Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for having an opinion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Sully wrote: »
    Iv deleted those posts for being off-topic - they can discuss it here if they wish, but I wont have any further topics derailed in the forum. Its gone to a stage where we have been left with no choice but to get strict.

A suggestion, and not just for you, when posts are deleted perhaps a marker could be left where they had been so as to complete the picture. Or replace the text in the post with "offensive content removed" or similar.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

nipplenuts wrote: »
    A suggestion, and not just for you, when posts are deleted perhaps a marker could be left where they had been so as to complete the picture. Or replace the text in the post with "offensive content removed" or similar.

Mods of the forum, Cmods and Smods can see the deleted posts, but we try and prevent editing of posts. Either leave or delete usually.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Mods of the forum, Cmods and Smods can see the deleted posts, but we try and prevent editing of posts. Either leave or delete usually.. :)

Sully, can you explain - specifically - why I was banned?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

If you feel the need to go insulting the travelling community in Waterford, certain areas of Waterford, or certain people in Waterford (Add your own minorities to this list), whether it be using derogatory terms, insults, slurs, or the like, please expect a swift banning from the forum. We will notify you when your ban is to be up

If I'm understanding this correctly. Nobody can any longer discuss Mr. McCann or the Ferrybank situation. If this is so I think you'll find the forum is about tho become very very quite.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Sully, can you explain - specifically - why I was banned?:confused:

2.jpg

On a serious note, if you had 4 infractions and you broke the rules again a ban is deserved imho

• Advertisement

trishw78 wrote: »
    If I'm understanding this correctly. Nobody can any longer discuss Mr. McCann or the Ferrybank situation.

Sadly it appears so Trish.

KaG1888 wrote: »
    2.jpg

On a serious note, if you had 4 infractions and you broke the rules again a ban is deserved imho

How droll. I asked for specifics on this ban and haven't been provided with them - as a matter of plain courtesy. Of course, people have pointed out that I probably shouldn't have been banned in the first instance - thus the reason for the lack of explanation?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

You didnt go complaining about your other 4 infractions and now you are surprised with a ban? With 4 infractions I would have perma banned you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sorry was away all day on business.

To address some points:
    - If someone questions how I moderate in any of the forums I moderate, I ask that they take it to Feedback or PM. Its standard policy for mods, and I agree with it. Iv deleted the posts as they are off-topic and at the same time publicly stated the topic was cleaned and why. So there isnt any secrerts.

- Your specific reason for the ban was issued in the PM that is sent automatically during the infraction process. I have also stated in this thread why you were banned and why it was lengthy.

- Brendan McCann and Ferrybank discussions are completely unrelated to this conversation at all. Neither of which have connections or are travellers. Discussion about Brendand McCann has always remained civil and rarley is a problem compared to discussion about travellers. Ferrybank is very very rarley discussed and yes anti-KK ****e has always been banned as per requests from the site admins. Well before my time as mod.

I have remained civil Freddy apart from informing you to cop the **** on or you wont be coming back and that I am tired of your ****e. 4 infractions, public warnings ignored = month ban. Due to the way you spoke with me during occasions when I gave you those 4 infractions you were far from civil and hence why I placed you on ignore. Your lucky you were not banned long ago, but I put up with it because often you are a good poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

How droll. I asked for specifics on this ban and haven't been provided with them - as a matter of plain courtesy. Of course, people have pointed out that I probably shouldn't have been banned in the first instance - thus the reason for the lack of explanation?

inspire-humiliation.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

I am very disappointed with the handling of this thread....

To date i only see 4 pics!!
    Only one of which contains cats!

inspire-humiliation.jpg

Very original. Take you long to think that one up?:D

Sorry was away all day on business.

To address some points:
    - If someone questions how I moderate in any of the forums I moderate, I ask that they take it to Feedback or PM. Its standard policy for mods, and I agree with it. Iv deleted the posts as they are off-topic and at the same time publicly stated the topic was cleaned and why. So there isnt any secrerts.

- Your specific reason for the ban was issued in the PM that is sent automatically during the infraction process. I have also stated in this thread why you were banned and why it was lengthy.

- Brendan McCann and Ferrybank discussions are completely unrelated to this conversation at all. Neither of which have connections or are travellers. Discussion about Brendand McCann has always remained civil and rarley is a problem compared to discussion about travellers. Ferrybank is very very rarley discussed and yes anti-KK ****e has always been banned as per requests from the site admins. Well before my time as mod.

I have remained civil Freddy apart from informing you to cop the **** on or you wont be coming back and that I am tired of your ****e. 4 infractions, public warnings ignored = month ban. Due to the way you spoke with me during occasions when I gave you those 4 infractions you were far from civil and hence why I placed you on ignore. Your lucky you were not banned long ago, but I put up with it because often you are a good poster.

Ah, nice to see your true colours showing Sully - for once. The animosity felt by you towards me on public display.;) Imagine the ban I would have imposed for spewing out the above.

This is your reason for banning me:

You have been banned from the forum for one month for breaking the forum charter, again. Iv stated several times about traveller discussion and bashing, and since this is your second offense I think its time you took a long break.

Where did I break the charter? Several people were discussing travellers, but you only banned one. The OP on the thread wasn't me BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Jesus titty f*cking christ, what are you smoking?

humanji wrote: »
    Jesus titty f*cking christ, what are you smoking?

Probably the same as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Dig up Freddie, dig up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

well fred
    wannadigup128570809486858286.jpg

In that thread in question one person spoke about travellers and was banned. Nobody else did. And when I mean "discussed" i mean in the unfriendly attitude (whether it be just a tad bit over the line, or completely over the line). Anyway, there hasnt been any further discussion about travellers and the topic was locked earlier today.

The exact charter rule you broke has already been quoted by an SMod in this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

there hasnt been any further discussion about travellers.

Is that a good thing though?

Should a whole section of society be set apart from any criticism or discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

In that thread in question one person spoke about travellers and was banned. Nobody else did. And when I mean "discussed" i mean in the unfriendly attitude (whether it be just a tad bit over the line, or completely over the line). Anyway, there hasnt been any further discussion about travellers and the topic was locked earlier today.

The exact charter rule you broke has already been quoted by an SMod in this topic.
    Not all travellers are bad. At least when we're talking about young people, most sensible decent posters recognise that the majority of youth are respectible people, but when it comes to the travellers, they are generally all tarnished with the same brush, therefore making the argument unreasonable and turning it into a hatefest.

I must say that I support Sully's decision regarding the above and until people start discussing the subject using statistics and facts rather than stereotypes, I believe the 'issue' should be curtailed slightly.

I am on neither side on this discusion, but I am someone who is familiar with these debates, and moreso verbal debates. I did one before with a group of other people on the more or less same issue. It started brutally with everyone quoting experiences and creating BS to sound good, but eventually turned into a brilliant debate with excellent outcomes. Until this happens on Boards, discussions will not be productive in the least.

• Advertisement

Is that a good thing though?

Should a whole section of society be set apart from any criticism or discussion?

In normal circusmstances, discussion shouldnt be "set apart" but criticism that was given was unreasnoable and comments made could actually land Boards.ie or even the poster in serious legal trouble. You cant say what you want in life and hence why we have to keep an eye on such comments.

The poster above me has summed it up pretty well. Id prefer not to ban any form of discussion, but we cant do anything about that at this present time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

In normal circusmstances, discussion shouldnt be "set apart" but criticism that was given was unreasnoable and comments made could actually land Boards.ie or even the poster in serious legal trouble. You cant say what you want in life and hence why we have to keep an eye on such comments.
    I don't think that Sully has any problem with travellers being discussed, just that there is a lot of stigma attached to travellers, and there'e a lot of the "blame the youth" and "blame the tinkers" culture out there.

The fact of the matter is that there is no facts being supplied with these discussions. It is unethical of any poster to discuss travellers without an informed knowledge of what is the real situation. If this was just opinion, it would be fine - but it's not opinion.

http://www.paveepoint.ie/pav_factsh_a.html
    A quick search on Google. If anyone cares enough about what they're talking about, they should read it. By lining up facts with your stories, it means intelligent debates can happen.
    The poster above me has summed it up pretty well. Id prefer not to ban any form of discussion, but we cant do anything about that at this present time.
    I don't think any moderator really wants to have a "ban everyone and everything" attitude, but there are certain cases where decisions have to be made in the best interests of the website, the people, and the forum in general.

~Nev

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

nevf wrote: »
    http://www.paveepoint.ie/pav_factsh_a.html
    A quick search on Google. If anyone cares enough about what they're talking about, they should read it. By lining up facts with your stories, it means intelligent debates can happen.

~Nev

Tbh I'd have a problem believeing everything paveepoint say, they're a pressure group for travellers and their info is going to be biased (which I suppose is natural but dosen't necessarily make it objective) . Life for a lot of travellers isn't easy and they detail that part quite well but I don't see any factsheets on crime or violence to balance it out.

Paveepoint do seem to be quite good at pushing the rascism agenda and this just leads to a further problem with discussion in that when someone says something even mildly critical of travellers they get shouted down. Thats just as bad as the idiots who spout the ethnic cleansing **** because then no dialogue happens, the people in the middle just don't want to get involved in the discussion then for fear of getting hit by both sides.

And finally if the people can't question the involvement of segments of the traveller population in crime and trespass what good does that do? Does that mean that it dosen't happen, that people should just ignore it?

Alan Ford wrote: »
    well fred
    wannadigup128570809486858286.jpg

You're in the wrong job butty. You should be on the stage. Another cut & paste merchant unable to compose a few words. Pick me off the floor will ya!:rolleyes::D

And finally if the people can't question the involvement of segments of the traveller population in crime and trespass what good does that do? Does that mean that it dosen't happen, that people should just ignore it?

That's what seems to be the agenda on here Rafa. I would consider myself an occupier of the middle ground. Not for the 'ethnic cleansing' comments, but definitely pro discussing the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Seriously, if you have such a problem with the way you've been treated then go somewhere else.

What was it then Sully? Are ya after his job or just his cape?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Seriously, if you have such a problem with the way you've been treated then go somewhere else.

Problem with discussing things?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Problem with discussing things?

It has been discussed. You've been given answers by a number of people yet can't accept it. There comes a time where you either shut up and take it on the chin or move on altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Very original. Take you long to think that one up?:D
    Not at all. I wouldn't waste my time for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement