Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you find paper one?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

Peleus wrote: »
    techincally it should be yours sincerely. yours faithfully is when you are wrriting to an unknown person with a request. it doesnt matter.
    is just wrapped it up and said "from a teenager".

i wrote faithfully cause i didnt know the person, supposably :(

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

HELLO132 wrote: »
    CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER ME? :)

if that happened to me, i'd try to finish it. either way the examiner knows you ran outta time and wont mark you down much at all. you get most of your marks for the first two pages.

laura* wrote: »
    well done :D
    i done the same for B
    praised him lots!
    didnt really know what they were REALLY looking for!
    but i said Usher was sending out the message girls WILL 'MAKE LOVE IN THIS CLUB'
    :pac:

your essay sounds fun!
    good luck tomrrow !!

thanks for the luck. ye i really cant wait to read my essay again in August.
    good luck yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Lol, I finished mine like this:

yours sinceerely,
    from ''the hoody generation''
    Joseph Smith.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 penguinbars

BJC wrote: »
    Yes, for a letter appropriate vocab is extremley important. And it's a formal letter so dear Jon will get you marked down Im afraid. Dear Mr. Savage (which is a class name) is whats expected of you quote]

It never states that it must be a formal letter,so they'll accept either.

• Advertisement

Format of the letter isn't counted for marks its more gettin the tone and language right!

wooo! Thank gods thats over i was dreading it! i did text 2 part A (easy enough) text 1 B (did loads on responding to the extract nearly nothing on my view of teenagers! disaster!) essay Q7 (preprepared perfect essay! boo-ya!)

Quick Question: does the theme of identity carry over to paper 2? if so plaths a banker for the poetry!

no the theme is only for paper 1. look back on the papers, theres no sign of a theme in paper two. for those of you doing Rich and Boland, i suggest going over mahon because there is a slight chance Plaith could come up as the female. half the country hasnt even studied her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭daithi_student

Peleus wrote: »
    no the theme is only for paper 1. look back on the papers, theres no sign of a theme in paper two. for those of you doing Rich and Boland, i suggest going over mahon because there is a slight chance Plaith could come up as the female. half the country hasnt even studied her.

Aww, bubble well and truly burst!:o I've my fingers crossed for Plath and Montague but I'm revising Mahon today cause everyone seems to me tipping him.
    Cheers for the quick reply Peleus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

That's a damn good observation and a damn good question to boot....anyone??

If it's identity I'd say Rich would come up. All about feminism, how she wanted to break from the mould that her father set for her and experiment, etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Was grand i thought. Compositoions were handy enough, Section B's were a bit iffy but overall, it was grand yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

It's always a formal letter while writing to anyone that isn't a friend or member of your family. They expect you to know that I'm afraid. Well, says Jim Lusby when I got english grinds on Lesson Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Parsley wrote: »
    If it's identity I'd say Rich would come up. All about feminism, how she wanted to break from the mould that her father set for her and experiment, etc. etc.

Goddamnit I hate Rich...moany cow, she's like Plath except she cant write! Unfortunatley, unlike Plath, Rich didn't kill herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

I did the first comprehension, the diary entries and the rebellious teenager short story.

The comprehension was meh. I found myself repeating the same stuff in a few questions "use of historical facts and timeline".

The diaries were grand. I said Alexander was evil (typical Bond story :P) and Zach was obsessed over Eva.

The short story was alright. A girl on her 18th birthday gets raped. Same old story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭daithi_student

Goddamnit I hate Rich...moany cow, she's like Plath except she cant write! Unfortunatley, unlike Plath, Rich didn't kill herself.

Ohhh... Poetry burn!:D Totally agree though BJC Plath Rocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Yes, for a letter appropriate vocab is extremley important. And it's a formal letter so dear Jon will get you marked down Im afraid. Dear Mr. Savage (which is a class name) is whats expected of you quote]

+1 Wasn't a formal passage either. Formal Letter is to somebody who is of authority or position. This is like fan mail! Your a "savage" fan of his work (extract) and you give your own views. Formal letters aren't about viewpoints as I see it but this asked you for your view. That letter was very like a letter to the editor

Did Question A on text 3.. How easy like?(I hope) 20 marks for describing a photograph. And the first part was grand too. I could have done a 15 marker describing any one of their personalities... So I wrote way too much, about 3 pages in total for Question A.

Question B was the letter about teenage culture. I got a bit ranty and probably came across as an angry 50 year old trapped in the skin of an 18 year old girl but what can you do. Wasn't too fantastic, rushed it a little. Wrote a bit over 2 pages.

Essay was the one about setting/location. No picture essay? PFM not pleased. It was grand though, wrote a bizarre story about some girls in the atacama desert meeting an old wise man with a pet condor. As you do. Came to about 5 pages or so.

Finished with 20 minutes to spare, so I just read over the other texts. I thought that violin one was dire, stayed well away.

And now to study for paper 2. Poor souls doing Home Ec...

BJC: As far as I'm aware there is no set format for a diary extract, so long as you do it believably in their voice. Just informal, personal thoughts, descriptions of what happened maybe.

exact same as me. text 3 section A was a bit too easy for my liking. I wrote 3/4 of a page on Section A Part 1 then realised i had to do it for all three writers so my 15 marker was longer than my 20mark one. wasn't too bad. my description of the untidy room was nice. "Only one square foot of the moth-eaten carpet can be seen under the squalor of used DVDs and scrap paper" i loved that question, basically a page and a bit of pure insults. lol

same story with section B. i definitely didn't want to come across as a snobby arrogant teen who thinks he's great so i went with a bit of a criticism of the teen rap culture. don't think i made my point well enough. mainly just ended up complementing the writer too much.

BJC wrote:

ah Rich is good, nothing like a nice bit o Aunt Jennifer's Tigers before bed...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Soby wrote: »
    For the diary i just did the date..i didnt think a Dear Diary type thing was needed..did those of you who did it notice it was set in January??.i just put down the 7/1/08 then noticed in the last paragraph on the first page she mentioned it was Jan

Ah crap! I said it was December because of the snow...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

Yeah I ended up writing too much for my first two answers on Text One! Oh well =/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

It was so easy for me!! I did the question (a)s on the teenagers and the question (b) on the 'You are what you wear' and for the essay I did the 17 year old teenager one, I just modelled it off all my lad mates who are a group of delinquents haha!
    I just changed the name and recounted last friday night haha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Bryan4president

Question A was on the violin.
    Question B was on first text about my views on teenagers.
    Essay on " New Global society".

Was pretty good exam methinks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

My Essay was just over 3 pages long. Alot of people seem to think thats far too short. Ive done my essays that length all year and got A's and B's so im not worried.

Did a page for each question on the A Question.

B question was two and a half pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

"Only one square foot of the moth-eaten carpet can be seen under the squalor of used DVDs and scrap paper" i loved that question, basically a page and a bit of pure insults. lol

I said he was eccentric and scatty! I didn't insult him. I said I identified with him in one of my questions in fact. Jesus, what does that say about me?!

I did the diary entry, found I wrote too little for Alexander and then tried to compensate by writing a bit more for Zach. I wonder do they split it into 25 and 25 for the two entries? Ah well.

For my comprehension I did the artists' rooms. I liked it, but I almost wrote my whole answer for (ii) based on the extract rather than the picture, but I realised and fixed it soon in. Silly.

I did the rebel short story, felt there was good characterisation but no real story arc. Depends on the examiner for composition, I suppose, but it was okay.

Overall, P1 is always way better than P2. P2 is a real pain in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

You know for the article, do you give a heading, date and signature?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciaranajl

I need some opinions, specifically if you think you did well in this question and have a knack with comprehension questions. It's really bugging me, so I'd just like to see how others tackled the Text 1 A question.

i) 3 pieces of evidence...
    What did you use as evidence? I used the two quotes from newspapers as two separate pieces of evidence saying that teenagers like that still exist showing that it's not a modern phenomenon (the again - what's 'modern'? The last century, last two centuries? Was a bit ambiguous :S)

ii) I did OK at.

iii) Sympathetic... I wrote that he was in describing the Woodcraft group as "earnest"; the French group as "extravagant"; and the encouraging line, "the best placed group to flourish in a post-war era were the young."

Trying to study for paper two, but this just keeps nagging at my mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I hope somebody made sure to write "I am not a jumper". :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Casserine

ciaranajl wrote: »
    I need some opinions, specifically if you think you did well in this question and have a knack with comprehension questions. It's really bugging me, so I'd just like to see how others tackled the Text 1 A question.

i) 3 pieces of evidence...
    What did you use as evidence? I used the two quotes from newspapers as two separate pieces of evidence saying that teenagers like that still exist showing that it's not a modern phenomenon (the again - what's 'modern'? The last century, last two centuries? Was a bit ambiguous :S)

ii) I did OK at.

iii) Sympathetic... I wrote that he was in describing the Woodcraft group as "earnest"; the French group as "extravagant"; and the encouraging line, "the best placed group to flourish in a post-war era were the young."

Trying to study for paper two, but this just keeps nagging at my mind!

For the first part, I just used the line from the novel about the adolescent with the "darting gaze" or whatever, the social pyschologist who coined the term adolescence and the fact that Seventeen magazine was founded in 1944. I think they'd probably accept any piece of evidence, as long as you backed it up with reference to the text and fleshed out your answer a little. For example, for my second piece of evidence I wrote something like; "Stanley Hall's 1890 invention of the word 'adolescent' shows that our present social status is not a new craze, and his description of it as a time of 'stress and strain' is familiar to anybody who has sat through one of those tedious 'Your Body and Puberty' lectures". [Sorry if I have dates / names wrong, I don't have my paper with me as the examiner wouldn't let me take it out of the exam hall].

For the third part, again, they'd probably accept any viewpoint as long as your answer is coherant and makes reference to the text. Personally, I said how at first he seemed negative towards teenagers in the opening paragraph and that you could detect a curmudgeonly tone when he was talking about Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton, but the fact that he quoted Stanley Hall's definition of teenagers showed that he understood that it wasn't easy being at that age. Finally, I said that he didn't seem overly sympathetic towards us, but the fact that he wrote a whole book on the topic showed that he accepted and respected us as a social phenonomen, which some may say is more worthwhile than just respect...

That was the way I approached the questions at any rate, but everyone will have a different spin on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

QA - Teenagers.
    QB - We are What we Wear.

E - "I have a beautiful view..."

Honestly i was thirlled and think i have set myself up well for paper 2. Englsih is one of my stronger subjects. Innit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciaranajl

Casserine wrote: »
    For the first part, I just used the line from the novel about the adolescent with the "darting gaze" or whatever, the social pyschologist who coined the term adolescence and the fact that Seventeen magazine was founded in 1944. I think they'd probably accept any piece of evidence, as long as you backed it up with reference to the text and fleshed out your answer a little. For example, for my second piece of evidence I wrote something like; "Stanley Hall's 1890 invention of the word 'adolescent' shows that our present social status is not a new craze, and his description of it as a time of 'stress and strain' is familiar to anybody who has sat through one of those tedious 'Your Body and Puberty' lectures". [Sorry if I have dates / names wrong, I don't have my paper with me as the examiner wouldn't let me take it out of the exam hall].

For the third part, again, they'd probably accept any viewpoint as long as your answer is coherant and makes reference to the text. Personally, I said how at first he seemed negative towards teenagers in the opening paragraph and that you could detect a curmudgeonly tone when he was talking about Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton, but the fact that he quoted Stanley Hall's definition of teenagers showed that he understood that it wasn't easy being at that age. Finally, I said that he didn't seem overly sympathetic towards us, but the fact that he wrote a whole book on the topic showed that he accepted and respected us as a social phenonomen, which some may say is more worthwhile than just respect...

That was the way I approached the questions at any rate, but everyone will have a different spin on it.

They're good points - thanks for that.

Just a few things - "Teenage culture is not a modern phenomenon. Teenagers did not simply appear fully formed when the term entered everyday use in 1940s." Doesn't this imply that "modern" refers to any time post-1940, meaning that the Seventeen magazine point you made wouldn't be technically correct, seeing as it was first published in 1944 (i.e., a modern time).

And yeah I like your points for part 3 but, I doubt they'd mark you wrong for this, but Paris and Lindsay aren't teenagers, although it's not specified in the text.

Thanks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

I thought it went fairly well, an especially nice opening to the exams.

I did the question A on the writers' rooms, as said earlier, seems like it was a minority choice. It was ok, I felt I answered the specific point of the questions well, but possibly not in the best way which is a change from my usual straying away from the point. I liked part (iii) because it allowed you to get creative, and I threw in a little bit of humor.

Question B - The diary entry. Again I chose this for it's creative scope. I was able to give the Russian chap a back story and take what Zach was quoted on saying, and back it up with his personal feelings. As for the register, it's simple alright, just the date and speak informally. It's your diary after all.

The essay went pretty good. I did the young rebel one. I had written an essay for the mocks on some Russian hoping the border to Finland and the young rebel idea turned out to be a better motive than my original. At least I think. The mocks one was almost an A1, I added a lot to this one because I was familiar with it so had more time, I hope it hasn't lost direction. It will surely be interesting to find out if it was better or worse.

Paper II tomorrow, poetry is killing me. It's the easiest to study, has a huge workload, but carries the least marks. I mostly focused on Boland and Rich, I might give Mahon a fair blast tonight but I haven't got must time. Chemistry!!! I was working hard and confident two weeks ago, and well that was two weeks ago. The times they are a-changing!

Good luck to all tomorrow!

P.s. Someone mentioned constantly misspelling violin. I kept spelling lucky looky, stupid exams melting my brain....

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pocket aces

i think the paper was fair... Q. Bs looked hard at first but they were actually werent that bad. good choice of essay questions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 always&forever

have to say i found it quite amazing. took a bit too long on my A the one from txt 1... but B was diary entries so that didn't take long! and finished it off with a chilling essay. bout the 17-year-old protagonist! thought it was a lovely paper. compared to some past ones. like i thought the texts would be really boring. but they were manageable! loved it :D bet u all did better than you think :) xxxx

Advertisement