Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meelan back in Big Cup shocker -possible

• 04-06-2008 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=722703

Milan are on the verge of being handed a place in next season’s Champions League as a replacement for Bulgarian side CSKA Sofia.

The Rossoneri missed out on a place in Europe’s premier club competition after they only finished fifth in Serie A, following a hugely disappointing campaign.

Carlo Ancelotti’s men, who have been the dominant side in the competition over the past six years, winning two editions, and reaching a final, semi-final and quarter-final, were gearing themselves to play in the UEFA Cup in 2008/09.

However the Diavoli could now be on the verge of being granted a sensational back-door entry back into the Champions League. Bulgarian champions CSKA Sofia could be expelled from the competition due to financial problems, and indeed the Bulgarian FA has demanded that they be thrown out immediately.

Therefore a replacement would need to be found, and this would be Milan, as they are highest UEFA ranked team not already in the competition.

The Rossoneri would enter at the second preliminary round, and it would mean that Italy would have five teams in the Champions League, the others being Inter, Roma, Juventus and Fiorentina.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Its such a beautiful system how it works out to favour a big club isnt it?
    Why would it not go to the next highest rank Bulgarian team? Or are the rules set up to favour big clubs/strong Football Associations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

This looks like some Milan fans clutching at the straws and hoping for the best, there's no way they'll be getting in this way.

Even when we decided not to take up our Champions League rights it was passed on to Derry, who came second.

SantryRed wrote: »
    This looks like some Milan fans clutching at the straws and hoping for the best, there's no way they'll be getting in this way.

Even when we decided not to take up our Champions League rights it was passed on to Derry, who came second.

Yeah but Milan have Silvio Berlusconi as president and a hell of alot of financial backing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Why doesnt it go to a Bulgarian club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Money is why. AC draw a greater TV audience I would assume.

Utter nonsense if this comes to pass.

• Advertisement

Disgrace if it happens. The next ranked Bulgarian side should get it. Milan are in the UEFA Cup for a reason.....the failed. You cannot reward failure just cos its a "big club". If anything Everton should get it since an English team won the competition this year if theyre gonna go down that route then the winning association should ghet an extra spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Is there not a precedent for this already when Shelbourne dropped out and were replaced by Derry City?

Oh and wtf is with "Meelan"?

Is there not a precedent for this already when Shelbourne dropped out and were replaced by Derry City?

I understand its a bit daft writing it like that, but here is an explination directly from their wiki page which might help explain

"In honour of its origins, the club has retained the English spelling of its city's name, instead of changing it to the Italian Milano (though it was forced to do it during the fascist regime, like Genoa and Inter); it should be noted that the Italian pronunciation is actually MEE-lan, even though the English one is the same as in the local dialect and many other dialects of Northern Italy."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

It's blindingly obvious that City should get the spot, what with their Fair Play record and the like :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

gucci wrote: »
    I understand its a bit daft writing it like that, but here is an explination directly from their wiki page which might help explain

"In honour of its origins, the club has retained the English spelling of its city's name, instead of changing it to the Italian Milano (though it was forced to do it during the fascist regime, like Genoa and Inter); it should be noted that the Italian pronunciation is actually MEE-lan, even though the English one is the same as in the local dialect and many other dialects of Northern Italy."
    Yeah but its never spelt like that anywhere else, and as for "Big Cup"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Disgrace if it happens. The next ranked Bulgarian side should get it. Milan are in the UEFA Cup for a reason.....the failed. You cannot reward failure just cos its a "big club". If anything Everton should get it since an English team won the competition this year if theyre gonna go down that route then the winning association should ghet an extra spot.

I know you are only offering up suggestions here...but come on!

It would be disgraceful if UEFA favoured the "Big Clubs" in this way...yet by this suggestion it just helps out one of the "Big leagues" instead?!:confused:

The next placed bulgarian team should get the position, unfortunately if they aint gonna do it that way, then the highest ranking team is the only other logical way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Juan Pablo wrote: »
    It's blindingly obvious that City should get the spot, what with their Fair Play record and the like :pac:

Exactly. Let Lovely Leslie and the boys in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's stupid.

End of.

Anyway, I hope Milan get in. They'd be much more entertaining to watch than some minnows from Bulgaria, who nobody ever heard of, or cares about.

DesF wrote: »
    It's stupid.

End of.

Anyway, I hope Milan get in. They'd be much more entertaining to watch than some minnows from Bulgaria, who nobody ever heard of, or cares about.

You raise an interesting point.

Have a look at the thread about Austria pulling out of the Euro's, and you get a feeling that a few people would rather England were there instead of the hosts, because of entertainment value.

But yet here...entertainment value doesnt come into it?

Eirebear wrote: »
    Cheers.
    Have a look at the thread about Austria pulling out of the Euro's, and you get a feeling that a few people would rather England were there instead of the hosts, because of entertainment value.
    I'd much rather England were in it.

Look, UEFA and FIFA give these countries the WC and Euros to promote football in these places.

What kind of promotion of football involves the host nation getting twatted three or four nil in three games, and being the laughing stock? None that I can see, no benefits whatsoever. The Austrians will just think to themselves "not watching this any more, I'd much rather watch the World Yodeling Championship, at least we might win that one, even if the damn Swiss have won the last sixteen years running"

It is for me. I watch the CL on telly, religiously, it's my favourite football competition, of them all.

I don't want to be served some dross from Bulgaria, I'd much rather watch Kaka play than Whoisitovich stomping around trying to kick seven shades of shíte out of whoever tries to do some skill.

It's stupid.

End of.

Totally agreed......i didnt actually name the thread originally, i was just offering a suggestion for the question posed.

If i was naming the thread i would have called it The Revenge of the Armpit Lickers......that would have been way cooler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

These people are idiots. I know you're Scottish Eirebear, but I'm guessing most of the people in this forum are Irish...obviously. Why would they not want Ireland in for ''entertainment value''....saying they want England in is as retarted as suggesting Ireland should be in it.

And plus England for ''entertainment value''...their group matches are ****ing ****..its only good when they give the ball away over and over again in the knockout round, and you just know the opposition(Portugal) are going to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I don't want to be served some dross from Bulgaria, I'd much rather watch Kaka play than Whoisitovich stomping around trying to kick seven shades of shíte out of whoever tries to do some skill.

Would you be saying the same thing if the LoI winners were to be kicked out of the Champions League?

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Would you be saying the same thing if the LoI winners were to be kicked out of the Champions League?

Pat's, Bohs or Derry?

Hell yes.

It is for me. I watch the CL on telly, religiously, it's my favourite football competition, of them all.

Might as well just make it a tounament for the four or five top leagues in Europe then:rolleyes:

Come on, Austria got the right to play in the Euros because they're hosting it.

In this case, the second place Bulgarian team should get the place. Anyways, don't think story holds much to be honest.

Surely if there's financial irregularities going go at CSKA, the Bulgarian FA could just takethe place off them?

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    Might as well just make it a tounament for the four or five top leagues in Europe then:rolleyes:

Why the rolleyes?

Isn't that what the CL is anyway?

Anyone who can't see that the CL is geared towards the "Big Leagues" is delusional. We may as well just accept it as it is, and get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

They should let Leeds in on the basis that were f*cking amazing

Why the rolleyes?

Isn't that what the CL is anyway?

Anyone who can't see that the CL is geared towards the "Big Leagues" is delusional. We may as well just accept it as it is, and get on with it.

Yeah, no doubt it's geared towards the big clubs. But it's a European Cup so all of Europe should get to compete. Sure you do get the odd surprise such as Porto in 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Its such a beautiful system how it works out to favour a big club isnt it?
    Why would it not go to the next highest rank Bulgarian team? Or are the rules set up to favour big clubs/strong Football Associations?

I hope it doesn't happen, but there's precedence. They bent the rules to allow Liverpool in a few years ago. It's only a matter of time before they just pick the teams based on their wealth, instead of having them compete for the places (based on their wealth also, tbh)

These people are idiots. I know you're Scottish Eirebear, but I'm guessing most of the people in this forum are Irish...obviously. Why would they not want Ireland in for ''entertainment value''....saying they want England in is as retarted as suggesting Ireland should be in it.

And plus England for ''entertainment value''...their group matches are ****ing ****..its only good when they give the ball away over and over again in the knockout round, and you just know the opposition(Portugal) are going to win.

I'm not saying that they are right dude, i was simply pointing out the differences in both arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

I dont know about you but this Meelan thing is weird to me and i dont see point of writing it all the time,maybe i should write United in serbian-Junajted?
    And about Milan,its so funny,i have no other commnet,when all clubs were punished few years ago and banned out of european competitions on same way only Milan got right to play CL and eliminated us in 3rd round of qualifiacations,well we showed on that game with coreography what we were thinking about that.And look at it now,what a surprise,again Milan comes out of nothing to play CL,it seems they just cant be banned out of it,even if they play 2nd league they would somehow find way to reach CL,and why would Italy get that place anyway,why Milan?Why dont they give that place to England,Spain,Germany?I am sick of that italian mafia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Yeah it'll be totally wrong if Milan are allowed into it now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I don't see people moaning about City being called Citeh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

+1

it is a disgrace if AC get in this way really, the next bulgarian side should get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Call_me_al wrote: »
    +1

it is a disgrace if AC get in this way really, the next bulgarian side should get it.
    Calling them "AC" is just as silly really , They are Milan , don't know why they are always referred to as A.C Milan over here , and Inter are reffered to as Inter Milan , :confused:
    It'd be like referring to Arsenal as Arsenal F.C and Arsenal London

gustavo wrote: »
    Calling them "AC" is just as silly really , They are Milan , don't know why they are always referred to as A.C Milan over here , and Inter are reffered to as Inter Milan , :confused:
    It'd be like referring to Arsenal as Arsenal F.C and Arsenal London

Its hardly worth getting annoyed about is it? If there was a thread started on Manchester United, I think most people would understand who people would be talking about if they referred to "united".

Its hardly worth getting annoyed about is it? If there was a thread started on Manchester United, I think most people would understand who people would be talking about if they referred to "united".

But that's almost exactly opposite what he said. But you're right, it's not worth getting annoyed over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭norm

Port have just been kicked out of Champions League. On SSN. Going to get messy now.

I know you are only offering up suggestions here...but come on!

It would be disgraceful if UEFA favoured the "Big Clubs" in this way...yet by this suggestion it just helps out one of the "Big leagues" instead?!:confused:

The next placed bulgarian team should get the position, unfortunately if they aint gonna do it that way, then the highest ranking team is the only other logical way to go.

If u re-read my post I said "IF" UEFA want to go down that route (I dont think they should) then surely they should reward the association who hold the defending Champions (and 3/4 of the semi finalists the last 2 years...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Porto thrown out of Champions League

18 minutes ago

Porto were on Wednesday excluded from next season's Champions League following a bribery scandal.

The Portuguese giants stormed to the SuperLiga title in the recently-completed season, but their achievement was overshadowed by a six-point deduction they received for attempting to bribe referees during the 2003/04 campaign.

And a statement on the club's official website confirmed they would not play in Europe's elite club competition next season as a result of events four years ago. "FC Porto was today notified by the UEFA Disciplinary Committee of the decision to not admit FC Porto to the 2008/09 edition of the UEFA Champions League," read the statement.

"FC Porto will appeal against this decision to the UEFA Appeals Body."

UEFA later confirmed the news and revealed Porto's exclusion was due to them not meeting certain admission criteria, most notably the one which states an eligible club must "not be or have been involved in any activity aimed at arranging or influencing the outcome of a match at national or international level".

Who gets thier place, City?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Right so, Should I refer to Newcastle from now on as N'yacasill?

The likes of James Richardson and Gabriel Marcotti are the ones to blame for this.

Right so, Should I refer to Newcastle from now on as N'yacasill?

The likes of James Richardson and Gabriel Marcotti are the ones to blame for this.

I couldn't give a toss really.
    James Richardson and Marcotti still spell Milan correctly id imagine.

Dammit this with Porto is very bad,so whats going on with their place in CL now,another portugal club?
    And for doing same Milan was awarded to play CL while Juve was banned to 2nd league,Uefa mafiosi....
    EDIT:Just saw,Benfica will get their place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Wonder if Mourinho is in any way to blame for that, or if he knew about it even. Was his last season there. Did it mention if it was bribary attempted in the domestic league or the CL? Seems pointless in the league as they were simply miles better then everyone else in portugal then anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Wonder if Mourinho is in any way to blame for that, or if he knew about it even. Was his last season there. Did it mention if it was bribary attempted in the domestic league or the CL? Seems pointless in the league as they were simply miles better then everyone else in portugal then anyway..

It was for 2 games in the league
    they won one 2-0 and drew the other 0-0

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »

It's only "allegations". Uefa have jumped the gun here. Porto will correctly appeal.

I suspect as Uefa have juristiction it was in Europe, otherwise the League would be dealing with it.

Well they just dont have power to do things like Milan did and obviously will again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Yeah but its never spelt like that anywhere else, and as for "Big Cup"

"Big Cup" - He obviously reads the class daily mail that is The Fiver (from the guardian)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

KevIRL wrote: »
    "Big Cup" - He obviously reads the class daily mail that is The Fiver (from the guardian)

And rightfully so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

No luck its been given to Levski Sofia

No luck its been given to Levski Sofia

And rightly so.

Fair enough

Advertisement