Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi New Price List - July Prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

Biro wrote: »
    It always baffled me how someone can get one of the entry engines and spend €22,508 on extras! I'd always get the best engine I could afford! Like a 2.0 TDi A6 with all those extras or a 3.0 TDi quattro with hardly any extra, I know which I'd pick!

I guess its very common in the market, than people will pay a little over the odds for a spec'ed up smaller car, when they could have the base model in the next model up, lets call it the Overlap.

For example, I'm sure its possible to put a few extra's on a 2.0L diesel A3, and it costs more than a base model A4, and similar with A4-A6, and A6-A8.

and all other manufacturers for that matter.

This spec'ed up Passat estate '07 is €45k: http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Passat/ESTATE-2.0/754430/

Heres an '07 s-line A4 avant for €37k with very low miles.
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/Avant-STRAIGHT/277370/

both are 2.0L diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I've currently got a 520d on order that has an ex. works price of just over €77,000 (520d M-Sport Touring Auto, HUD, Night Vision, Media Pack, Leather etc. etc.). The driver is more than happy with the power from the engine so spent the rest of his allowance on toys (including de-badge).

That's not far off the new cost of a 530d M-Sport Auto saloon in standard trim, but then what would he mess around with while sitting in traffic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

sk8board wrote: »
    II'm sure its possible to put a few extra's on a 2.0L diesel A3, and it costs more than a base model A4, and similar with A4-A6, and A6-A8.

I'd rather have an A4 than an A6 or A8, so it seems perfectly sensible to me. Why buy a poverty-spec car just because it's a bigger model when you can have a more sensibly sized car with a lot of kit?

The only downside is that at resale time, you may not get your value back on pricey options.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

R.O.R wrote: »
    I've currently got a 520d on order that has an ex. works price of just over €77,000 (520d M-Sport Touring Auto, HUD, Night Vision, Media Pack, Leather etc. etc.). The driver is more than happy with the power from the engine so spent the rest of his allowance on toys (including de-badge).

That's not far off the new cost of a 530d M-Sport Auto saloon in standard trim, but then what would he mess around with while sitting in traffic?

yep, most people dont care about speed, power etc as long as the car can move along reasonably well

Zube wrote: »
    The only downside is that at resale time, you may not get your value back on pricey options.

and I guess that is exactly what we are discussing; the resale value of Extras - is it worth the cost, for the benefit of playing with yourself, I mean extras, while sitting in traffic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

and I guess that is exactly what we are discussing; the resale value of Extras - is it worth the cost, for the benefit of playing with yourself, I mean extras, while sitting in traffic

It is for this driver. Extra's were added to the car to bring it up to his limit. We didn't move the RV from a standard 520d M-Sport Auto Touring, so if the extra's do add value at the end we win, if they don't we dont loose.

Driver has upped his annual mileage this year so his BIK will actually be lower than last year.

Win - Win in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

They are worth it if you get some enjoyment out of them or if they improve your overall motoring experience.

I mean there is no point in ticking all the boxes on the options list for no reason, but if you are going to use the options you pick and lets say appreciate the difference a bit of leather trim makes, then they are worth while.

conneem-TT wrote: »
    They are worth it if you get some enjoyment out of them or if they improve your overall motoring experience.

I mean there is no point in ticking all the boxes on the options list for no reason, but if you are going to use the options you pick and lets say appreciate the difference a bit of leather trim makes, then they are worth while.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for extra's, but the sensible side of my brain kick in and says there should be some sort of cost/benefit.

For example: I have voice-controlled-dual-electronic-climate-control in my car. I never use it, but its a great gadget. I call her Moneypenny. she also changes channel, CD, CD track and even answers the phone. She cost €500, and that included upgraded alloys (17"), auto wipers, autodim rear view, AND keyless entry/start. For €500 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for extra's, but the sensible side of my brain kick in and says there should be some sort of cost/benefit.

For example: I have voice-controlled-dual-electronic-climate-control in my car. I never use it, but its a great gadget. I call her Moneypenny. she also changes channel, CD, CD track and even answers the phone. She cost €500, and that included upgraded alloys (17"), auto wipers, autodim rear view, AND keyless entry/start. For €500 ?

I do agree, there definitely has to be good cost/benefit ratio, because some extras have insane prices for what they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I'd rather have an A4 than an A6 or A8, so it seems perfectly sensible to me. Why buy a poverty-spec car just because it's a bigger model when you can have a more sensibly sized car with a lot of kit?

That's the thing... an A8 base spec isn't lacking equipment to start with!
    And what's sensibly sized? You say A4, I might say A8, someone else might say Smart Car.
    I really can't understand the guy with the €77,000 520d. If I were to buy an entry 520d, for €47,000, I'd be laughing to myself at yer man with €30k down the swanny for the same car as me, except for a few extra buttons.
    Think about it... thirty thousand euro for a few extras. It already comes with climate control, alloy wheels, and if you like, leather for an extra €1500 or so, what more do you need? If you're that hard up for entertainment you'd get a fantastic TV and entertainment system for your living room and a nice holiday for that money! If you want a better car go for the 530d.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

And what's sensibly sized? You say A4, I might say A8, someone else might say Smart Car.
    I really can't understand the guy with the €77,000 520d. If I were to buy an entry 520d, for €47,000, I'd be laughing to myself at yer man with €30k down the swanny for the same car as me, except for a few extra buttons.
    Think about it... thirty thousand euro for a few extras. It already comes with climate control, alloy wheels, and if you like, leather for an extra €1500 or so, what more do you need? If you're that hard up for entertainment you'd get a fantastic TV and entertainment system for your living room and a nice holiday for that money! If you want a better car go for the 530d.

leather is 2200 not 1500 and you would be nuts not to get mettalic for 11000 also. Personally I'd upgrade the alloys too, but that would be it.

I'm not against your point of view but there is a certain level of options needed to make the car saleable in the future imo

copacetic wrote: »
    leather is 2200 not 1500 and you would be nuts not to get mettalic for 11000 also. Personally I'd upgrade the alloys too, but that would be it.

I'm not against your point of view but there is a certain level of options needed to make the car saleable in the future imo

You can get that fake leather for €345 on Beemers, that apparently most people don't know the difference! I presume metallic is 1,100... if it's 11k then I'll do without!! But ya, while I mightn't bother with any extras, I can completely understand a small few, like those mentioned, to a maximum of maybe €5,000, but that'd be pushing it in my opinion. €30,000 of extras to me is the move of an idiot or someone who doesn't know what else to do with his money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

€77k would buy you a 530i or 530d SE Touring with leather and an Automatic gearbox(the only extras needed anyway in a car) - give me them over a 520d with €30k of extras any day of the week. I suppose that's what makes me a car enthusiast and not a badge snob.

Hell for €4k more you could have a 535d with the all important Automatic gearbox as standard.

E92 wrote: »
    €77k would buy you a 530i or 530d SE Touring with leather and an Automatic gearbox(the only extras needed anyway in a car) - give me them over a 520d with €30k of extras any day of the week. I suppose that's what makes me a car enthusiast and not a badge snob.

Hell for €4k more you could have a 535d with the all important Automatic gearbox as standard.

i agree but someone who spends 70k on a 520 can hardly be called a badge snob, would that no be reserved for the guy who buys the base model with the fake 'leather' (and you can tell the difference, its awful, cant understand why anyone would go for this), the fella who spends all the money on extras obviously prefers creature comforts to all out performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Bear in mind that this is a company car and his company is prepared to buy him a car for €77,000. It's not his money that's down the swanny.
    He has the choice of buying a high power car with limited spec, a "low" power car with huge spec, or not spending the money at all and letting his company keep it (possibly getting it back through his wages, but not definitely). Those facts should inform your judgement of this particular driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

interesting thread!
    have a 04 1.9A3 atm, v happy with it, except for the cloth seats! The new price list is fairly tasty, when is the new A3 model out does anyone know?

Cyrus wrote: »
    i agree but someone who spends 70k on a 520 can hardly be called a badge snob, would that no be reserved for the guy who buys the base model with the fake 'leather' (and you can tell the difference, its awful, cant understand why anyone would go for this), the fella who spends all the money on extras obviously prefers creature comforts to all out performance

I completely disagree. The 520d is a good car. It's a proper step up from the Passat/Accord/Avensis etc group, as it's similar size or slightly bigger, more refined and holds it's value well considering the price range. Someone who buys the base model is making a financially wise move. Minimise the percentage depreciation, still get the same car as the guy with more buttons.
    A 116i is a badge snob, 316i, etc...

Cyrus wrote: »
    i agree but someone who spends 70k on a 520 can hardly be called a badge snob

I think he can: why choose a base engine for that money? Because you don't care about performance at all, even when you can easily afford a performance car. Why buy a BMW if you don't care about performance?

Because you're a badge snob.

like i said, it wouldnt be my choice, but a well specced 5 series even in 520d guise (which is 180bhp and an adequate performer) is a nicer place to be than anything from the class below.

maybe the purchaser like the look of a 5 series sport?

A badge snob is somebody who buys the lowest spec in the entry range imo

I completely disagree. The 520d is a good car. It's a proper step up from the Passat/Accord/Avensis etc group, as it's similar size or slightly bigger, more refined and holds it's value well considering the price range. Someone who buys the base model is making a financially wise move. Minimise the percentage depreciation, still get the same car as the guy with more buttons.
    A 116i is a badge snob, 316i, etc...

sorry i was agreeing with buying a 530 over a 520, i dont believe a buyer with a well specced 520 is a badge snob as articulated below.

id never buy a 520d, but my dad has one, he has driven bmws for years and likes them but doesnt drive fast and the engine suits him just fine

• Advertisement

The 520d is fantastic value at €46k, which is the entry price. We're getting one for precisely that reason in July. The only extra ours has is cow skin(the real stuff and not the pseudo stuff) and metallic paint, as well as dual zone climate control. It is still good value at the pre July price of €54k, or even €58k.

At €77k it is anything but. If you're spending that much on a car then you should be getting one of those 6 cylinder models at least.

I also would not buy a 520d. That engine isn't that fast, certainly there is less between it and the E34/E39 520i(2.0) than I was expecting. It is a big improvement on our 1.8 Avensis but you'd expect that considering that has a 50 bhp deficit and 126 lb ft less torque.

My E34 520i is as smooth as silk, loves to be revved and is much quieter at low revs while making a much better noise at higher revs. It's not a lot slower if you're prepared to give it some stick.

The engine is neither refined nor quiet enough to be worthy of an executive car. It's also not very cultured sounding too. Executive cars should have at least 5 and preferably 6 cylinders under the bonnet really.

Even the 6 pot diesels sound far better and are quieter to boot, as well as being usefully quicker too.

All that said, at €46k it is outstanding value and deserves to sell much better than ever before as a result. The fact it has been shown by the Sunday Times to be more frugal than the Toyota Prius is also an excellent reason to go for it. It is more than fast enough for the vast majority of buyers too, and is faster than most other cars out there, especially for the price. There is absolutely no way the 523i for example can justify being €12k dearer than the 520i though. Even the 525d would want to be pretty special to justify paying €14k more for it than the 520d.

[/Audi content in thread]

[Newthreadcontent=BMW]

Continue...

:p

Sorry AudiChris but I can't be blamed for changing the topic this time(that was R.O.R who chimed in about the €77k 520d) - even if I didn't do anything to get it back on topic either:D!

In fairness a lot of what has been said for the 520d with loads of extras vs a more powerful one with fewer extra applies equally for the A6/E-class etc.

There's nothing extraordinary about 520d buyers vs A6 2.0TDI/E220 CDI buyers and most people unfortunately think the same way... why people don't spend more on the bigger smoother engines is beyond me when you're paying that much for a car is beyond me.

Sorry AudiChris but I can't be blamed for changing the topic this time(that was R.O.R who chimed in about the €77k 520d)

Don't worry, R.O.R will feel my wrath in time... :p:p
    why people don't spend more on the bigger smoother engines is beyond me when you're paying that much for a car

You gotta leave it up to the buyer though. My high-spec A6 buyer could have easily afforded an A8 (possibly several of them, I didn't ask :p). When I suggested an A8, he said that he didn't want one as it was too big/noticeable.

We also have a very famous celebrity talking to us at the moment about an A5. This guy would buy and sell the dealership several times over before he got bored and moved on, but he doesn't want the 3.0TDi. He's happy with the 2.7TDi as long as it's green and it's got the B&O sound system.

We'll supply the customer with what they want because that's good customer service. If they're not a high-performance driver, then why bother with a high-performance car. Same applies to R.O.R's driver.

AudiChris wrote: »
    If they're not a high-performance driver, then why bother with a high-performance car.

You're that nice Skoda Superb salesman, aren't you?

You're that nice Skoda Superb salesman, aren't you?

Ask around, there's no such thing as a "nice salesman" :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

We also have a very famous celebrity talking to us at the moment about an A5. This guy would buy and sell the dealership several times over before he got bored and moved on, but he doesn't want the 3.0TDi. He's happy with the 2.7TDi as long as it's green and it's got the B&O sound system.

We'll supply the customer with what they want because that's good customer service.

Sell him the new 2.0 TFSI over the TDI then! ;)

FYI - Audi have emailed the optional extras pricing to their dealers as of this afternoon.

I'm not going to post them here as there's too many different permutations/files, but they'll be producing a cleaned up version which will go up on audi.ie in due course.

Suffice it to say that, as far as I can tell, the VRT changes have been applied to the extras too, with some going up and some going down and 5 different prices for metallic paint on the A4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

FYI - Audi have emailed the optional extras pricing to their dealers as of this afternoon.

I'm not going to post them here as there's too many different permutations/files, but they'll be producing a cleaned up version which will go up on audi.ie in due course.

Suffice it to say that, as far as I can tell, the VRT changes have been applied to the extras too, with some going up and some going down and 5 different prices for metallic paint on the A4.

Excellent news i meant to ask the salesperson i was dealing with last week if the prices i was being quoted had the VRT adjusted.

Oh and while I'm here anyone know when the 2.0 diesel 170bhp A4 while be available for order here I'm hoping to order an A4 in Late September for Jan09 and would like to get the 170.

• Advertisement

It should be available for Sept delivery based on start of production in August. Jan delivery should be fine.

Advertisement