Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I spent some time working in a Lab in an Oil refinery, and the differences between green diesel and "pump" diesel is the Sulphur levels.

All Road Diesel that you buy at the pumps is supposed to have a sulphur level below 50ppm (parts per million). It's often called "low Sulphur" or "City Diesel". The level was set to reduce acid rain. To get the sulphur level down to that value, the sulphur has to be removed by scrubbers (bloody expensive - An aside, that is one of the main reasons for diesel prices being so high, there is such a demand for diesel in Asia & China that don't have low sulphur requirements. So, manufacturers are switching to that diesel as it's cheaper to make!)

Green Diesel has no sulphur limits, as it's not to be used on the road. Typical values (from memory) are up around 300 to 500ppm. So, when customs take a sample of diesel, if the diesel is washed (no colour), they measure the sulphur content. If it's above 50ppm, it's green diesel.

Both have very similar viscosity, boiling points, density, flash points (1 or 2 degrees difference) so burning them in an old engine makes no difference (I'm not sure about the dye and common rail pumps). I know it's the acid wash in laundered diesel messes up the common rail pumps, and that's where the problem with the wallet lies...

Advertisement