Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you find paper one?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

laura* wrote: »
    AND OTHELLO:
    im thinking:
    Othello- his downfall
    Iago- how he manipulates people!

What do ye suggest?:confused:

I'm thinking they could do a sort of combined question- How othello's downfall wasn't JUST down to iago's manipulation or somesuch. Get you to talk about his tragic flaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I wrote five pages in total for question A. Is that too much???

Then B - 2 pages, Essay 6 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

found the B part trickey,
    as i don't think i answered enough on EXACTLY what the question asked!
    used some humour too, which probs wasn't the appropiate registar!!
    Yes, I have the exact same feeling. I more or less talked about myself as a teenager and then talked about the freedoms, oppurtunities of teenagers. Not sure did I really talk about teenage culture but it was my own opinion throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Parsley wrote: »
    I'm thinking they could do a sort of combined question- How othello's downfall wasn't JUST down to iago's manipulation or somesuch. Get you to talk about his tragic flaw.
    I'd love that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

BJC wrote: »
    How do you write diary extracts? I did those and am not sure I did it right.

dear diary and date is all i suppose.
    i dont think they give you too many marks for the layout. as long as the body of the text and the register is ok.
    all i wrote regarding layout for my letter was dear Jon. i didn't put the date and place because i didn't want the examiner knowing where i was from. should have put the date at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

Mark my words they will both come up.More positive about mahon
    Peleus wrote: »
    ok paper 1:

Section A: text 3 on the rooms. seems like not too many people did that one so maybe ill stand out. i was sorta ****ting my way through most of it but i came up with somethin interesting.

Section B: wrote a letter to yer man about teenagers. Praised him for his essay (didn't even read the extract properly), then went on to say that i liked the way he described the teens of our parents generation as many teens nowadays are under the impression that they are unique, that they are the first generation of rebellious teens. Then i said that i asked my mum about her teens and she said she was in love with elvis and fantasized that she'd marry him one day. and i copared this to the countless teen girls who want to be the next Ms. Usher and Ms. JayZ. lol. then i just waffled on about teens being more political nowadays and how the adults these days respect us a lot more. (give the examiner a bit of praise)

Essay: Described a beautiful place. had an essay on my childhood prepared and in that essay, i basically described the fun I had with my friends running through leaves and being chased in a block of apartment blocks beside my house. Written like a narrative and as if it was written by a child. really innocent language. I said that it was amazing that even after traveling to so many beautiful places abroad. The most beautiful scene i ever saw was the green in that that apartment block on a summers day.

i really hope i got an A in that. Before going in i thought i was gonna fail but it went so well that maybe these exams aren't all they're cracked up to be. I'm ****ed for paper two so ill probably get a B2 overall. WOO!

well done :D
    i done the same for B
    praised him lots!
    didnt really know what they were REALLY looking for!
    but i said Usher was sending out the message girls WILL 'MAKE LOVE IN THIS CLUB'
    :pac:

your essay sounds fun!
    good luck tomrrow !!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭JamieK

****ing class paper.

Did my essay on the Beautiful View. Wrote it about DBH. Went class.

Did my A Question on the violin,grand.

Did my B Question on We Are What We Wear. Ripped into stereotypes. Loving it.

OMG perfect....went into stereotypes too....saying that we all get judged on what we where....saying i could be classed as a scumbag or a hurler seen as i wear tracksuits and like...emos, preppy ppls and stuff like that....nice enough summary at the end though basicly saying not to judge on first impression...sweet!!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

BJC: As far as I'm aware there is no set format for a diary extract, so long as you do it believably in their voice. Just informal, personal thoughts, descriptions of what happened maybe.

Ah brilliant, I was afraid that I missed something important structure wise, I did write the date of course. Cheers!

yano for the letter
    is the format dear jon yours sincerely or dear sir yours faithfully.......or does it matter?

i said faithfully !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Yeah, I didn't really talk about teenage culture myself. I just wrote about how it was refreshing that he wrote about teenagers without mentioning ASBO's and other terms which the media has made synonomous with teens. I ended on quite a good note. My worry is that I messed the structure of the letter up. I did it like this:

____________________ [My Name,
    ____________________ Address Line 1
    ____________________ Address Line 2]

Dear John Savage,

________I am writing etc etc etc

I originally forgot to put in my address at all, but went back and changed it. However, it's all messy and I had to do the John Savage Address really small and put an arrow leading underneath where I wrote my address.

Hmmm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaz d

Did the Letter in Text one and the part A in text 3, then used a pre-prepared essay for the 17 year question. needed a bit of tweeking as i wrote it but worked out brilliant imo. it was 4 pages and a quarter

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭HELLO132

HELLO132 wrote: »
    HELP!
    I struggled finishing the essay on time, the essay itself was okay but would i of been better off:
    a) Leaving it the way it was(without an ending) with a moderatly good essay
    or
    b) Finishing the essay with an abupt(crap) ending not making too much sense

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER ME? :)

yano for the letter
    is the format dear jon yours sincerely or dear sir yours faithfully.......or does it matter?

Yes, for a letter appropriate vocab is extremley important. And it's a formal letter so dear Jon will get you marked down Im afraid. Dear Mr. Savage (which is a class name) is whats expected of you for that. And the end shoudl be either:
    Your sincerley
    Regards
    Yours etc.

Thats type of thing, feck all marks going for it though so I wouldn't worry about it.

alan4cult wrote: »
    Yes, I have the exact same feeling. I more or less talked about myself as a teenager and then talked about the freedoms, oppurtunities of teenagers. Not sure did I really talk about teenage culture but it was my own opinion throughout.

ya cause it said write about your reaction to his article
    and your own personal views!

was definately abit iffey!

so MAYBE the correctors will see that,
    call a big conference
    and MARK it EASY :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

For the diary i just did the date..i didnt think a Dear Diary type thing was needed..did those of you who did it notice it was set in January??.i just put down the 7/1/08 then noticed in the last paragraph on the first page she mentioned it was Jan

I'd say finishing it badly
    cause you could pretend you're all clever and give a wired ending!...

like, 'but it never really happened, i woke up'
    not that, but you know what i mean!

hope it was ok

If your ending was "and then we got in the scissors postion till the break of dawn" it would be better than no ending at all.

Parsley wrote: »

cool thanks :D
    i have an answer wrote out like that from before
    so i'll look over it

DO YOU NOT THINK the timing is bad for PAPER 2
    cause it's gona take forever to structure your answer,
    not only Othello,
    everything else! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭JC06

Ahhhh no!! I wrote is was June :( Ah well, here's to hoping the examiner won't notice haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

ah im sure they wont be harsh but did you not notice the snow? lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

I strongly approve of the inclusion of Vanessa Hudgens in the Leaving Cert. More of that please.

:D

Soby wrote: »
    For the diary i just did the date..i didnt think a Dear Diary type thing was needed..did those of you who did it notice it was set in January??.i just put down the 7/1/08 then noticed in the last paragraph on the first page she mentioned it was Jan

sh*t, I wrote November and only because of the mention of snow. B0llox!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

DO YOU NOT THINK the timing is bad for PAPER 2
    cause it's gona take forever to structure your answer,
    not only Othello,
    everything else! :eek:

I dunno... The timing is just enough really. After history (5/6 a4 pages in about 35 mins) I think that English is really sorta... relaxing... no rush!

Caoimhe89 wrote: »
    I dunno... The timing is just enough really. After history (5/6 a4 pages in about 35 mins) I think that English is really sorta... relaxing... no rush!

+1, when you take history and geography into account, english paper two has ample time.

EDIT - You don't need to write 5/6 pages in 35 minutes. Gross misconseption!! Quality over quantity!!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭JC06

Soby wrote: »
    ah im sure they wont be harsh but did you not notice the snow? lol

I actually did lol...but in my nervousness I forgot...and wrote down the date I'm finished- June 17th :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Diarmsquid wrote: »
    I strongly approve of the inclusion of Vanessa Hudgens in the Leaving Cert. More of that please.

:D

Yeeeurt! Put me right at ease, that did. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭daithi_student

Timans wrote: »
    Yeah, I didn't really talk about teenage culture myself. I just wrote about how it was refreshing that he wrote about teenagers without mentioning ASBO's and other terms which the media has made synonomous with teens. I ended on quite a good note. My worry is that I messed the structure of the letter up. I did it like this:

____________________ [My Name,
    ____________________ Address Line 1
    ____________________ Address Line 2]

Dear John Savage,

________I am writing etc etc etc

I originally forgot to put in my address at all, but went back and changed it. However, it's all messy and I had to do the John Savage Address really small and put an arrow leading underneath where I wrote my address.

Hmmm..

Format of the letter isn't counted for marks its more gettin the tone and language right!

wooo! Thank gods thats over i was dreading it! i did text 2 part A (easy enough) text 1 B (did loads on responding to the extract nearly nothing on my view of teenagers! disaster!) essay Q7 (preprepared perfect essay! boo-ya!)

Quick Question: does the theme of identity carry over to paper 2? if so plaths a banker for the poetry!

Format of the letter isn't counted for marks its more gettin the tone and language right!

wooo! Thank gods thats over i was dreading it! i did text 2 part A (easy enough) text 1 B (did loads on responding to the extract nearly nothing on my view of teenagers! disaster!) essay Q7 (preprepared perfect essay! boo-ya!)

Quick Question: does the theme of identity carry over to paper 2? if so plaths a banker for the poetry!

That's a damn good observation and a damn good question to boot....anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

BJC wrote: »

EDIT - You don't need to write 5/6 pages in 35 minutes. Gross misconseption!! Quality over quantity!!

Ah yeah, but at the same time, you'd want to have actually answered the question... it always takes around 5 pages to answer the question! That and my writings pretty big...

And I'm not saying quality over quantity. I just like both!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

yano for the letter

techincally it should be yours sincerely. yours faithfully is when you are wrriting to an unknown person with a request. it doesnt matter.
    is just wrapped it up and said "from a teenager".

Advertisement