Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

save the family swan right or wrong?????

Options
  • 04-06-2008 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

over the weekend i came upon a situation where a lady was rowing in circles near to the waters edge. I enquirered if she needed any assistance where on she informed me she was part of a three person team on an around the clock vigil protecting a female swan and her signets. The story is that the male has been attacked and killed by other swans :eek:and now they are gunning for the rest of the family:(

Now i thought her efforts were very commendable, at the time, but now i don't know am i wrong to think that survival of the fitest shud prevail and we as humans shud let it be and natural selection take its course. The area in question is at the moment over populated with swans and of course they all need to eat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

should should

I agree, let nature do what it does. It is sad to see animals killing other animals but that's the way it's been for countless millennia. If they want to save the swan or signets, perhaps they could try to relocate it/them, after speaking to the GSPCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I know where you're talking about, can see it from my office. That woman is nuts. Can't believe she's roped 2 others into this silliness. If there are too many swans they won't survive, if not they will. Inevitably not all of them will survive anyway. Intervening to protect them round-the-clock is just nuts...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

axiom32 wrote: »
    The story is that the male has been attacked and killed by other swans :eek:and now they are gunning for the rest of the family:(
    Conclusive proof that swans are unmitigated bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I think I know who you're talking about. That woman needs to find another hobby, let nature take its course. That same woman seems to think that the slipway at Claddagh quay should be for the exclusive use of swans (to sh1t on) and not for boat's to launch

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I think I know who you're talking about. That woman needs to find another hobby, let nature take its course. That same woman seems to think that the slipway at Claddagh quay should be for the exclusive use of swans (to sh1t on) and not for boat's to launch

Yep, that's her! Local nutcase... heart's in the right place but she hasn't a clue

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Yep, that's her! Local nutcase... heart's in the right place but she hasn't a clue

She tried to challenge me one day when I was launching my boat, as if she was some sort of authority figure.

I tried nicely explaning to her that the slipway is for launching boats, she was having none of it. Then I explained to her that I was assisting local rescue service to recover a body and that i've been using the Claddagh Quay for as long as I can remember she wasn't long changing her attitude and was full of chat etc.

As you say, heart in the right place, but is away with the fairies (or swans in this case)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

so its natural selection we have decided on ...so whose going to let her know?

axiom32 wrote: »
    so its natural selection we have decided on ...so whose going to let her know?

I wouldn't waste my breath - leave her off, whatever keeps her happy tbh. It only gets annoying when she tries to interfere with other people (which she does). I don't use Claddagh quay anymore so doesn't bother me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sandybee

Maybe she would be better off in Connemara. they shoot seagulls, don't they?

I wouldn't waste my breath - leave her off, whatever keeps her happy tbh. It only gets annoying when she tries to interfere with other people (which she does). I don't use Claddagh quay anymore so doesn't bother me

Think this is Woodquay where she was "protecting" the swan, not the Claddagh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Anyone ever seen Grizzly Man? Swans can be some pretty vicious creatures.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Think this is Woodquay where she was "protecting" the swan, not the Claddagh.

Ah ok, I was thinking of 'Crazy Claddagh woman'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Saw a vicious attack at the Claddagh last week - a big bruiser of a swan drove off a male making a mating dance with a female, then grabbed the female by the neck, raced her across the bay and screwed her, and then appeared to be trying to drown her, holding her head below the water.

The same female - an almost-grown cygnet but still with traces of grey - is around at the moment with a big wound on her head.

I wouldn't have any attitude about the people (not just that woman) trying to save the swan and cygnets. Bunches of cygnets have been killed there; why not try to help one family survive?

Ah ok, I was thinking of 'Crazy Claddagh woman'

No she could be the same woman, seems to have a thing about swans, so maybe she's the swan vigilante down the Claddagh too... I won't name her but she lives in Woodquay and everyone there thinks she's nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

I'm willing to bet if Swans were as ugly looking as their nature is bad, she'd be off trying to save unicorns or some other sh!te instead -get a life woman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

She has a life. It may not be your life, and you may have your opinions on her actions, but it's her life and her choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

luckat wrote: »
    She has a life. It may not be your life, and you may have your opinions on her actions, but it's her life and her choice.

and a fine life it is too, lying around in a boat all day threatening swans, in fact I might join her :pac:

SAVE THE TREES! Er, I mean swans... SAVE THE SWANS!

Sure don't they eat swan in some countried - maybe she's just afraid we're getting hungry nyom nyom nyom :pac:

Advertisement