Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you find paper one?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Casserine

ciaranajl wrote: »
    They're good points - thanks for that.

Just a few things - "Teenage culture is not a modern phenomenon. Teenagers did not simply appear fully formed when the term entered everyday use in 1940s." Doesn't this imply that "modern" refers to any time post-1940, meaning that the Seventeen magazine point you made wouldn't be technically correct, seeing as it was first published in 1944 (i.e., a modern time).

And yeah I like your points for part 3 but, I doubt they'd mark you wrong for this, but Paris and Lindsay aren't teenagers, although it's not specified in the text.

Thanks anyway!

That's a good point about Seventeen magazine, woops! I was kind of taking modern to mean nowadays, hopefully they won't penalise me too much for that. And yeah, true about Paris and Lindsay, but I was saying how they embody teen culture rather than being teenagers themselves. At any rate, let's hope I get an old examiner who hasn't heard of them!

eroo wrote: »
    nasty paper! :(

What? I thought that it was a really nice papaer!

I chose the A part on the text about teenagers, the diary entrys for the B part and the essay.. "appearances can be deceptive".

Twas grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,539 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hey kiddies what were your essay options this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

Twas a piece of piss, but people, 153 posts on it???

Forget about it, its over, you cant change it, move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Erica-smiley

I thought it was grand!!
    Did part A of the text about the writer's rooms..... it was so easy and then did the diary entries for part b!
    The part B's werent great tbh but it wasnt that bad!!
    The composition was fine as I had a short story ready anyways!!
    More worried about tomoro! :eek::eek:
    xx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭NervyChick

Ah i didnt think it was too bad.. Anyone else do home ec aswell, i am wrecked :( I have started a home ec thread if anyone found it hard let me know :(

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭22diamonds

I'm delighted with the essay choice anyway! I heard that there were complaints after last year's rubbish essay choice so this year was expected to be good. Thanks 2007!! :D

I did the text 1 on teenagers, B was "you are what you wear" and the composition was on a rebellious teenager - i just morphed two of my old essays into one... sounds like a mess but it was oki!

22diamonds wrote: »
    Thanks 2007!! :D

You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

That was an absolute doddle.

Did part A on the violin and part B on we are what we wear.
    Essays were grand.
    I did the speech. I think it was a bit too short though. Only 4 1/2 pages. Ah well. I'm pretty screwed for paper two tomorrow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭theniall

Went ok, did part A on the violin, then part B on the 'we are what we wear' title.

Only wrote 3 and a bit pages for the short story though:(

• Advertisement

So far a few people have they "only wrote" about 4 1/2 pages. I would think that anything over 4 pages is perfect? am i wrong? i thought about 4 pages is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 lorlo

^ I was thinking the same thing! I got about 4 1/2 pages myself and don't think i actually could've written anymore! Surely 9/10 pages would be a bit OTT???

I read in an english book that 3+ pages is expected. It was be 3 pages if they are 3 really well written pages with great economy of expression. So 4-5 normal pages should be perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

I though it was grand overall, but really could've done with another half and hour or so tbh. I started the teenager letter, and wrote about a page, then spend too long thinking about it, so went onto the Violin question A, and wrote way too much for the first two 15 marker questions, and not enough for the 20 marker cause at that point there was only an hour left and I had to get the essay done. I could fit in an essay I had prepared thankfully, but it took way longer to do than I though it would, so never got a chance to go back and finish the letter and try and write more on the 20 marker violin question. Oh well, I still hope I got a C in that paper, as I got seventy something perecent in the mock for P1 and I think overall with this paper it was written alot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Patrickisperfec

Lia_lia wrote: »
    That was an absolute doddle.

I did the speech. I think it was a bit too short though. Only 4 1/2 pages. Ah well. :(

Are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

About what?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 x-katz-x

I thought it was grand! Did text 1 for A, sorta spent a lil too much time on it but i was able to catch up in the B question which i did on text 2. I was really pleased with that nd did the talk about appearances being deceiving but it didnt turn out as well as i had hoped, sorta had to rush it at the end..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Octavarium

Did the essay on what makes me happy.... Only did 3 pages so I'm ****tin' it. Found myself wafflin' a good bit.

Bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 fearceol

deise59 wrote: »
    Yeah I wasn't a great fan of B parts either. Ended up doing the letter on teenage culture, the violin comprehension on part A (which was really handy) and the location/setting short story

i did the same except for the essay,i choose the one about "a beautiful view".not to bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

The question asked was Savage sympathetic to the modern teenager, I don't think he was, the book only included references to teenage life up until 1945 and the adaptation itself only included a minor reference to Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan. Other than that the extract ranged from 1810 to 1945... not really including the modern day teenager... imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

BJC wrote: »

So....How did you all find it!?:p

Eh i didnt really havta look for it, yer man jus gave it to me and said "higher?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Eh i didnt really havta look for it, yer man jus gave it to me and said "higher?"

Have to admit that I laughed at that...
    It was a pretty bland paper in fairness... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Imallin9989

Really well.. had an short dtory prepared and it slotted in nicely in Q7..
    Was hoping a diary entry would apear so I wasdelighted. Then I did TEXT3, which was basic enough..

Overall a very nice paper to sart off with!!

Paper2 will be a different kettle of fish

I'm praiying it will be decent paper.. sacred heart of jesus I place all my trust in you... :p:p:p:D:D:o:o:o:eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

F-SAKE. BJC is that Brian Joseph ? ha. I got a B in that essay a few months back, but It didn't even cross my mind. Made a bollox of my essay (2 and a half pages) which basically leaves me (despite doing well enough in a and b) looking at a D, nasty stuff considering i was close to a 'b' in my mocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 penguinbars

BJC wrote: »
    It's always a formal letter while writing to anyone that isn't a friend or member of your family. They expect you to know that I'm afraid. Well, says Jim Lusby when I got english grinds on Lesson Street.

You're writing an intimate letter to the author discussing your personal response to his book. If it's anyway personal, to do with your feelings, or what it evoked in you, it's informal. They expect you to know that, im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

You're writing an intimate letter to the author discussing your personal response to his book. If it's anyway personal, to do with your feelings, or what it evoked in you, it's informal. They expect you to know that, im afraid.

Don't get you'r knickers in a twist Penguin bars,
    you're wrong, but it's all the same to me...take your win with good grace:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

My speech started good, ended good but lost momentum in the middle. The Text 1 B question was nice, but and the A question on Text 2 was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

minty16 wrote: »
    F-SAKE. BJC is that Brian Joseph ? ha. I got a B in that essay a few months back, but It didn't even cross my mind. Made a bollox of my essay (2 and a half pages) which basically leaves me (despite doing well enough in a and b) looking at a D, nasty stuff considering i was close to a 'b' in my mocks.

You will in your bollox get a D, we both know you're a B student at least, I should know, I've been sittin in front of you for two years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 xxniamhxx

i didnt really like the paper... i panicked when i first saw the essays but eventually settled on "Appearances can be Deceptive" which was interesting to say the least... hope i did ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

yeah i didn like the essays either mine was so unoriginal and gay he more i think about t d more i cringe!!

was the unseen poem in paper 2 about like problems in the father son relationship i said t was!!

wat is an acceptable length 4 a comparative,essay, poetry and othello??

Advertisement