Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain Cleaner Kit

Options
  • 04-06-2008 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used a Chain Cleaner Kit before?

I have to admit I am a little lazy when it comes to giving my transmission a good proper clean. But if a gadget can fool me into thinking I'm saving time and energy, then bring it on :pac::pac::pac:

A few reviews seem to suggest that the plastic casing on these cleaners can be a little brittle, so if anyone has a recommendation for one that's durable please share !

davej

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I have the Park Tool one
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8207

If anything ever happened to it I'd buy another without hesitation. It's a real labour-saver. I like the fact that you can buy a replacement set of brushes for it too (also on CRC).

I suspect that some of the people reporting cracking plastic are using harmful solvents in the cleaners (white spirit etc.). Stick with citrus degreaser and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

Those kits are great.

As Morgan pointed out, make sure to use the proper cleaners. I’d also ad, some people really abuse their equipment and then wonder why it breaks in no time at all…

[FONT=&quot]** Morgan ** What do you think of using white spirits and a toothbrush to clean the chain? [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Chris Peak wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]** Morgan ** What do you think of using white spirits and a toothbrush to clean the chain? [/FONT]

It's highly effective if you take the chain off, soak it for a bit, give it a good scrub on all sides and then rinse it off with clean spirts. Takes ages and isn't good for your hands or the environment. Or your toothbrush. Does get the chain really clean though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

id say it gets your teeth good and clean after also!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I got a chain cleaner, worked ok. I used boiling water to wash it. A rather idiotic maneuver which warped the plastic.

To clean the chain now, I just take it off and use the white spirits. With a quick link it's no hassle.

Gav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Chris Peak wrote: »
    I’d also ad, some people really abuse their equipment and then wonder why it breaks in no time at all…

Verb wrote: »
    I used boiling water to wash it. A rather idiotic maneuver which warped the plastic.

Aha ! :)

Thanks for the recommendation Morgan, I might try the Park Tools one out so.

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Once again, Sheldon has all the answers

http://sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I found the details on the Park Tools website very good. Don't skip the soap + water step.

Even with the tool it's a messy job so put down some papers under the chain when you are doing it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I know I'm repeating myself here but who's counting!
    Firstly, I would never use white spirits to clean any part of my bike as it is a corrosive substance and repeated application to alloy parts is going to do some damage.
    Secondly, my own preferred method of cleaning the drive train and indeed any part that needs to be cleaned of oil or grease is GUNK.
    It is non-corrosive and simple to use. Apply with a paint brush and then wash away with plain water. If need be the chain can be left to soak in GUNK without the risk of corrosion. After rinsing with water, use WD40 to remove any lingering moisture.
    I oil the chain with motorbike chain lube from an aerosol but there are many different opinions on what's best, from WD40 to 3-in-1 Oil to regular engine oil or even grease.
    I think Sheldon may be taking the pi$$ with that rather elaborate chain cleaning procedure. I would certainly never have cause to dismantle an entire chain!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Hermy wrote: »
    ... use WD40 to remove any lingering moisture.... but there are many different opinions on what's best, from WD40 to 3-in-1 Oil to regular engine oil or even grease.

can is now open, sit back and wait for Kona to weigh in on those comments!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I think Sheldon may be taking the pi$$ with that rather elaborate chain cleaning procedure. I would certainly never have cause to dismantle an entire chain!

It was one of his (in)famous April Fools jokes.

AndyP wrote: »
    Once again, Sheldon has all the answers

http://sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html

damn i have my chain apart and am about to develop lung cancer so im now doubtful for the W200!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scrivo

I thought he was serious for a moment... then I scrolled down. Note! This page is a joke! Note the date above!

ShelBroCo does not actually recommend taking your chain completely apart! Deakinol Rinsing Solvent, Shelbrothane Cleaning Solvent, Shelbroconol Pre-soak, and Deakins White RollerGrease are all imaginary products.

If you are looking for serious advice on Chain Maintence, click here!

Have I mentioned the unmentionable or something...:o
    penexpers wrote: »
    It was one of his (in)famous April Fools jokes.

Thought as much.:D

Genealogy Forum Mod

Scrivo wrote: »
    If you are looking for serious advice on Chain Maintence, click here!

I did and nothing happened.:confused:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Verb wrote: »
    I got a chain cleaner, worked ok. I used boiling water to wash it.
    I have the BBB cleaner and some dilute-to-use degreasing stuff. Works great.
    I use warm water with the degreaser and when rinsing it.

It's great to find that your chain isn't actually black in colour and that there is text on the side of the chain links. I cleaned my chain and bike last weekend in prep for the W200.

Dont know how he gets time for bikes, what with all the time he spends threthening to knock the bollix out of every driver and rasher in Dublin. Its a busy life. ;)

As a sort of apology for my earlier joke, here is the proper chain maintenance linky...

http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

I use warm water with the degreaser and when rinsing it.

Most degreasers I have used work best if water is applied after the degreaser has dissolved the grease.

Genealogy Forum Mod

where do ye get this degreaser?

• Advertisement

Halfords or any decent motorfactors.
    And if they don't have GUNK try Trafsol or whatever 'shops own brand' is available.

Genealogy Forum Mod

is this stuff usable with the cleaning kits? I got a cleaning kit but it only came with enough liquid for one use I'd say.

Never used one of those cleaning kits meself but it'd probably work fine.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

I like the cleaning kit, much better than a toothbrush. However last weekend I filled it with white lightening to get some sparkling chains. Success I have shiny chains but I also have a black machine. HAve no idea how to clean it. Left it steeping in a bucket with fairy liquid - no effect. Any ideas how to get oily residue off the windows of the cleaner? Of course if the crap is unmovable I can use the thing again no problems:)

No use toothbrush!
    enginedegrease.jpg
    20210.jpg
    water_20hose_small~s600x600.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

white lightening

What's this?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

What's this?
    It's a chain-specific lube. www.whitelightningco.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

this is what I meant: whitelightning
    http://www.whitelightningco.com/products/clean-streak.htm

had used citrus degreasers before and found them better. But this stuff is magic on the cassettes.

<edit>
    As Blorg wrote, but I'd meant the degreaser.

I got a cheap Barberi Chain Cleaner from PBK (no longer in stock, but it was around £4) and it works great. The one thing that I do notice on it, that is covered by the more expensive cleaners like the Finish Line, is the exit angle/padding - my one lacks this and the cleaning fluid can leak out. For cleaning, I use Park Tool ChainBrite Citrus Degreaser - this stuff really does the job in the chain cleaner. I had tried Muc-Off (not strong enough) and white spirit but the citrus degreaser is a lot better. The white spirit would probably work great in the chain off the bike shake around in a jamjar method, but it's a messy smelly dangerous nuisance in a chain cleaning device.

• Advertisement

oobydooby wrote: »
    I like the cleaning kit, much better than a toothbrush. However last weekend I filled it with white lightening to get some sparkling chains. Success I have shiny chains but I also have a black machine. HAve no idea how to clean it. Left it steeping in a bucket with fairy liquid - no effect. Any ideas how to get oily residue off the windows of the cleaner? Of course if the crap is unmovable I can use the thing again no problems:)
    Mine is filthy but still works fine, if it's any help.

Advertisement