Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Help Needed!!

Options
  • 03-06-2008 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hey guys, hope all is well...

Have a laptop, I originally set up my wireless connection and it USED to work fine. My bro took a loan of it and now the internet won't connect!

The connection shows up and says that I am connected but Internet explorer won't connect if you get me? I am connected via my wep key and everything seems to check out but it just won't load a web page :(

Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Joe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

hi joe.

Firstly test your connectivity.

Go to start->run and type the word "cmd" without the "".
    A command window will appear with a prompt. Type the following

ping www.eircom.net

You should recieve some sort of reply. If its successful your connected properly to the network.
    You must have some sort of firewall blocking Internet explorer or port 80.

If it fails and says couldent find target address or unable to resolve address your not connected to the network properly, or maybe there is a setting in some program/filewall application totally blocking internet traffic.

In windows vista the command window can be found under accessories menu in the start menu.

Try a different application, i.e some online game, msn messenger etc , if they work you no its a problem with Internet Explorer only.

From my first glance my opinion is there is some sort of firewall problem as the wireless hub assigned you a IP address and connected you.

Feel free to ask more questions and i`ll do my best to help

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭muffinhead

If nuxxx's suggestion doesn't work try seeing if your bro has manually set the IP address - in the past this has stopped my internet from working (even thought it does connect fine).

Go to Start > Settings > Network Connections

Right click your wireless connection, then select 'Properties'

Select 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)'

Then click 'Properties'

Now make sure it is set to 'Obtain an IP address automatically'

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

Hey guys thanks for the replies,

I'm running vista, Yeah I have a feeling it's a port problem, I just clicked internet explorer there and pops up it says "diagnose problems", when I click this it pops up saying I should check my TCP, FTP, HTTP, HTTPS ports and make sure they are open...

I tried to manually go into options and advance options on my wireless connection, obtain IP automatically is on, I tried to configure the options as I did it before but it was AGES ago but no joy,

Thanks for the replies!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you turned off any firewall you might have? Is the ethernet connection working for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

dub45 wrote: »
    Have you turned off any firewall you might have? Is the ethernet connection working for you?

Hey,

yeah firewall is off, my ethernet cable is awol so can't say for sure...

• Advertisement
Advertisement