Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Critique and advice on this build

Options
  • 04-06-2008 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

compkc0.th.jpg

Put this together - does anything immediately stick out? I'm assuming I'll probably need another fan or two, so anyone care to recommend a good (quiet) one for this case?

Also; these three cards are within about 20 euro of each other, I read around on the internet that the GTS is probably the best of these, but I was wondering if the extra 512mb on the 8800GT would make that worth getting. I wouldn't be having an SLI setup initially, although I'll probably get another card for that in a year or so.

EVGA e-Geforce 8800GTS, 512MB, PCI-Express
    Club3D 9800GTX, 512MB, NVIDIA Geforce 9800GTX, PCI-Express
    MSI NX8800GT Zilent, NVIDIA 8800GT, 1GB, PCI-Express ohne Spiele

And I won't be buying/building this until the end of the summer, so if anyone has any advice to offer on prices going down or better parts out soon that would be appreciated. :)

edit: forgot to put in the cards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Looks like a decent build! If your not buying or building for another few months your wasting your time looking at the system as a whole....alot change in 2 months especially prices and specs. New nvidia and ati cards out in a few weeks which will shake things up too....keep up the looking at parts through the summer and if you notice any trends maybe buy some bits before they go up in price.....im thinking ddr2 ram is gonna be more expensive by the end of the summer so watch out for low stock levels!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've seen benches where the 1GB 8800gt actually performs worse than the 512MB version. I'd go with the 8800gts or 9800gtx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tanora78

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The PSU that comes with that case is a good one and enough for any single card. The 9800GTX is the best of that bunch, the 8800Gt the slowest and that 1gb model you've selected is useless and cost you a frame or two at high resolutions rather then help. If it's for games, I'd also get an 8400 or similar rather then a Q6600.....though you say you've not building towards the end of the summer, but which time prices will be completely different as well as new hardware available.

Advertisement