Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you find paper one?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

yup i think its time to drop the ole 50euro note into paper 2;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭abcxyz123

Parsley wrote: »
    I didn't take sympathy as pity, i interpretted it as he's sympathetic towards teenagers, i.e. on our side. Presenting us in a good light, not talking about drugs n' whatnot.

ok......i should be ok anyway i backed it up well. there's no point of worrying about it now anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

BTW, How much did everyone roughly write?

Question A: Page each apart from (iii) which I didn't finish.
    Question B: 2 pages.
    Essay: just under 4 pages

I write shockingly small btw. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

Well - it was a start anyway!

I did Question A Text 1... looks like most people did. I said he was sympathetic with modern teenagers... And I guess I could back it up so it'll be ok

Then Question B from Text 2... I had to stop myself from calling Russia 'the old country'. Other than that, fine. The second one (that Zach wrote) was short and crazy. (I was running out of time :o)

And Essay 7, a thing of beauty... a couple of years ago there was an essay based on a picture of loads of different places... and wrote one about a European City... basically, dream essay! Did about 7 pages.

All in all, about 14 pages, methinks. I'm completely screwed for Poetry tomorrow tho... And the comparatives aren't too good either. And then there's chemistry... :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Worst paper ever, but I pulled it off somehow.

In the comprehensions for the one that said "my . . . ., my launch, my. . ."

Did it say Launch or Lunch???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

I thought it went very well

Text 2 part A
    Text 1 part B
    Composition: describe a beautiful place :D

that was better than i hoped anyway, lets see how Peper 2 fares out eh? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    That stupid violin comprehension
    I wrote 2 pages for the first question went **** and ran out of time for everything else
    Section B was that we are what we wear thing, amazing:)
    Essay was a mess, was only 4 and a half pages

Only 4 and half? That's absolutely fine...
    2 pages for the first question is insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

That was grand!!!

Roll on MAHON
    IAGO
    THEME OR ISUUE

hhahaha heres hoping anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

abcxyz123 wrote: »
    Would it have been ok to say no???

I said no as; he thought times were tougher for past teenagers 'them being called delenquients and all that'

he also felt that the modern teenager 'was the best-placed group to flourish'

i also said that he didn't sympathise with them as they were lucky to have their own identity unlike the teenagers of the past 'now teenagers were neither adolescencts nor juvenile delinquents'

I hope so! I said no too, because he focused on the shallow kind of side of youth, and only talked about the material/recreational aspects, nothing about young people doing anything good or worthwhile....

I also did the Text 3 section B, which was pretty easy, and the speech about the national identity thing. Didn't think I did particularly well on the essay, I was for and it kind of came across a bit racist and not very well backed up. :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

If Rich comes up in the poetry tomorrow I'll be delira with me stira, I'll tell ya that. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Yeah Rich would be good, only thing is I dont know her quotes too well. Mahon would be fairly nice as well. Just think then - no more English for the rest of our lives!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I was really happy with that. I wrote 14 pages, I have average sized handwriting.

I did the first question A, and then I did the last question B...the one on "we are what we wear".

Then I did the speech on the national culture and identity. I was against protecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Text 2 part A about the violin.. For some reason every time I went to write violin I ended up with viloin or vilion or something stupid.. By the end of the question I had the tippex ready in anticipation of a misspelling of that word..

Text 3 part B.. Good opening but I think I could have wrapped it up a bit better..

Essay - No.7 - the short story where setting/location was a significant feature.. My setting was the desert and it was pretty random.. About 1100 words.. Not sure how it went..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Timans wrote: »
    I did the exact same questions!

Except my Beautiful View one was far too philosophical, ridiculously so. It was a long ramble and I reckon I'll lost quite a few marks on it.

hmm... i did those questions! :D....the letter was the worst bit tho :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

turgon wrote: »
    Yeah Rich would be good, only thing is I dont know her quotes too well. Mahon would be fairly nice as well. Just think then - no more English for the rest of our lives!!!!!!!!

Mark my words they will both come up.More positive about mahon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

turgon wrote: »

I hope to do English in College. :P

Well I suppose if your into it!!! The only part of it I like is that poetry. But not that good at writing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

I hope to do English in College. :P

Snap! Well, English and History. Right at this moment, tho, I'm not so sure why...

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

abcxyz123 wrote: »
    Would it have been ok to say no???

I also said that he didnt sympathise with them as they were lucky to have their own identity unlike the teenagers of the past 'now teenagers were neither adolesencts nor juvenile delinquents'
    i-cheat wrote: »
    A ****E!!! well at least i kind of backed up wat i was saying wit reference to the text so they have to give me some marks

It's absolutley fine to say no as long as you have at least two but preferably three well worded points to back it up.

Wow hehe I actually enjoyed that exam so much .I know weird and i don't really like english:D

I had a class time doing mine aswell, although I like English.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭HELLO132

I struggled finishing the essay on time, the essay itself was okay but would i of been better off:
    a) Leaving it the way it was(without an ending) with a moderatly good essay
    or
    b) Finishing the essay with an abupt(crap) ending not making too much sense

Which one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 stuba9

I did alrite!Cant really tell with english tbh!But im happy with what i done :D:D

Done part A off text 1-Was ok bit dodgy bout that sympathy qusetion tho

Done part B off text 3-Same as the question A was really hoping for a review coz im ace at them but......:p

Did No.6 essay-Pretty happy with it done an A-Z article....and got 4 pages writen which was a big change from the mocks where i only got 2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

i found it allright!
    thankfully the timing went okay too!
    was finished at 12 so had time to look over and correct etc.

i done:
    QA- comprehension 2
    QB- comprehension 1
    Essay no.4 - personal essay on 'a beautiful place'

found the B part trickey,
    as i don't think i answered enough on EXACTLY what the question asked!
    used some humour too, which probs wasn't the appropiate registar!!

Essay- was ok,
    i'm just hoping the correcter has a sence of humour, or i'm going to do crap!
    I went on about 'this place is a place we can control the weather so we don't have to fork out money on fake tan' etc.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 penguinbars

Beautiful!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

ok paper 1:

Section A: text 3 on the rooms. seems like not too many people did that one so maybe ill stand out. i was sorta sh!tting my way through most of it but i came up with somethin interesting.

Section B: wrote a letter to yer man about teenagers. Praised him for his essay (didn't even read the extract properly), then went on to say that i liked the way he described the teens of our parents generation as many teens nowadays are under the impression that they are unique, that they are the first generation of rebellious teens. Then i said that i asked my mum about her teens and she said she was in love with elvis and fantasized that she'd marry him one day. and i copared this to the countless teen girls who want to be the next Ms. Usher and Ms. JayZ. lol. then i just waffled on about teens being more political nowadays and how the adults these days respect us a lot more. (give the examiner a bit of praise)

Essay: Described a beautiful place. had an essay on my childhood prepared and in that essay, i basically described the fun I had with my friends running through leaves and being chased in a block of apartment blocks beside my house. Written like a narrative and as if it was written by a child. really innocent language. I said that it was amazing that even after traveling to so many beautiful places abroad. The most beautiful scene i ever saw was the green in that that apartment block on a summers day. wrote about four pages, which reading over your posts doesn't seem like a lot, but it was four pages of pure brilliance. i nearly cried i was so happy with it. nearly...

i really hope i got an A in that. Before going in i thought i was gonna fail but it went so well that maybe these exams aren't all they're cracked up to be. I'm fuqed for paper two so ill probably get a B2 overall. WOO!

Well I suppose if your into it!!! The only part of it I like is that poetry. But not that good at writing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

How do you write diary extracts? I did those and am not sure I did it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

Mark my words they will both come up.More positive about mahon

Hiya,
    I'm only learning Boland, Mahon,and Rich!
    I HOPE HOPE HOPE one of these come up or I'm doomed!

I think it would be a good idea to learn Plath JUST INCASE,
    but it's just too much!

Boland isn't on next year, and she last came up in 2005, so I'm sure she'll be on it!

Is it too risky not to learn other though?

AND OTHELLO:
    im thinking:
    Othello- his downfall
    Iago- how he manipulates people!

What do ye suggest?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Did Question A on text 3.. How easy like?(I hope) 20 marks for describing a photograph. And the first part was grand too. I could have done a 15 marker describing any one of their personalities... So I wrote way too much, about 3 pages in total for Question A.

Question B was the letter about teenage culture. I got a bit ranty and probably came across as an angry 50 year old trapped in the skin of an 18 year old girl but what can you do. Wasn't too fantastic, rushed it a little. Wrote a bit over 2 pages.

Essay was the one about setting/location. No picture essay? PFM not pleased. It was grand though, wrote a bizarre story about some girls in the atacama desert meeting an old wise man with a pet condor. As you do. Came to about 5 pages or so.

Finished with 20 minutes to spare, so I just read over the other texts. I thought that violin one was dire, stayed well away.

And now to study for paper 2. Poor souls doing Home Ec...

BJC: As far as I'm aware there is no set format for a diary extract, so long as you do it believably in their voice. Just informal, personal thoughts, descriptions of what happened maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭HELLO132

HELP!
    I struggled finishing the essay on time, the essay itself was okay but would i of been better off:
    a) Leaving it the way it was(without an ending) with a moderatly good essay
    or
    b) Finishing the essay with an abupt(crap) ending not making too much sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭The-Rafalution

yano for the letter
    is the format dear jon yours sincerely or dear sir yours faithfully.......or does it matter?

Advertisement