Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for having an opinion

Options
  • 04-06-2008 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Travellers, and their activities, are a very hot topic in Waterford City at the moment (and have been for the past few years). To that end, several threads have been closed/locked in the Waterford City forum. Many of these have been for good reason, as suggestions made within were borderline, to say the least.

However, it appears that a conecreted effort is being made by a moderator on the forum to stifle ANY debate about traveller activities. For example, I have been bannded for my last statement in this thread. As other contributors on the thread have pointed out, banning someone for their opinion, or because you do not agree with them, is not the answer.

Others, who have used language, etc. have not been banned.

It will also not make the issue go away. It is sad that what appeared to be a reasonable discussion is being railroaded by the moderator concerned.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

This should be good.

How many warnings do you need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Jesus i hate saying this but have you pm'd the mod?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

The Charter:
    If you feel the need to go insulting the travelling community in Waterford, certain areas of Waterford, or certain people in Waterford (Add your own minorities to this list), whether it be using derogatory terms, insults, slurs, or the like, please expect a swift banning from the forum. We will notify you when your ban is to be up

You broke the rules of that forum, plain and simple.
    Ban deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

You weren't banned for having an opinion, you were banned for not reading the charter.
    It's a subtle and important difference.
    If you won't follow the rules, don't get cranky when you're not allowed to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Freddie this is a privately owned site so you do not have the right to spout your opinion on anything you feel like. You could of course start your own forum and do what you like there. Its free and easy enough to set up.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

"Banned for having an opinion"

If you're going to have a moan about being banned, then for the love of FSM, don't do it on false pretenses.

I've been reading up on these various Traveler threads and Sully is right to curb these discussions. If people can't discuss this issue in a civil manner, then such discussion should rightly be curtailed. Not to mention the personal grief he has received.

This thread doesn't even deserve catpix & I really don't think the OP deserves any sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Maximilian wrote: »
    "This thread doesn't even deserve catpix.

Whoa... Lets not go crazy here!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Whoa... Lets not go crazy here!

There are alternatives. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Maximilian wrote: »
    There are alternatives. ;)
    Why didn't Chris Doran win the Eurovision?
    He was a bad traveller.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Freddie59 wrote: »
    However, it appears that a conecreted effort is being made by a moderator on the forum to stifle ANY debate about traveller activities.
    There's no such thing as a 'debate' on traveler activities - and everyone knows it.

The one thing I would offer, however, is that the thread should maybe have been closed before the banning stick was even unsheathed. It was on the road to nowhere from post #1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Sherifu wrote: »
    Why didn't Chris Doran win the Eurovision?
    He was a bad traveller.

Ha:D

"Banned for having an opinion"....I love it!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Freddie, do you honestly think the Waterford forum is your own personal sandpit, that you can piss in with impunity?

It isn't, and if anything, the mod has been far too lenient with your whinging.

Suck it up, and be thankful it's not a longer ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

[IMG][/img]gypsycatsoz5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Freddie, do you honestly think the Waterford forum is your own personal sandpit, that you can piss in with impunity?

It isn't, and if anything, the mod has been far too lenient with your whinging.

Suck it up, and be thankful it's not a longer ban.

Duly sucked up. And thanks for all your opinions. But it is worth pointing out that I am not alone in raising issues with Sully's moderation. Indeed, two people took him to task over it in that thread. I have since received a PM from him lecturing about how tired he is of it and won't put up with it any longer.

And Dades, can you explain what you mean by There's no such thing as a 'debate' on traveler activities?

Does this means that there is some kind of protection afforded to travellers (and their activities) by boards.ie? If so, why is only one section of the community afforded this privilege?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its simple. Iv asked countless times to quit with traveller bashing or leaving flamebait, people continued. Myself and Fajitas! discussed it (with other mods, and there is a thread already in Feedback on it) and decided to get stricter. One user was banned already in that thread and another user was close to it but withdrew the comment very quickly once he realsied his mistake.

You have been trouble in the last few months, and have 4 infractions on your portfolio. You broke the charter again and so you have been banned for it but this time for a period of a month. Take a break and come back when your willing to discuss within Boards Rules and the Forum Charter.

For those who think its PC madness - fair enough. But Boards.ie nor the mods on the Waterford Forum want any bashing of ANY particular group REGARDLESS. In recent weeks, not years, travellers has become an issue in the Waterford Forum as nobody can discuss it civily without making stupid remarks such as killing them all with flamethrowers.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Duly sucked up. And thanks for all your opinions. But it is worth pointing out that I am not alone in raising issues with Sully's moderation. Indeed, two people took him to task over it in that thread. I have since received a PM from him lecturing about how tired he is of it and won't put up with it any longer.

And Dades, can you explain what you mean by There's no such thing as a 'debate' on traveler activities?

Does this means that there is some kind of protection afforded to travellers (and their activities) by boards.ie? If so, why is only one section of the community afforded this privilege?

I would guess it's something along the lines of what happened in the soccer forum- if something degrades into a uncontrollable mess, the mods/ admins have to do something to stop it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you look around boards you will notice that controls of one kind or another are in place in every forum. They are not specifically in place to protect one particular segment of the population, they are in place to prevent threads descending into flame wars and to protect boards from any legal action from offended parties.

Duly sucked up. And thanks for all your opinions. But it is worth pointing out that I am not alone in raising issues with Sully's moderation. Indeed, two people took him to task over it in that thread.

And they should be banned for questioning a mod decission in thread.

Sully wrote: »
    Boards.ie nor the mods on the Waterford Forum want any bashing of ANY particular group REGARDLESS.

QFT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I read the thread, and don't see any "derogatory terms, insults, slurs, or the like"

Has it/they been deleted?

I have also read the charter for that forum, and with all due respect, I cannot see where it is violated.

I am not a mod of that or any other forum, but this smacks of protectionism, censorship and fear. The OP may, of course, have an antagonistic history, but it doesn't show in the thread concerned if at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iv deleted those posts for being off-topic - they can discuss it here if they wish, but I wont have any further topics derailed in the forum. Its gone to a stage where we have been left with no choice but to get strict.

Oryx wrote: »
    If you look around boards you will notice that controls of one kind or another are in place in every forum. They are not specifically in place to protect one particular segment of the population, they are in place to prevent threads descending into flame wars and to protect boards from any legal action from offended parties.

In that case the correct procedure is to close the thread, no?

Iv deleted those posts for being off-topic - they can discuss it here if they wish, but I wont have any further topics derailed in the forum. Its gone to a stage where we have been left with no choice but to get strict.

If they're deleted that's fair enough. Hard for the OP to show his position though.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I read the thread, and don't see any "derogatory terms, insults, slurs, or the like"

Has it/they been deleted?

Yes, other posters have had those comments removed. Freddie has always been borderline but constantly bashes the group in a "friendly way" but bashing of ANY kind wont be tollerated. It went way out of hand and it was decided to add to the charter and start enforcing it.
    I have also read the charter for that forum, and with all due respect, I cannot see where it is violated.

I am not a mod of that or any other forum, but this smacks of protectionism, censorship and fear. The OP may, of course, have an antagonistic history, but it doesn't show in the thread concerned if at all.

Its already been quoted what part of the charter was broken. He was making retarted remarks about the group and its just one of many issues that have decided its time he took a break.

Nothing like censorship or fear - its called having respect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Although i dont necessarily agree with a total ban on discussion of a hot topic such as the travelling community, on boards it never ends up being a mature sensible debate so I can understand the need.

Hats off to Sully though for his moderation. I much prefer to see offending comments deleted rather than just banning and leaving said offensive comments there. Its like rubbing salt in a wound in some cases.

Id prefer we didnt have a total ban but it came to a stage where no thread even slightly concerning travellers someone had to make a comment about it all. Warnings were issued plenty of times and people just kept pushing it. I hate having to issue bans or close threads or watever - we should be all able to get on fine, stick to the rules and carry on having a great discussion like every forum should be like. Ya your gonna get a few bad eggs or watever but I hate having to come to a decission where its gone so bad we have to start enforcing the guidelines.

But, its life. Its a private forum, we cant all say what we want and its unfair to make comments about a particular group like has been paid in past threads. If we could just agree to this and move on, there are plenty of things we can talk about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Yes, other posters have had those comments removed. Freddie has always been borderline but constantly bashes the group in a "friendly way" but bashing of ANY kind wont be tollerated. It went way out of hand and it was decided to add to the charter and start enforcing it.

Its already been quoted what part of the charter was broken. He was making retarted remarks about the group and its just one of many issues that have decided its time he took a break.

Nothing like censorship or fear - its called having respect.

Sully - respect is a two-way street. Your response towards a poster who dares to question your moderation is proof enough for me. And also - if you're addressing me in a pm please try to be civil - as I do with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

But it is worth pointing out that I am not alone in raising issues with Sully's moderation. Indeed, two people took him to task over it in that thread.
    Posters have no business taking mods to task on thread. Who gave you or they the right to do that? The correct procedure is via PM or Feedback. Warning should be issued for that type of behaviour. If posters fail to take heed of the warning a week's holiday would bring home the message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Id prefer we didnt have a total ban but it came to a stage where no thread even slightly concerning travellers someone had to make a comment about it all. Warnings were issued plenty of times and people just kept pushing it. I hate having to issue bans or close threads or watever - we should be all able to get on fine, stick to the rules and carry on having a great discussion like every forum should be like. Ya your gonna get a few bad eggs or watever but I hate having to come to a decission where its gone so bad we have to start enforcing the guidelines.

But, its life. Its a private forum, we cant all say what we want and its unfair to make comments about a particular group like has been paid in past threads. If we could just agree to this and move on, there are plenty of things we can talk about.

This has to be one of the most sensible things I've ever read from a mod in a feedback thread. Well done man ... excellent moderating in a difficult situation.

I have one question though ... if the charter changes because of something like this, are regular posters given notice of the changes? Seems sorta unfair to ban someone because of a very new amendment to the charter. I definitely dont read the charter everytime I post in a particular forum. Or should I?????

• Advertisement

I didnt add that to the charter, it was the other forum mod so ill leave him pass comment on that question. I support the addition to the charter and we have discussed in depth on how we should handle the comments rasied in Feedback and troublesome users and topics. Its going to cause trouble, we cant please everyone but at the same time - we cant allow such comments like that be passed around. Its not fair and its not on. If you cant debate sensibly, dont debate at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement