Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I attempt to take the shell off the egg.....

• 03-06-2008 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

So I boil an egg, Take it out and Put it under the Cool water. I attempt to take the shell off around the outside so that I can store these hardboiled eggs in the fridge for later.

Problem is taking the shell off. This morning it didn't come off easily!

Any tips on how to slide the shell off hassle free and quickly without doing too much damage to my lovely white egg?? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

The trick to this is to put the boiled egg in a bowl of cold water, rather than running it under a tap. The gently but firmly tap the egg's shell against the hard bottom of the bowl. Once cracked peel away the shell, making sure to get the membrane under the shell penetrated with your (clean&washed) nails. Being submerged in the water, the membrane allows the water to creep under it and lets you peel the shell with membrane away much easier than if dry.

Try it. It works.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

ah ok thank you!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It also helps if the eggs aren't "too fresh".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

My SIL was just saying the other day that she finds free range easier to peel as the shells are thicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Lainabaina

Jamie Oliver's method is quite good: you roll the egg (gently! but so that the shell cracks all over) on a wooden board, and when its good and cracked, just peel it away.

As eviledna said, you've got to get that shiny film underneath the shell pierced and then it comes away no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

another way is to gently roll the egg between the palm of your hand and the inside of the sink 'til its cracked well. the shell should peel like an orange then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Don't store them with the shell on once cooked - they should be shelled straight away. In cold water for a few minutes then peel. I think the cold water causes the inside to contract - more than the shell does - making it easier to peel.

olaola wrote: »
    My SIL was just saying the other day that she finds free range easier to peel as the shells are thicker.

Ye thats what my mother told me that too so your SIL was right! watever a SIL is lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

barcoe4 wrote: »
    Ye thats what my mother told me that too so your SIL was right! watever a SIL is lol.

Sister in law :D

oh lol ok at least i know now.:cool:

I had a sister in law once,

she got lost..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Boil eggs
    drain water
    hop the eggs up and down in the saucepan till they crack
    leave in cold water for a few mins
    peel

Easy peasy!

ok Gordon Ramsay;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

barcoe4 wrote: »
    ok Gordon Ramsay;)

pukka mate ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Minder wrote: »
    Don't store them with the shell on once cooked - they should be shelled straight away. In cold water for a few minutes then peel. I think the cold water causes the inside to contract - more than the shell does - making it easier to peel.

Didn't know that - is there any danger in keeping the shell on, ie bacteria?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

When an egg is boiled there is always a little pocket of air at the top or bottom of the egg between the white and the shell. I find it easiest to start from there.

As the others have said it is easier when just boiled but cooled so as not to burn you. The membrane is the key.

I tap the top and bottom (don't be afraid of it, if they're hard boiled they can take a good thump) of the egg off the inside of the sink and this will show me which end has the air pocket. I start from this end as it is easier to get the membrane.

I then peel from top to bottom and rotate the egg until it is shelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Alun wrote: »
    It also helps if the eggs aren't "too fresh".

+1
    if you hard cook eggs that are at least a week old, you'll find them easier to peel after cooking and cooling than fresher eggs.

http://www.aeb.org/LearnMore/EggFacts.htm

Advertisement