Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBQ Cleaning

• 04-06-2008 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Just a query about cleaning of a barbie!
    I have quite a big bbq with a cast iron grill and seperate plate.
    Checked it yesterday and found that it was after getting quite dirty and rusty. Got out the wire brush and scrubbed most of the dirt and rust off it, but there is still some rust on both grill and plate.
    What can I use to clean this remaining rust off? An oil etc?
    Would just lighting the bbq and burning it off do? Is it ok to eat off it then?
    Is there any product to put on them to keep them from rusting etc during the winter months?
    Any help would be great!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It won't help to burn it off. Cover grill up properly when not in use, this alone will keep it quite clean. You can use a tarp or similar.

To remove rust try using Naval Jelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

To store it, I would try seasoning the grill and plate with oil after cleaning it with a wire brush - like you would with a wok. Give it a good scrub in soapy water with a brillo pad to get the rust and dirt off, then rinse and dry it over the flames on the bbq. When dry, rub with an old tea towel and some cooking oil until the black stops coming off on the cloth.

Between uses, wash, rub with some clean cooking oil and cover it to keep the moisture off.

Advertisement