Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the womens mini Marathon be banned

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I'd be all for it if they had to run in their underwear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

marylou82 wrote: »
    Firstly Irish guys are hardly oil paintings..Im sure you're no George Clooney.

Secondly..this race raises loads of money for charity, whats the big deal?? Givin out about traffic disruptions, come on.WALK for god sake.

Fristly no Im no George clooney otherwise my name would be george clooney

secondly I would have walked but I wasn't allowed enter the big walk through town

I literally cant believe that some posters are being so *petty*
    Who gives a flying fukk what it's called?
    It's a fun event raising money for charities ffs.
    Lighten up for the love of God and stop trying to find fault with everything!

Its a sexually discriminatory event

its false and misleadingly named

And Im not finding fault with everything Im finding fault with this particular race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

the moonwalk is what you need!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Emmm... no... have you seen some of the ones at the end of it, sure there may be plenty of young ladies, but there are plenty of severly overweight and elderly too don't forget the odd lad in drag too, there are limits to what I can block out and repress, this could scar me for life. Also with Irish weather being what it is I think only those with a smurf fetish would be able to enjoy it most years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

ixoy wrote: »
    Maybe there should be a men's mini marathon then, sponsored by Guinness or Rambo or something to even it out.

Of course there should!
    I propose that the route runs from Darndale, through Sheriff Street and finish in Ballymun.
    Help ye run a bit faster guys ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I run half this distance as a warm up in the gym.

Using the name marathon devaules the effort of those who've ran the 26 miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

industria wrote: »
    That makes more sense than anything else in this thread.. Period!

Jaysus don't bring PMS into it. They'll go mental!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

farohar wrote: »
    Emmm... no... have you seen some of the ones at the end of it, sure there may be plenty of young ladies, but there are plenty of severly overweight and elderly too don't forget the odd lad in drag too, there are limits to what I can block out and repress, this could scar me for life. Also with Irish weather being what it is I think only those with a smurf fetish would be able to enjoy it most years.

Ah sure I'm cool with whatever they look like.

Everyone has their own tastes, I'll look at the ones I like, other guys can look at chubby ones etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Been telling everyone that you did a "marathon" at the weekend then I guess?

robinph wrote: »
    Been telling everyone that you did a "marathon" at the weekend then I guess?

Jesus Christ.
    Whats with the attitude?
    Not that it's any of your business but no, I did not do the mini marathon.

Jesus Christ.
    Whats with the attitude?

jesus christ :eek:
    whats with the attitude?

you know the dodgy emails you get
    "buy your doctorate for only $1000, no exams, no thesis". Calling a 10km a mini0marathon is like having a PhD from one of these places!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Todoquetengo

Jesus Christ.
    Whats with the attitude?

What people are trying to say is that a marathon and a 6 mile run are completely different. Therefore it's a bit frustrating for people who have trained for months and then pushed themselves to the limit on the day to complete a marathon to have that acheivement confused with a 6 mile race.

While for many people running or walking 6 miles is a huge achievement and they should be proud of themselves, those who complete a marathon (or those who really want to achieve it some day) feel there is no comparison between both, hence it really annoys us when people say they did a marathon when they are talking about 6 miles.

Although I can understand why it probably seems a very trivial point to some people :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Jesus Christ.
    Whats with the attitude?

No attitude here, your the one who seems to be getting offended.

Merely feel it's inappropriate to be calling the event a marathon of any type and that it should not be a women only event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Rob_l wrote: »
    And Im not finding fault with everything Im finding fault with this particular race
    Someone could really quote this out of context.

Blisterman wrote: »
    Someone could really quote this out of context.

Ok work away sir!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I hope those wagons who were planning on walking and refused to move back got trampled.

Seriously, it just takes a bit of common sense to realise that some people actually trained enough to want to win and by getting in their way you're being unfair. Fat Freda from Fermanagh who spent the year eating biscuits and doing the odd run to the shop to get more biscuits does not deserve to be up front.

I'd love if a mini marathon for men was introduced. You just know that some women would be screaming from the rooftops about how unfair it was, etc. It would be hilarious!

janeybabe wrote: »
    Seriously, it just takes a bit of common sense to realise that some people actually trained enough to want to win and by getting in their way you're being unfair. Fat Freda from Fermanagh who spent the year eating biscuits and doing the odd run to the shop to get more biscuits does not deserve to be up front.

There is an elite start for those people who are likely to be in the money to win the race. I don't run this race because I object to
    1. the marathon name
    2. the discrimination against men
    but from what I understand the elite start is reasonable well policed. The problem is that the slower runners are in the same start as the walkers and your friend Freda.

There is an elite start for those people who are likely to be in the money to win the race. I don't run this race because I object to
    1. the marathon name
    2. the discrimination against men
    but from what I understand the elite start is reasonable well policed. The problem is that the slower runners are in the same start as the walkers and your friend Freda.

Ok, I get it now. Still, if I was to do it I'd stay at the back because I know others would be faster than me. It's just obnoxious for a walker to think they should be in front of a runner.

• Advertisement

A single walker is the least of the problem. 6 Freda sized women abreast is a significant detour!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

I even think it shouldn't be compared to other 10k races, let alone a marathon. For most people it isn't a race at all. Its a power walk/jog with plenty of chat at the same time. It devalues the effort some have made to achieve a good time in a 10k race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Ok, I get it now. Still, if I was to do it I'd stay at the back because I know others would be faster than me. It's just obnoxious for a walker to think they should be in front of a runner.

As Albert Reynolds once famously said "That's women for you".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Round them up and execute the ringleaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

I agree. This thread should've been about Sheila's Wheels or something :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Well, I got a good day's exercise and I raised e800 for the Irish Cancer Society, so I definitely don't think it should be banned! I think it's a great event, and a bit of craic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Keep it (no issue there), retain it as a women only jaunt. Just remove the word "marathon" from the title of the event.
    The Womens Mini

would they all have to wear minis then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I fail to see why people are getting up on there high-horses about this, its always been called a "mini-marathon" and it's not likely to change. A mini-marathon has always been any race under 26.2 miles in length, and the mini-marathon in Dublin is the largest all female 10km race in the world, it's been there since 1993 and it raises a decent amount of money for charities. It's a road-race so I can't see it ever being moved from its normal street circuit to somewhere like the phoenix park.

If you're bitching about not having a men's "mini-marathon", then why? Dress up if you want to run the race like many do, otherwise run any of the other races around Dublin this summer (the phoenix park races come to mind). Collect money for the charity of your choice if you like, but stop complaining for gods sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Jaysus if there was a mens only marathon you'd have hoardes of fecking feminists screaming blue murder about equal rights.

Men complain about a women only event and we get told to degrade ourselves and dress like women if we want to join in......

And I never actually realised (due to zero interest which has changed recently) but the mini marathon is only 10k???

It's not since I started running recently that I realised the sheer effort that goes into it not only completing a set distance but improving your times. Calling a 10k race a mini marathon is a bit of a slap in the face to real marathon runners I'd reckon and I haven't even ran a marathon. I've nothing but awe for them and anyone who says you're being petty is probably a couch potato who gets winded trying to open a packet of taytos.

Jaysus if there was a mens only marathon you'd have hoardes of fecking feminists screaming blue murder about equal rights.

Men complain about a women only event and we get told to degrade ourselves and dress like women if we want to join in......

QFT

• Advertisement

A mini-marathon has always been any race under 26.2 miles in length, ...
    It's like calling the 100m event a mini-mile though, the two distances have nothing to do with each other. Call it a 10k and nobody would have a problem with it's name. A marathon is a specific distance, or a chocolate bar, but in this case the word is just being used to make some women feel that they have accomplished something that they have not.
    It's a road-race so I can't see it ever being moved from its normal street circuit to somewhere like the phoenix park.
    The Phoenix Park races are road races as well, and the roads are much more suitable for accommodating a large number of people running or walking around. I've no problem with it being in the city though and wouldn't mind doing a race round the city as well myself, but I don't see why I should have to do it in fancy dress.

Guess I'll just have to wait until the 4.22 * mini-snickers in October instead then as there is no need to wear a silly outfit to enter that apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭DáireM

Does the fact that all these women seem to think they've acheived something great really grind anyone else's gears more than anyone else?

All these women seem to think that walking 10k has miraculously saved the world and act like they're suffragettes at the racetrack or something.

The whole "mini-marathon" thing doesn't really bother me, everyone knows they're all lazy sods anyway, provides more larfs for me than anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

I was involved with the MM a few years back. Drove the car with the big clock on top ahead of the runners.

It was a life changing experience to have 40,000 panting wimmins chasing me down the road. To this day, I still get a funny tingle in my lower left leg when I think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

stevec wrote: »
    I was involved with the MM a few years back. Drove the car with the big clock on top ahead of the runners.

It was a life changing experience to have 40,000 panting wimmins chasing me down the road. To this day, I still get a funny tingle in my lower left leg when I think about it.

lol when i think of all the women that have chased me i get that same tingling feeling, but its in my middle leg

It's like calling the 100m event a mini-mile though, the two distances have nothing to do with each other. Call it a 10k and nobody would have a problem with it's name. A marathon is a specific distance, or a chocolate bar, but in this case the word is just being used to make some women feel that they have accomplished something that they have not.
    Jesus, I do a mini mile every time I go to the shops. :p
    But then if
    A mini-marathon has always been any race under 26.2 miles in length
    then lets all celebrate, we all did a minimarathon this morning when we got up to go to the loo.:D

Seriously though, everyone I know who has ever done a real marathon has said one thing:
    "never again!!!"
    The fact that you have folks doing minimarathons annually, some folks even doing multiple ones each year, just shows IMO that the two are incomparable.

Lets face it the thing is little more than a sponsored walk for most women entering it, in otherwords far less note worthy than they think, schoolkids do sponsored walks FFS. I did the Terry Fox run when only starting in secondary school, and I actually ran it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

It would be hilarious!
    This thread is hilarious. When you lads ban the mini-marathon, you should also ban mini-skirt, cause it's really to short to be a real skirt!

This thread is hilarious. When you lads ban the mini-marathon, you should also ban mini-skirt, cause it's really to short to be a real skirt!

Ok I see the words, I see the structure of a sentence, but yet I can make no sense of it.

Nah, the name will just have to be changed to be more accurate:
    half-length-skirt
    quater-length-skirt
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

A marathon is a specific distance, or a chocolate bar, but in this case the word is just being used to make some women feel that they have accomplished something that they have not.

bingo, we have a winner folks

• Advertisement

farohar wrote: »
    Nah, the name will just have to be changed to be more accurate:
    half-length-skirt
    quater-length-skirt
    :p
    Belt?

They can call that whatever they like though, as long as they don't ban them.

A marathon is a specific distance, but in this case the word is just being used to make some women feel that they have accomplished something that they have not

Why do you even *care*????
    Is the fact that you can do a "real" marathon all you have going for you?Why are you so threatened (and yes that IS how you're coming across) by, say, a 58 year old woman who feels good for walking 10 kilometres to raise money for a hospital that helped her sick grandchild get better?

"People are feeling good about themselves" -quick call the police! :rolleyes:

It's not called the Women's Marathon. It's called the Women's "Mini" Marathon. I don't know why people are claiming that it's misleading people into thinking it's a marathon. If you asked for a mini mars bar, would you complain that you didn't get a full size one?

I've ran the full Dublin Marathon twice, and I don't care. It's a bit of fun for a good cause.

I just realised that I did a 10km sponsered walk when I was in 3rd year in school! I even ran a bit of it.

So can I say that I've done a (mini) marathon?

I just realised that I did a 10km sponsered walk when I was in 3rd year in school! I even ran a bit of it.

So can I say that I've done a (mini) marathon?

If the women's "mini-marathon" counts I don't see why your sponsored walk shouldn't.;)

Is the fact that you can do a "real" marathon all you have going for you? Why are you so threatened (and yes that IS how you're coming across) by, say, a 58 year old woman who feels good for walking 10 kilometres to raise money for a hospital that helped her sick grandchild get better?
    It was a very long time ago that I did my first marathon, and it has yet to be seen if I am actaully capable of doing that distance again due to the effects of the intervening years. No problem at all with any old dears walking around the course and raising money in the process though, although they should maybe try a bit harder to keep out of the way of people that want to run the course, I do have a problem with it being a women only event though.
    Blisterman wrote: »
    If you asked for a mini mars bar, would you complain that you didn't get a full size one?
    Calling the event anything "marathon" is just not logical though apart from anything else as that is a specific distance measurement and there is no similarity between the two distances. A mini Mars bar is still a Mars bar, but just a small one, the event in question has nothing to do with the marathon distance though. It would make as much sense to call it a "big mile race".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Next thet'll be complaining about the "long" mile road!

It should be opened up to men (who aren't in drag) as well though.

Ok lets sum up my opinion on this matter

Q1 is this a big deal to me?
    A1 No I will carry on with my life in exactly the same manner no matter, whether this event is run yearly, weekly or even daily.

Q2 What are my main issues with it?
    A2 Its discriminatory to explicitly deny male participants access in this modern era of Equality for all, no boundaries no difference between the sexes, its wrong, plain and simple and any women who cant see that, are clouded by this idea of equality as rights for women regardless of men and thats not equality. Surely we can all accept that was such a race run across the city of Dublin to explicitly deny women first off it would not get approval from the council secondly every media source would make it headline news were it ok'd by the council.

The use of the term marathon is misleading to all those who say "its not big a deal" or "whats your problem with it" I say right thats fine lets change it so, but its not the core issue and is even less likely to have an impact on my life than the one above is.

Q3 But you can run dressed as a woman?
    A3 Can I honestly say to all you whom replied something similiar to that are you for real? Was that a real opinion?

I mean sure people run the real marathon in fancy dress for their own amusement or for charitable reasons but to suggest I have to dress as a woman to run is obscene and even if I do degrade myself by disguising my sex I'm still not considered a participant I can receive no recognition for completing it because I'm not a valid competitor.

Q4 Did this deserve a thread on boards?
    A4 Yes judging by the amount of posts so far I'm not alone in having an issue with it and surely isn't that what boards is for opinions on issues!

From what I remember of seeing the finish a few years ago anyone who had gone to the bother of dressing up inorder to take part, and also having paid the entry fee and getting a race number, were then not actually allowed to cross the finish line at the end and were forced to the side and through the barriers before the finish by the marshals.

Maybe the organisers should add an extra 500m or so to the race and call it the women's Quarter Marathon. Would you be happy then?

The problem is not with those people who realise the difference between a 10km and a 42.195 km but rather it is with those women who think "I'm brilliant, I ran a marathon" when they in fact walked 10 km. These Freda's are the ones that bother me and belittle the efforts of real marathoners. The banning of men is also wrong imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement