Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you find paper one?

Options
  • 04-06-2008 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Just home, in fact the exam isn't over for another 15 minutes :pac:

I thought it was a walk, I chose the article on Teenagers for my question A and I did the two Diary entries on the Violin entry for Question B. My question B was a bit iffy because I kind of winged it, never did those in class. But I Included dats and other diary-esque vocab and structure so I hope I get high marks.
    My essay was half pre-prepared although I didn't plan it that way, it's just the shifty eyed seventeen year old fit very well with a short story I got an A in a few months ago.

So....How did you all find it!?:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I found it quite hard but the compisition was easy I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

I didn't like any of the B parts really, but I did the best with what I had, which composition did you choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Yeah I wasn't a great fan of B parts either. Ended up doing the letter on teenage culture, the violin comprehension on part A (which was really handy) and the location/setting short story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I did the Part A questions on the first text, teenagers. Grand enough. For the Part B I did text 3, the "we are what we wear" one. Again grand enough.

I was delighted with the essay titles, very broad and easy. I picked the "things that make you happy" one, wrote about music.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

nasty paper! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

BJC wrote: »
    Just home, in fact the exam isn't over for another 15 minutes :pac:

I thought it was a walk, I chose the article on Teenagers for my question A and I did the two Diary entries on the Violin entry for Question B. My question B was a bit iffy because I kind of winged it, never did those in class. But I Included dats and other diary-esque vocab and structure so I hope I get high marks.
    My essay was half pre-prepared although I didn't plan it that way, it's just the shifty eyed seventeen year old fit very well with a short story I got an A in a few months ago.

So....How did you all find it!?:p
    Why did you leave so early?:eek:

The first reading comprehension was easy enough......diary entries in text 2 was simple.....

And finshed off with a nice speech on the importance of national pride.. even threw in a nice Oscar Wilde quote!
    only 3 and a bit pages though for the speech:(

Overall happy enough..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 bohs1890

Meh...thought it was aite, but i thought the essays options were poo..

blue-army wrote: »
    Why did you leave so early?:eek:

I've always been a speedy writer, Ive never had a time managment problem with any exams, including geog and history, once I get writing I get torrents of info flooding my brain, my powers of editing go into overdrive and my brain throws up all over the page :p

I was the forst out though, of the whole year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

it was alright.
    for a I did the teenagers one that was fine, the second question was a bit difficult but alright.

For the B i did You are what you wear. Wasn't the easiest

for the essay I did the Global society speech one and said I was in favor of it.
    was a bit weak at it.

But I am weak at english anyway so I think I did fine.
    Now time for paper2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

don't worry about it today, lots of people leave early all the time and do best, id say your one of them, but maybe just force yourself to stay there for the rest of them, i didn't and missed some obvious msitake, it was 3 years ago now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I thought it was alright, found the mocks easier, but can't complain.

Did my Question A on Text 2 (Violin) and question B on Text 1 (Letter about teenage culture). My essay was the "I have a beautiful view" one. Was grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭JamieK

It was an okay paper....the really easy essay options kinda cancelled out the nasty comprehensions!!! :pac:

common knowledge a diary entry was gna come up but like...yea im eva i kno loads about violins nd stuff....
    ....hang on a sec...im jamie...i know nothing about violins!!! haha

things that make you happy essay was piss-easy....4 pages on like....everything in life...a sermon basically!!! haha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

That stupid violin comprehension
    I wrote 2 pages for the first question went **** and ran out of time for everything else
    Section B was that we are what we wear thing, amazing:)
    Essay was a mess, was only 4 and a half pages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Thought it was easy enough.Essay options weren't great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Thought it wasn't too bad. Did question A on text 3 and the letter about teenagers for question B. The essay on the location/ setting was handy enough too. A nice enough paper for day 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

Effed up my essay :(

So annoyed with myself. Did the one advice for adults, but thought it was teenagers. Rectified it in the closing minutes but its mediocre to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 AoifeN

Question A: Teenagers - I found it easy but looking back, I didn't write that much
    Question B: We are what we wear - Usually avoid this topic but it wasn't too bad
    Section 2: Speech on national culture and identitity. I had been hoping something like this would come up. I only wrote three pages though

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭JamieK

i know its a bit late asking now but how much should you write for comprehensions and an essay like??? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭peteballagh

it was dead easy

I did question A on the violin thing
    Question B - "We are what we wear" (i wrote an essay with that title for my mocks - gosh!)

Composition - Describe a place you consider beautiful

I was desperately afraid I was going to fail - but it was a piece of cake. Much easier than any of the past years imo

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

i liked the mock paper better. but this one was fine too :)
    did Qa on t2 and qb on t1.. essay was on appearances :D lots of feminist thought went into that :D lol
    The use of dictionary helped as well.. got a chance to correct some nasty spellings :D

• Advertisement

Can someone tell me the structure or method for writing a diary entry...want to know if I did it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DylanJames

It was decent. Alright part a (text 1), decent b (text 3), and managed to get the essay I learned in, so i'm happy enough. Tomorrow's a different story though

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

Question A -Teenagers -Very easy and good questions
    Question B -Violin -Great article and nice question

Section 2 -Q.7 -Did it about a specific battle on a hill during WW2

In total I wrote about 10 pages

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

I did Question A from Text 3, the one with the rooms.. thought that was only okay-ish, and I spent far too long on it, had to rush question B a bit. I did the B question from Text 1, the letter about teenage culture.. it basically went on a rant about the media and how the youth today is misguided. :p

I did the last essay choice, the one where setting/location is a significant feature.. I was quite happy with that, although it was just over 3 and a half pages. Hmmm.

All in all, went as well as I could have asked for, given that I hadn't really prepared much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

I thought it went well. Did my part A on the violin part B the letter on teenage culture and composition was the rebellous teenager one wrote 5 pages so im happy.

One paper down, nine to go :) Im putting that 1 behind me now and focusing on learning all those quotes for tomorow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

"We are what we wear"?

What!? If I had to write something under that title, it would be concentrated rage directed at the heading and what I think it means. Then I'd start punching people. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭i-cheat

can someone tell me what they wrote for part (iii) for question A....the question about do you think the author sympathised with teenagers??? i said he didnt but it was all bullsh*t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Casserine

Does anybody have their paper one there handy? Could somebody tell me the exact wording of question seven on composition? That's the one I chose, and I'm now having my usual post-exam freak out, wondering if I read the question correctly. Somebody help a girl out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I'm very happy, good way to start the LC

I went for question A in text one (barely read the other two texts so gained a lot of time here), the question were very straight forward and the text was nice and interesting.

My question B was from text 3 which was the article on ''we are what we wear'', I was able toc ome up with a lot of points and was very happy.

My composition also went well, I chose the 1st one, the article on giving advice to parents on how to help teens cope with adolescence.
    A lot of the same structure to the question B answer I chose, I rarely ever do the article but I really liked it as a option today

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Casserine wrote: »
    Does anybody have their paper one there handy? Could somebody tell me the exact wording of question seven on composition? That's the one I chose, and I'm now having my usual post-exam freak out, wondering if I read the question correctly. Somebody help a girl out?
    Write a short story in which setting/location is a significant feature

Did that, based it on a Sonata Arctica song :D only 4 pages but I'm happy enough, thought the paper was fairly handy

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement