Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feile And Sunstroke

Options
  • 04-06-2008 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I was talking to a mate last night, remember Feile (the Trip To Tipp) and Sunstroke, the old school Irish festivals in the 90s? I was too young to go, but my big brothers did and they had a lot of class stories about it. Did anyone ever wake up surrounded by sheep? Rage Against The Machine played Feile, I would have loved to see that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Potcher

og god yeah, managed to get hit by a car and arrested for having bit of smoke all in one night:D
    great oul days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I remember the last SunStroke ('95) at the indoor pavilion in the RDS. Soundgarden headlined, with support from White Zombie, pennywise, mudhoney and another band I can't remember.

But White Zombie pwnz3d all of them (including Soundgarden who had a terrible sound issue that night so was a complete let down)

Ah .... sweet 16 at the time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭nevisgod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Was too young to go to these, but i remember my brothers coming home wasted for days afterwards, and my mum giving out! With 5 sons she had plenty of festivals and stuff to be giving out about over the years!

Bumping a 3 year old thread...

Does anyone know who ran Sunstroke? And was it on in Dalymount for 2 years, then the RDS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Sorry, I do not know the answer to the last question, but was just reading the posts previous to it.

I recall clearly that Rage against the machine gig at feile all those years ago. There was some extreme moshing. Closest I came to dying when the crowd swayed and toppled over, with myself under the pile-up. Great days though. Other highlights of Feile:-

- Stone Roses gig. Didn't notice that Ian Brown can't sing until I saw it on video afterwards (no DVDs, digital cameras or youtube back then)
    - Saw Doctors throwing bales of hay into crowd
    - Seeing Blur, I think at Cork Feile
    Can't remember the rest.

I never made it to Féile, but I was at Sunstroke '94 (Chili's, Therapy and Helmet) and '95 (White Zombie, Mudhoney, Soundgarden)

I was only asking as there still seems to be a great demand for that kind of one day rock festival in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Was at two Sunstrokes and one Feile, I think the first Dalymount Sunstroke was meant to be headlined by RHCP who would have been touring Blood Sugar Sex Magik at the time but they pulled out and were replaced by Faith No More, which I missed then for some reason.

RHCP then played the next one, supported by Ice Cube, Frank Black, Helmet and some others.

The next one was in the indoor one, was that the last one?

Great gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Shane Mc Gowan swaying off stage - and never coming back
    Chris De Burgh - and a performing stripper on stage
    Blur was indeed Cork, but also Thurles and few years before that
    INXS in Thurles
    Queueing up for Breakfasts in people's houses (Thurles)
    Orbital closing the Cork Feile in the main stadium with giant visuals of Maggie Thatcher with and big X through her face
    Kylie performing at 3pm on a Friday afternoon on the main stage in Cork
    The Square in Thurles being the main party area
    Big Indie Friday in Thurles in 1991 - Ride, Happy Mondays, The Farm
    The Jim Rose Circus Sideshow
    Sorry, I do not know the answer to the last question, but was just reading the posts previous to it.

I recall clearly that Rage against the machine gig at feile all those years ago. There was some extreme moshing. Closest I came to dying when the crowd swayed and toppled over, with myself under the pile-up. Great days though. Other highlights of Feile:-

- Stone Roses gig. Didn't notice that Ian Brown can't sing until I saw it on video afterwards (no DVDs, digital cameras or youtube back then)
    Can't remember the rest.

nm wrote: »
    Was at two Sunstrokes and one Feile, I think the first Dalymount Sunstroke was meant to be headlined by RHCP who would have been touring Blood Sugar Sex Magik at the time but they pulled out and were replaced by Faith No More, which I missed then for some reason.

RHCP then played the next one, supported by Ice Cube, Frank Black, Helmet and some others.

The next one was in the indoor one, was that the last one?

Great gigs.

The one in the RDS was the last one. I remember there was some talk of a Sunstroke 97 happening in pubs across Dublin. Quite thankful that didn't happen.

Anyone remember Frank Black's fairly awful set with all the crowd singing "Who ate all the pies" at him? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Can't remember the rest.

I was at Feile in 1994 and 1995. My mother actually saw me on telly moshing to RATM. They had this camera on a long pole that went out over the audience. Great craic. You couldnt do it nowadays.

*swings back in rocking chair*

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Stretchryan

Went all the thurles feiles apart from the first one. Was allowed go at 14.

What an eye opener!! White Diamond cider from lads from Belfast.

Sunstroke was really cool. Scheer my only time seen them. amazing voice on audrey.

soundgarden been blown of stage by White Zombie. Therapy? joined on stage by Page Hamilton in the outdoor one... Great days!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

WOuld have been great if there was some footage lying around. Well, Soundgarden did some shows in the America this summer, so who knows, they might get back over this side of the world next year in better shape!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Went all the thurles feiles apart from the first one. Was allowed go at 14.

What an eye opener!! White Diamond cider from lads from Belfast.

Sunstroke was really cool. Scheer my only time seen them. amazing voice on audrey.

soundgarden been blown of stage by White Zombie. Therapy? joined on stage by Page Hamilton in the outdoor one... Great days!!

What ever happened to Scheer? The lead singer had an amazing voice. I've an old single of theirs and still give it a spin every now and then.

I remember i was amazed at the amount of nordies going to the festivals drinking red stripe beer. It was like being in another country for me at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Stretchryan

They have one class album "Infliction". And some great b-sides from singles from that album. They then released album called "and finally" on own label. Not much use at all.

Pity as in Audrey they had an amazing voice. So many decent Irish bands in that era

What ever happened to Scheer? The lead singer had an amazing voice. I've an old single of theirs and still give it a spin every now and then.

I remember i was amazed at the amount of nordies going to the festivals drinking red stripe beer. It was like being in another country for me at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Why did I have to be 9 when this was on!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I was at Sunstroke in 93 and 94, both in Dalymount. 93 was meant to be headlined by RHCP, as a previous poster mentioned, but was instead headlined by Faith No More. Also featured Sonic Youth, Sugar, Belly and Disposable Heroes of Hip-Hoprisy. 94 saw the Chili Peppers joined by Therapy, Helmet, Frank Black, Ice Cube. Great days, both of them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ouravit

Ah Felie down in Thurles. Brings back some great memories.

The locals pulled the plug on it because the town got trashed every year.
    Carter USM on the main stage during the afternoon letting of fireworks.
    Lashings of rain during Christy Moore. Crowd using the floor mats as shelter.
    Everyone outa the nut on strawberry's during INIX.
    The Saw Doctors throwing hay bales into the crowd using pitchforks.
    The Wonderstuff and Vic Reeves playing THAT song "Dizzy"

Also remember the hare krishna marquee in the campsite falling down. Lads going around the tent pulling out the pegs.

Linden Village Cider

Great Days !!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ouravit

This song was written about The Trip To Tip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqPm1J-nyMU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Féile '90 & '91 veteran.

I remember The Happy Mondays, not sure which year. They had this huge crowd of Scallies that arrived into the stadium really late. Seemed to be hundreds of them suddenly appearing, all wearing really baggy jeans, hoodies and bucket hats. Off their heads most of them, and they all slunk back onto buses for the ferry afterwards. I remember Meatloaf opened the festival one of the years and was really, pitifully, awful.

Saw a fellah selling Heineken out of a hearse, 24 cans for £20 AFAIR, a hardware store selling sandwiches, a fella getting a blow job on the stairs of Haye's hotel, and saw a small dog get run over by a car, whilst I was having a pint outside Bowe's.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Ouravit wrote: »

Also remember the hare krishna marquee in the campsite falling down. Lads going around the tent pulling out the pegs.

I was there for that - was mayhem - poor hare's microphones robbed also?!
    This was after they gave free food all weekend!

Advertisement