Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An post - delivering wrong mail

Options
  • 04-06-2008 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

We have a post man which gets sick quite often. Or when he's on holiday, there is always a different post man/woman that doesn't have a clue. Iv seen my own post man last week with another fella showing him who lives where. So he's obviously off for a few weeks if he's been showing a new fella around.

These new post men/women doesn't have a clue. We have often recieved neighbours mail and we always end up doing the post man's job ourselfs by delivering neighbours mail to them. Usually a house up or down from ourselves.

Here's the thing, we live on a street with 4 more houses with the same surnames. 3 of them are family, so i know we will end up receiving mail, just not delivered by the post man.
    The other house has never once came with our mail. They have a phscho son, so im not sure if that has anything to with it. He's not right in the head at all. But then im not sure if they ever have received anything for us cause they have never once came to us. But i bet they have.

I'm not sure if stuff is getting lost in the post or if its being delivered to the wrong house. But im not receiving half the stuff im meant to be getting. And i shouldn't have to go knocking on neighbours doors to check if they received anything.

I have been waiting the past month for something from scotland and i didn't get it yet. I contacted the person that sent it 2 weeks ago saying i never received it and its probably lost cause it shouldn't take 2 weeks from scotland. She sent it again by registered post 2 weeks ago and i still didn't receive it. I don't know where my mail is going.
    I ordered something from an irish website on monday that guarantees next day delivery if ordered before 11am. Considering monday was a bank holiday, it would have been posted out yesterday. I still didn't get it (my mail always comes in the morning, so there's no chance that il get it later).
    And my mother has been waiting 3 months for her medical card.

Is there anything that i can do cause im getting fairly annoyed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

lisajane wrote: »
    Is there anything that i can do cause im getting fairly annoyed.
    Contact an post and complain.

Assuming that the postman is using names to determine where people live, I'm assuming that you live somewhere rural that the houses aren't numbered.

Have you considered naming your houses? You have to see how difficult it could be for a new postman to remember that "John, Joe and Mary Smith live in the house on the right, Billy and Maeve Smith in the one on the left and little Alison and Paul and Rita Smith in the house in the middle".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

seamus wrote: »
    Contact an post and complain.

Assuming that the postman is using names to determine where people live, I'm assuming that you live somewhere rural that the houses aren't numbered.

Have you considered naming your houses? You have to see how difficult it could be for a new postman to remember that "John, Joe and Mary Smith live in the house on the right, Billy and Maeve Smith in the one on the left and little Alison and Paul and Rita Smith in the house in the middle".

I agree it would be difficult but its his job and my old post man showed him around last week. And its not to difficult to knock on the door and ask to make sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I did that job, relief post in a rural area. Five hundred houses, most with no names/numbers. You don't really expect the postman to knock at every door where there might be a like name, do you? Put a name on your house. Whatever you think, you also have a responsibility to enable the postman to do his job. It probably took the older guy years to learn which lisajane is in which house.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

I agree it would be difficult but its his job and my old post man showed him around last week. And its not to difficult to knock on the door and ask to make sure.

Sorry, but the postman is not about to knock on every door of every house he has to deliver to, on the off chance the names are the same.
    Either give your house a name or a number, it will make life easier for all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Better yet, get a basic map of your area with the houses on it. Number the houses, and then add a key, listing who is in which house.

Hand that to the relief guy when you see him. He'll love you for it.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

In fairness that's a great idea.

Without numbers it must be a pain to deliver.

For good news - I posted off a laptop using express post from Cork to Limerick and it was delivered at 08:20 this morning - not bad service. With my ebay parcel card it cost 12.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

.... And its not to difficult to knock on the door and ask to make sure...

Shows a complete lack of understanding of what the job involves.

Why did you describe, quite unnecessarily in my view, your neighbor in the most disparaging of terms?

This is part of what you wrote
    They have a phscho son, so im not sure if that has anything to with it. He's not right in the head at all. But then im not sure if they ever have received anything for us cause they have never once came to us. But i bet they have.

Let me ask you: do you know anyone, family or friend, with a mental illness?
    If so do u describe them in these terms?

It is one thing to say these things, quite another to post them on a forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

ircoha wrote: »
    Shows a complete lack of understanding of what the job involves.

Why did you describe, quite unnecessarily in my view, your neighbor in the most disparaging of terms?

This is part of what you wrote

Let me ask you: do you know anyone, family or friend, with a mental illness?
    If so do u describe them in these terms?

It is one thing to say these things, quite another to post them on a forum.

I think it he was using a nice phrase for describing a 'scumbag'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I live in a Dublin suburb where every street and house are named and numbered, and went through a period earlier this year over a month where we got stuff addressed to other people, or strangers knocked or the door wih our mail. These were all clearly printed envelopes, in most cases with the same number but the wrong street. Don't know how many people in the area complained to An Post, but seems to have been sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

We live in Seaside Avenue, in the estate there is also a seaside road, seaside lane, seaside rise etc so although the houses are numbered we are constantly getting the wrong mail. If I have time I drop it in the correct door or if not, I put it back in the post explaining the mistake. A lot of stuff has gone missing (my neighbours obviously don't return the favour).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

We live in Seaside Avenue, in the estate there is also a seaside road, seaside lane, seaside rise etc so although the houses are numbered we are constantly getting the wrong mail. If I have time I drop it in the correct door or if not, I put it back in the post explaining the mistake. A lot of stuff has gone missing (my neighbours obviously don't return the favour).

I live in the same kind of set up and apart from my neighbour and I having similar names (Aidan and Adrieanne, same surname, I don't find em similar but some do) my post has never been mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Thats a bit of an ignorant attitude. The relief guy was shown around one day and is expected to remember where everyone live.

Give your house a name, make it easier .

Failing that buy a PO box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I had the same problem so I went down to the sorting office and spoke to the manager. It was ok for a while then went bad again. I got one of my missing letters back, an insurance cheque for a break in. I went down to him again showing him the letter they delivered to the wrong place. Then I turned it over and he saw the attached cheque for two grand. His face dropped.

Hasnt happened since.....

Advertisement