Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you find paper one?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭i-cheat

Casserine wrote: »
    Does anybody have their paper one there handy? Could somebody tell me the exact wording of question seven on composition? That's the one I chose, and I'm now having my usual post-exam freak out, wondering if I read the question correctly. Somebody help a girl out?

write a short story in which setting/ location is a significant feature.
    (your story may be prompted by 1 or more of the lcations depicted in Text 3 or by any other setting of your choice)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

i-cheat wrote: »
    can someone tell me what they wrote for part (iii) for question A....the question about do you think the author sympathised with teenagers??? i said he didnt but it was all bullsh*t

OMG YES. Wtf like? I made **** up. I spent wayyy too much time on that comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭JamieK

7. "....my camp, my small lunch, my treehouse"

Write a short story in which setting/location is a significant feature.

(Your story may be prompted by one or more of the location depicted in text 3 or by any other setting of your choice.)

hope dat helps??? :P :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭LayLay

A: Text 3. Was grand, I thought.
    B: Text 1. Also fine. I think I wrote to much though.. It was 4 A4 pages! :eek:

Essays I thought were all a bit dodgy to be honest. I did number 3 about the rebellious teenager. It wasn't a great essay but its done.

Overall, I thought it was a grand paper. Nothing to difficult. Quite happy with it. Now, paper2 is another story...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭HELLO132

I can't believe it i just wrote a good five page essay out last night which i could use for the place essay(Q7) and i was happy. Then i spent way too long on the other questions and i only got 3 pages done and i had to end it so abruptly the examiner wouldn't know what happened. I knew this would happen :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

i-cheat wrote: »
    can someone tell me what they wrote for part (iii) for question A....the question about do you think the author sympathised with teenagers??? i said he didnt but it was all bullsh*t

The author most definitley sympathised with teenagers. Didn't mention any of the negative stigmatatism attached to teens. Drinking, violence etc (which was just as evident back then as it is now). He quoted the American Psychologist Dr. Hall saying that teens shoul be dealt with sympathy and respect. This shows he is sympathetic also...there was somehting else aswell that has since slipped my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Casserine

Cheers to everybody who wrote out question 7, mucho mucho gracias! That's calmed me right down, I read it correctly!

I did the first comprehension and for my question B, I did the diary entry. Had fun with that, my Russian guy is very stereotypically Russian: slightly broken English, references to vodka and my friends Vladimir and Illyich.

Now, onto Paper Two. *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dmccaff

did my question A on the violin piece, thought it was a bit too easy?
    Did the letter on teenage culture for question B, started giving my views on emo's and happy slapping!

for the composition I did the one about global society, should we protect out culture and identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ino112

Question A - Text 3.

Found this the easiest. Question one was a bit iffy because you had to discuss 3 areas, but mangaged the time. Wrote 1 page for each question. (1+1/2 for 20 marker).

Question B - Text 1.

The letter was actually very enjoyable to write. Knew enough about the subject to score 3 pages. Whoa!

Essay - Question 3

<3 short stories so this one was the only one for me. The other (the last one?) was horrid so didn't have much choice. But worked with what was given and got 5 pages written in a hurry.

I thought generally the paper was fair. Some people didn't manage their time well enough though :( But there are TWO papers, so tomorrow can make all the difference :)

EDIT: Also, quality is better than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lastminutequest

-Done a great Text 2, Question A (Eva and her violin). But spent way too much time on it.

-Managed to keep calm. Done 4 pages good essay on '17 teenager'

Relised id 20mins to finish essay and Do My Sct I, Question B still.

Quickly wrapped up essay and Donw one page of scribble for Qustion B :(

Not pleased............how je think dat sounds?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

did terrible, only answered 2 questions on the comprehension and a page and a half of the essay. need a miracle to pass the bloody subject. looks like there'll be no college for me next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭LayLay

Ino112 wrote: »
    Question A - Text 3.

Found this the easiest. Question one was a bit iffy because you had to discuss 3 areas, but mangaged the time. Wrote 1 page for each question. (1+1/2 for 20 marker).

Question B - Text 1.

The letter was actually very enjoyable to write. Knew enough about the subject to score 3 pages. Whoa!

Essay - Question 3

<3 short stories so this one was the only one for me. The other (the last one?) was horrid so didn't have much choice. But worked with what was given and got 5 pages written in a hurry.

I thought generally the paper was fair. Some people didn't manage their time well enough though :( But there are TWO papers, so tomorrow can make all the difference :)

Did all the same questions as me then! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Question A from Text 3, the one with the photos of the rooms. (i) asked about their personalities based on the written piece, (ii) asked about which room you'd prefer based on the photos, and (iii) asked you describe one of the rooms in detail (using a different photo than the one you used in (ii))

Didn't get too far into the (iii) because I abandoned the question and only had five minutes or so to come back to it at the end. Did Question B from Text 1, the letter to the guy that wrote the extract on the history of teenage identity.

For the Composition, did Q6, a school magazine article on stuff that makes you happy. Plenty of summer references in it, felt happy just writing it even if I did rush the end a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

lovechem wrote: »
    OMG YES. Wtf like? I made **** up. I spent wayyy too much time on that comprehension.

ye i said he was neutral and just wrote a informative and intresting story
    then i said i would like read the rest of it...Essay was a pure joke just bout got 2 pages was a complete disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

did terrible, only answered 2 questions on the comprehension and a page and a half of the essay. need a miracle to pass the bloody subject. looks like there'll be no college for me next year...

Tomorrow's a nother day buddy, get stuck into your comparitive texts and Othello ahead of poetry as poetry has way more to cover for only 30 marks. You can pass it, get the head down!

P.S. Someone please tell me how to write those feckin diary entries, I need to know if I did it right!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭i-cheat

BJC wrote: »
    The author most definitley sympathised with teenagers. Didn't mention any of the negative stigmatatism attached to teens. Drinking, violence etc (which was just as evident back then as it is now). He quoted the American Psychologist Dr. Hall saying that teens shoul be dealt with sympathy and respect. This shows he is sympathetic also...there was somehting else aswell that has since slipped my mind.

A ****E!!! well at least i kind of backed up wat i was saying wit reference to the text so they have to give me some marks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Wow hehe I actually enjoyed that exam so much .I know weird and i don't really like english:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

That's pretty much what I said too. Also that it ended on a happy note, with positive quotes about teenagers being the bright future, dawn of a new age etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

The Walsho wrote: »
    I thought it was alright, found the mocks easier, but can't complain.

Did my Question A on Text 2 (Violin) and question B on Text 1 (Letter about teenage culture). My essay was the "I have a beautiful view" one. Was grand!
    I did the exact same questions!

Except my Beautiful View one was far too philosophical, ridiculously so. It was a long ramble and I reckon I'll lost quite a few marks on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

Davidius wrote: »
    "We are what we wear"?

What!? If I had to write something under that title, it would be concentrated rage directed at the heading and what I think it means. Then I'd start punching people. :pac:

Kinda Did All That Minus The Punching. :]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭abcxyz123

Would it have been ok to say no???

I said no as; he thought times were tougher for past teenagers 'them being called delenquients and all that'

he also felt that the modern teenager 'was the best-placed group to flourish'

i also said that he didn't sympathise with them as they were lucky to have their own identity unlike the teenagers of the past 'now teenagers were neither adolescencts nor juvenile delinquents'

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Handy enough, terrible options for the essays though, did the one about having a beautiful view.

B in text 1 and A in text 3

Happy with it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Picked the part B of question one because it was a latter and seemed the easiest out of them all. The part A of Text 3 was chronic so I settled fro Text 2. It was alright bordering on difficult.

The essay number seven was very easy. I would imagine very few people had problems slotting in essays, whether learnt off (like me) or off the cuff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

****ing class paper.

Did my essay on the Beautiful View. Wrote it about DBH. Went class.

Did my A Question on the violin,grand.

Did my B Question on We Are What We Wear. Ripped into stereotypes. Loving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

Soby wrote: »
    ye i said he was neutral and just wrote a informative and intresting story
    then i said i would like read the rest of it...Essay was a pure joke just bout got 2 pages was a complete disaster

I think we're in the same boat comerade :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

I did Question A on the Violin, Question B on Text 3 (Write an article on "You are what you wear") and then I did the 17 year old rebellious youth essay - I'm not too happy with the essay though. I felt it dragged out a bit and that the ending could have been better.

I think it was worthy of a C1 or better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I thought it was grand.Nice paper to get it started with.

Did the Violin comprehension.The first B part and The essay on protecting national cultures and identity.

I also apoligised for my writing at the end cos it might be hard to read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

abcxyz123 wrote: »
    Would it have been ok to say no???

I said no as; he thought times were tougher for past teenagers 'them being called delenquients and all that'

he also felt that the modern teenager 'was the best-placed group to flourish'

i also said that he didn't sympathise with them as they were lucky to have their own identity unlike the teenagers of the past 'now teenagers were neither adolescencts nor juvenile delinquents'

I didn't take sympathy as pity, i interpretted it as he's sympathetic towards teenagers, i.e. on our side. Presenting us in a good light, not talking about drugs n' whatnot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭peteballagh

****ing class paper.

Did my essay on the Beautiful View. Wrote it about DBH. Went class.

Did my A Question on the violin,grand.

Did my B Question on We Are What We Wear. Ripped into stereotypes. Loving it.

Same here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Got on sound with it.

Did the Question A on the violin story and that was handy, just didn't get the part three of it finished was all. Rest of it was fine though.

Question B I did the article and I think I did a decent one. Starting talking about the different cliques in school and how their clothes reflect their personalities. I thought it was good! ;)

Composition, No.7, and did it fairly simple, a football match on MArs between humans and aliens and filled it with descriptive imagery galore etc....

Tomorrow could be a different kettle of fish though...

Advertisement