Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting Glasses

Options
  • 04-06-2008 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi lads,
    Does any one wear shooting glasses and if so what do you use and what did they cost you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I use a pair of Olympic Champions:
    olympicblauk.jpg
    olympic_red.jpg

€220 from the manufacturer. You could probably get a better deal if you watched ebay for a while.

However, varga and knobloch and the cheaper champion models are just as good. All those adjustments are basicly not as good as having a seperate pair of glasses for each position/discipline. For instance, I will need to get a new set for pistol and probably a new set for prone in the future because there's too much wear and tear going on moving everything around from one position to the other. The lens and the blind both have to travel the entire width of the bar when I go from air rifle to air pistol, for example. If I'd bought the cheaper merkut frames (made by varga) for €60, and gotten two or three pairs (rifle standing&kneeling, rifle prone and pistol standing), I'd have spent a little less on the frames and I'd have more practical and longer-lasting kit.

Besides, the adjustments are so you can adjust the lens position easily - but the nature of these things is that you can't adjust shooting frames on your own anyway - it's not really possible to look through the sights in position and adjust the frames to hold the lens at 90 degrees to the line of sight at the same time. You need an assistant - so who cares if they use an allen key or their fingers to tighten the frames up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I just ordered a pair of Rudy Project Rydon Glasses with the RX (prescription) inserts.

I have a very strong prescription and I am long-sighted so I had to search a bit to get suitable prescription ones. I had to get High Index lenses (if not they would be too thick).

With the Frames, High Index prescription inserts and 5 shades of outer lenses it cost me £210 GBP.

Considering my right eye is virtually a dud maybe I could have just got half :-)

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Hi B'Man. Was also thinking of getting them. Did you consider the Rudy Project Exception Tactical with the ImpactX lenses? I'm waiting on irishfit.com to finalise a price for me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Hi lads,
    Does any one wear shooting glasses and if so what do you use and what did they cost you?

I have a 20 year old pair of shooting glasses fitted with prescription lenses. The lenses aren't 20 years old:) just the frames.

Recently I won a set of Hif Def Spex worth €415 :):) but I'm waiting to get the RX insert and get prescrition lenses fitted. These are supposed to be the bees knees for clay shooting so I'm looking forward to trying them out. Don't think I could justify spending over €400 on glasses though.

Packas,

The Lenses I ordered are PolyCarb.
    I can order the ImpactX lenses aswell but they are ~€100 a throw.

My main concern is jacket splash while RO'ing or brass being thrown back at me while shooting. PolyCarb will save me from that. Here's hoping they never have to.

I've had a piece of brass get caught under the bottom edge of my glasses a while ago which sent me on this quest to find presciption wraparounds. Like I said I only have one good eye so best to look after it.

I'll have them in the next week - hopefully tomorrow so I have em for the Level II - I'll post up what the outcome of the first shoot is. My main concern, as with all glasses is fogging and when you have to shoot crouched so you end up looking through the top of the glasses and what abberations that can cause.

ImpactX is bulletproof and the odds of an actual round needing to be repelled are so infintessimal that I prefered to get the shooting set of polycarb lenses for the same price as one set of ImpactX lenses.

On a tangent I saw a video somewhere of these guys in the states who didn't believe the marketing blurb so they stuck a pair of ImpactX glasses to a post, backed off 10 or 15 yards yards and fired at them with .22 rifle. The rounds skipped off the lenses alright (couldn't tell what damage they had done) but the guys had to duck when one of the rounds came back at them. There's a darwin award in there somwehere :-)

B'Man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

Sparks wrote: »
    I use a pair of Olympic Champions:
    olympicblauk.jpg
    olympic_red.jpg

€220 from the manufacturer. You could probably get a better deal if you watched ebay for a while.

However, varga and knobloch and the cheaper champion models are just as good. All those adjustments are basicly not as good as having a seperate pair of glasses for each position/discipline. For instance, I will need to get a new set for pistol and probably a new set for prone in the future because there's too much wear and tear going on moving everything around from one position to the other. The lens and the blind both have to travel the entire width of the bar when I go from air rifle to air pistol, for example. If I'd bought the cheaper merkut frames (made by varga) for €60, and gotten two or three pairs (rifle standing&kneeling, rifle prone and pistol standing), I'd have spent a little less on the frames and I'd have more practical and longer-lasting kit.

Besides, the adjustments are so you can adjust the lens position easily - but the nature of these things is that you can't adjust shooting frames on your own anyway - it's not really possible to look through the sights in position and adjust the frames to hold the lens at 90 degrees to the line of sight at the same time. You need an assistant - so who cares if they use an allen key or their fingers to tighten the frames up?

f me you need a big head for them:p

rdrr.

Something I should have twigged to when reading the OP - what kind of shooting were you talking about Rabbit?

f me sparks you must spend a small fortune on gear for shooting:eek:

Round about five or six thousand euro in kit so far steve, I think. I don't track it quite tightly enough really. There's probably that again to twice that gone in membership fees, insurance and all the year-to-year running costs since I got all the kit.

Sparks wrote: »
    Round about five or six thousand euro in kit so far steve, I think. I don't track it quite tightly enough really. There's probably that again to twice that gone in membership fees, insurance and all the year-to-year running costs since I got all the kit.

i am very lucky from start to finish .22 rimfire+scope+mounts+2 safe
    gun club and insurance about 1100euro+ammo:)

• Advertisement

If it makes you feel any better, I've heard of people spending far more on one rifle than I did on all my kit :D

The Rudy Project Rydons I ordered arrived today.

I'm quite impressed by the prescription inserts - they cover the majority of my field of vision - in fact the lenses are slightly larger than the glasses I wear at the moment.

Obviously the prescription lenses are behind the shield lenses which makes them quite close to my eyes which is a weird sensation but I guess I'll get used to it. There is no real abberation of the lenses as you look out around the edges which is good.

If I am looking top right, as you might be when you are crouched looking through a low aperture, there is a very slight loss of focus, in comparison to straight ahead.
    Considering that my own glasses do not even cover this part of my field of vision, i.e. to date I have never had as clear a sight picture in this position, I do not see it as a problem.

After a small amount of adjustment of the nose piece, the temples and the arms of the glasses (all made for adjustment) I have them fitting like a glove now.

The shield lenses are individual and snap in and out without much difficulty.
    The set I got comes with five different colours. Clear, Yellow, Red, Brown and Reflective metallic ("Racing") red .

Obviously I haven't been to the range with them yet. I'll try out the different lenses in different light conditions over the next week.
    I'll do some pistol, clays iron sight rifle and a bit'o'benchrest with a scoped rifle (usually wouldn't wear glasses for that but we'll see).

I'll try to get some practical practice in if I can aswell which will help see how they perform in terms of fogging up.

So far all good and fantastic from the perspective of us prescription types.

More when I have it.

B'Man

exc_black_STD_tactical.gif
    These ones Bman? You might find them a bit awkward for peep sights on a rifle because it'd be hard to get them parallel to the back of the rearsight.

Advertisement