Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Couchsurfing.net

• 04-06-2008 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭

hey guys,

i met a girl recently that has alot of travels under her belt. told her i was heading off to canada for a year in december. said i'd love to head to other places but mony situation wouldn't allow me. she told me that she was part of a worldwide organisation called couchsurfing. basically you put up a profile and offer people who travel to your area a couch to stay on for a few days to help them get on their feet once they arrive - if you can't offer a couch, you can offer to meet them for a drink and show them around!!

it sounds like a great idea to me and so, i've uploaded a profile and bagged a few couches in canada for when i get there - you can also email people and find out about the country before you go!! anyhow, just wondering has anyone used this before and any experiences they might have!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I've used it as in showing people around Dublin. But i only ever accepted Spanish speakers as my motives were a bit selfish. I needed to brush up on my Spanish before my trip. I'll use it when i'm traveling later this year. Not to stay in their house but more so just to touch bases with a local. Sometimes it can be hard to mix with locals in the more touristy places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i work with a guy here in maine who used it to backback around america he said he met a lot of cool people and its really good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭crushproof

I was travelling to eastern europe a while back and set up a profile a few weeks before I left. Sent a couple of messages to some people and they all met me for a drink and whatnot. Didnt take a couch because I thought it just might be a bit odd going to someones house and taking there couch for the night.
    But for meeting for a drink and going out its great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

I've heard nothing but good things about it. Keep meaning to register because I love to travel and it's more often than not on a budget. My brother did it for years and has made some lifelong friends out of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭smellybiker

yeah well after my visa expires in canada, i'd love to see other places but doubt i'll have alot of money to do it so it's definitely an opportunity to do it on a budget and meet loadsa new people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

My cousin and his housemates had 3 guys over from the US last year from that site. They were the oundest lads and the biggest craic. I also keep meaning to sign up but had forgotten about it til I read this post.

Go for it, I've heard great things about it and the fact you have people to hang around with in all new different places is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hey, I just want to bump this to get more experiences, it sounds like such a great resource :) May end up using it when I hit Oz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Tried to sign up but says you need someone to invite you, a "snowball" effect. Any member here care to invite me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Hmmm, don't know. That must be a new rule. PM me your email and I'll see if I can invite you.

Advertisement