the past (not sure what year), it's paid for RRPC's electronic targets and for some work in Courtlough, and for various other things. We keep pushing clubs to apply every year on boards, but few seem to pursue it...

Carding grants go directly to the athletes. There are criteria for each level of grant (there are four or five levels, depending on the sport). The ICPSA have several shooters on carding grants right now, and the NTSA has a few juniors on carding grants as well (the juniors get €3k, top level athletes like Derek Burnett would be getting in around the €30k mark). There are other things that go with those grants (access to physio stuff mainly).

Are we getting our share? Interesting question. What would be our share? How do you determine it?

Something to remember is that the Sports Council's mandate is not to fund sports. And they're very explicit on this - they do not just give the sports money. They are bound to try to develop sport in Ireland, which means that they don't fund - they invest. Critical difference there. If the sport has no strategic plan, if it has no entry points or pathways or coaching or competitive plans - then they won't invest in it. And they've already proven a dozen times over that merely throwing paper together to appease them won't work; they want to see actual work done at that level, and things happening on the ground (coaching courses, progress on the competitive end, people being developed, facilities being built, medals being won internationally, that sort of thing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote: »
    Something to remember is that the Sports Council's mandate is not to fund sports. And they're very explicit on this - they do not just give the sports money. They are bound to try to develop sport in Ireland, which means that they don't fund - they invest. Critical difference there. If the sport has no strategic plan, if it has no entry points or pathways or coaching or competitive plans - then they won't invest in it. And they've already proven a dozen times over that merely throwing paper together to appease them won't work; they want to see actual work done at that level, and things happening on the ground (coaching courses, progress on the competitive end, people being developed, facilities being built, medals being won internationally, that sort of thing).

The emphasis these days has shifted to results. The Sports Council have a budget of about €55,000,000 which is a lot less than they need to properly develop all sports. The end result is they're looking for end results before they invest. The catch 22 there is that obviously you have to get results before you get money. You'll see boxing get a good bit now that they have achieved good results, the same with equestrian sports and a good few others.

The catch 22 for shooting is that because you can't legally shoot until you're sixteen, that's possibly six to eight years of training lost right there. The ICPSA lads will freely admit that the current crop of international competitors they have are unusual in that they all started very young and realistically they can only hope that that happens again.

The fourteen year old training licence is a start in the right direction, but when you consider that kids at that age are starting into Junior Certs and then Leaving Certs, there's a very small timeframe to get them up to standard with it all falling back down again when the exams loom.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

So would it be possible to get a grant for starting up a range?And/or doing a feasability study on the worthwhileness of the venture?If so who do I talk to?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Yes, if you already own the land through Capital grants scheme (though not for the feasability study, and you have to source 50% or so of the money yourself).

Alternatively, you could talk to your Local Sports Partnership if you're in an area that has one (they're the local branch of the Sports Council).

Another alternative would be to see if there's a LEADER programme in your area - we've gotten help from them in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[
    quote=Sparks;56132562]Yes, if you already own the land through Capital grants scheme (though not for the feasability study, and you have to source 50% or so of the money yourself).

Howabout if you own the land totally and buildings unencumberd and clear?Or does it have to be purchased thru the capital grants scheme??
    Also,can you use as in this case the buildings and land as the 50% source of finance?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

No, what I mean is that you cannot use the capital grants scheme to buy land. You have to own the land (or have a long-term lease on it) before you can use the scheme to pay for building work.

You can use it without owning the land, however, if you are using it to pay for non-personal capital equipment, which covers basicly every piece of club kit bar ammunition and targets. Rifles, jackets, gloves, slings, mats, scopes, target holders, target changers, electronic targets, clay traps, bullet catchers, you name it - if it lasts more than a few years and it's not one person's personal kit, it's covered.

I'm not sure if you could use the buildings and land as the 50% - I know that they won't accept it directly, but if you morgaged it to raise the 50%, that might be different. AFAIR, the money had to be in the bank account before you even applied for the grant, that was a precondition.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    So would it be possible to get a grant for starting up a range?.....If so who do I talk to?

http://www.arts-sport-tourism.gov.ie/grants_funding/default.htm#grants1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

To paraphrase Sandy's link, you can get up to 70% for capital projects including building works on land that you either own or have at least a 20 year lease on. The grant is repayable in the event that the money is not put to the use it was granted towards at any time over a set period which the DoAST specify in the grant agreement.

In other words if you sell the range or use it for something else within that timeframe (usually between 10 and 20 years for large projects), they'll look for their money back.

There's a thread here relating to the last allocation: do a search for 'sports capital grant' and you should find it. The last one closed in February, so the next one should be about January next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

Grant aid for shooting. How much is/has been given ? To who/what ?

Now the big question........Are we getting our share ?
    dear bunny i need money now:eek: .WHY . look down
    and if there is money over sparks would like a new stock for his target
    shooting rifle:rolleyes:

well my car is -ucked my scope is -ucked car and scope total 2755euroeek.gif
    no joke i am having the worst week of my ffff life and yes ther is a spring
    missing out of my new cz452 lux might have it back 10/6/2008mad.gif
    so how was your weekeek.gifsteveconfused.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Not as bad as yours ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement