Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defining the paranormal.

Options
  • 04-06-2008 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭

Most of the definitions out there seem a little fuzzy. Here's my attempt at a definition.

An unusual occurrence that if true would force a significant reassessment of our understanding of the world.

Must be unusual: If we routinely saw ghosts of the dead as we went about our business they would not be paranormal even though we might have no physical explanation of them. They would simply be an anomaly like the Pioneer effect.

Must force us to reassess our understanding: Hitting a double six on dice three times in a row would be unusual but would not require new laws of physics, therefore not paranormal.

These two conditions I maintain are both necessary and sufficient.

Wikipedia defines the paranormal as "an umbrella term used to describe unusual phenomena or experiences that lack an obvious scientific explanation." The problem here is the word obvious. If something is unusual but has a non-obvious true explanation then it is not paranormal.

Any further refinements or am I being too narrow in my interpretation of the word?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

I generally run with a paranormal thingy is 'a phenomenom that is unobservable in controlled conditions with no plausable method or supporting evidence'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

heh, with the first definition, many physical phenomena such as what happens with light and all this falls under those categories. So perhaps it's not a good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

??? wrote: »
    I generally run with a paranormal thingy is 'a phenomenom that is unobservable in controlled conditions with no plausable method or supporting evidence'.
    So if you believe in scientific testing then it is pointless testing paranormal concepts since, by definition, they are unobservable.

I don't find this appealing. By this view the likes of homeopathy should not be tested even though large numbers of people belive in it.

The definition we are seeking should help us distinguish what is logically paranormal from what is not, before we have done any testing of the particular phenomenon in question.

Telepathy is a paranormal concept. I don't believe in it but I do believe in the testing of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

My view on it is unless their is prior plausability then money should not be spent investigating it. Homeopathy has absolutely zero plausability. The fact large numbers of people believe in it is no reason to investigate it. popularity should have no bearing om science. Telepathy is an observable phenomenom, if it exists. Once someone demonstrates it in controlled conditions then cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

A Paranormal Occurrance:
    A natural occurance or a mental distortion/delusion, experienced/observed commonly enough to be recognised as occurring, but without any accurate explanation for why it occurs. Often has inaccurate, far-fetched theories associated with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement