Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant for birthday meal

• 04-06-2008 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

I'm going for a meal for my bday on Friday and am looking to reserve a restaurant today/tomorrow. I always end up in the same old places and am looking for somewhere new - preferably not Italian or Japanese/Chinese since I always eat that! Although I'd be happy to try a really nice authentic type Italian. I can't afford more than 70 e or so for starters, mains and wine (for 2 of us) and I can go anywhere in the city centre, Dublin 4,6 area. Looking for somewhere fairly busy but with a nice laid back atmosphere.....would appreciate any suggestions!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

There's a sticky at the top of this forum with restaurant suggestions. Look there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Or try www.menupages.ie

Lots of reviews with location/ food type breakdown in there.

My fav at the mo is Kajjal in Malahide- though its not easy to get a reservation. Gorgeous pakistani food- really top class, excellent buzz....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Wild Lilys on the Upr Rathmines Road is quite nice. It's small and can be busy at the weekends but the food is good and fairly reasonably priced. They have yummy chicken wings (imo) and I had some of the nicest lamb cutlets i've ever tasted there.

They also do a mean brunch! Menupages link: http://www.menupages.ie/Restaurants/Wild_Lily.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

€70 for the both of you??

Cafe Bar Deli?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Claire121

Yes....lol why? A 70e ($140 :eek:) meal in a normal non fancy restaurant for 2 people would be considered extortion in any other country. Surely it's not hard to keep it to 70-75 euro or less than that for 2 starters, 2 mains and a bottle of wine? Never usually have any trouble....

Thanks for the suggestions! I've also checked the restaurants sticky, hard decision!

• Advertisement

€70 /= $140
    €70 = $108

You shouldn't have any problems keeping it under €70 for two people as long as you're not expecting 3 courses with wine and coffee. A main course is likely to be in the region of €15 - €20 in most mid-range places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Claire121

Ah yes I was thinking of sterling conversation rate but 108 dollars is still LOADS for 2 people for that amount of food. We always used to get dinner for 70-80 dollars in NYC, in decent/well known places as well! I find it hard to get used to how much things cost here (obviously it is relative though as I'm paid more here)
    I don't generally take coffee or dessert, so 70e would be for just the two courses as I stated in the original post. I was surprised that someone thought that was unrealistic/cheap, as to me it's a total rip, LOL.

Unfortunately the cost of living is higher over here. :(

Advertisement