Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving to Skerries

Options
  • 04-06-2008 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

My wife and I are Canadians moving to the Dublin area to take up a new job. We've been looking around and want to live in a small town near the sea but within communting distance (the job is in St. Stephen's Green). So, Skerries has caught our eye (along with Howth and Malahide).

A few questions then that I hope you can all help with.

1. How is the commute by train from Skerries? I see a lot of people griping on these boards about commuting (crowds, delays, parking at the station etc.), but how bad is it really? And the cost? I can't seem to get a straight answer from the Irish Rail site for a monthly pass.

2. Supermarkets....are there any largish ones in Skerries? I've looked online and none of the big markets seem to be there, but what about the non-chain ones?

3. Overall quality of life? We're looking for somewhere safe, friendly, good pubs and restaurants and other activities.

4. How does Skerries compare to Howth and Malahide?

Many thanks for all the help!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

www.taxsaver.ie is worth a look for your commuter ticket.

I wouldn't put Skerries in the same category as Howth or Malahide for many reasons.

Skerries is on the Drogheda train line,it is rare you will ever get a seat during rush hour and is about 40 minutes to town.

Howth and Malahide are on the Dart line and both are 1st stops so you will get a seat.
    Malahide is also served by some of the Drogheda trains.

You will notice a general big difference in house prices though with Skerries generally being cheaper then the 2 other options.

It comes down to how much you want to spend on a place,how convenient you want it to be and if you what kind of area you want to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Skerries is without a doubt a wonderful place to bring up a family and hasn’t been spoilt like Malahide and Howth. Traffic in both places can be a nightmare. I agree the train service is not up to scratch but the town still has the small town feel about it. I know of hundreds of people who work in Dublin City and commute every week to work.

There are small supermarkets, pricey but well stocked and very good delicatessens for the mid week shop. There are none of the Big Supermarkets in the town itself but a drive to Balbriggan (Lidl) or Swords (Pavilions) No stress there!

The town is surrounded by wonderful coast line and the walks and are next to none in north county Dublin.

Check out this web site on what happens in Skerries and what’s there.

http://www.skerriesca.com/

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

DubArk wrote: »
    There are none of the Big Supermarkets in the town itself
    I'm sure Musgrave Group would disagree with you. Their Supervalu supermarket certainly is one of the 'Big Supermarkets' both in terms of number of outlets and sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Bluetonic wrote: »
    I'm sure Musgrave Group would disagree with you. Their Supervalu supermarket certainly is one of the 'Big Supermarkets' both in terms of number of outlets and sales.

Forgive me for saying this, but you sound like an employee of the Musgraves Group or a family member, ruffling your feathers. :) The size of the Supervalu in Skerries is nowhere as big as the Dunnes or Superquinn in Swords or the Tescos in Clarehall...and their produce is not as fresh either. The OP is interested in shops in Skerries after all.

Husband and I are living in Skerries for about a year and a half. We live about 20 mins or so from the town and train station. Husand get the train but rather late, so he's not in peak hour traffic as such. But he still doesn't get a seat and the train seems to be delayed due to break-downs, or waiting for the DART to pass or just late, no reason given.
    I drive to Whitehall everyday and during peak hour that is no joke, the M1 and anywhere leading off the M1 at peak hour traffic is a nightmare. Same on the return trip. The town itself is nice, a very pretty little town. Not a great deal in it but nice. But if your wife and you want to have a base from which you can go into town in the evenings or at the weekends, then the last train leaves Tara St at 11pm and Connolly at 11.20 or so. The Nightlink or the Vomit Comet is not worth considering as it's not very frequent at the weekends, and it takes forever. Usually a few drugged out passengers on that too. It is a nice town but you are in the country after all.

Micamaca wrote: »
    Forgive me for saying this, but you sound like an employee of the Musgraves Group or a family member, ruffling your feathers. :)
    I was simply stating a fact that Musgraves Supervalu is one of the 'Big Supermarkets' (as mentioned by an earlier poster) on this Island of ours in terms of outlets and sales. I am referring to 'Big Supermarkets' as one of the major players in the retail market. There is no denying this as a fact.

Perhaps the earlier poster was referring to the 'Big Supermarkets' in terms of sq ft or shelf space, however my comment still stands.

No part of my comment referring to the physical size of the shop or the quality of the food.

Your comment about me sounding like an employee of the Musgraves Group or a family member is like something a child would say.

• Advertisement

OP, have you read this existing thread on Skerries?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055195473

There are also plenty of other threads in this forum (North County Dublin) covering Skerries.

Your comment about me sounding like an employee of the Musgraves Group or a family member is like something a child would say.

Cheers, I do try to nurture that Inner Child. Must be working. But you are right on my misunderstanding the term Big Supermarkets...it has nothing to do with physical size but the size of the chain.

But I would never do my weekly shop in the Supervalu in Skerries, I stand by that point. It's fine for picking up a few items but not for the big weekly shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

YAWN! You know what i meant, as a store in Skerries it's not one I'd do my weekly shopping in! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭cheridere

but do you actually work for Supervalu/moriarty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

My wife and I are Canadians moving to the Dublin area to take up a new job. We've been looking around and want to live in a small town near the sea but within communting distance (the job is in St. Stephen's Green). So, Skerries has caught our eye (along with Howth and Malahide).

A few questions then that I hope you can all help with

1. How is the commute by train from Skerries? I see a lot of people griping on these boards about commuting (crowds, delays, parking at the station etc.), but how bad is it really? And the cost? I can't seem to get a straight answer from the Irish Rail site for a monthly pass.!

The Rail service from Skerries is regular but if you travel peak times you will NOT get a seat.
    2. Supermarkets....are there any largish ones in Skerries? I've looked online and none of the big markets seem to be there, but what about the non-chain ones?!

Supervalu is a large shopping centre but it is very expensive(same as superquinn without the quality)
    compared to others like dunnes and tesco of which there are none.
    3. Overall quality of life? We're looking for somewhere safe, friendly, good pubs and restaurants and other activities.!

Skerries is Ok for all of these,

Many thanks for all the help!

Not in the same league, but better than most

• Advertisement

DubArk wrote: »
    YAWN! You know what i meant, as a store in Skerries it's not one I'd do my weekly shopping in! :rolleyes:
    You know what I thought you mean, I was fairly clear in stating it above. Your point is fair enough, I don't use the shop so I can't comment. Presumably when it is redeveloped like the Balbriggan store the people of Skerries might find it fit for use. Surprising how so many find it fit for use already.
    cheridere wrote: »
    but do you actually work for Supervalu/moriarty?
    You tell me what answer you want to hear and I'll reply with that, how does that suit you?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭thejem

Skerries is a great place to live and settle down. I've lived in it all my life.
    it has every sport (clubs) you want, pubs, restaurants, sea side and country settings, and still holds a village feeling to it.

Travelling to city centre by train/bus at paek time - pain in the ass, by car - something similar.
    Probably a bit cheaper than Malahide or Howth.

Hope that helps in some way!

You tell me what answer you want to hear and I'll reply with that. x
    Sorry if I touched a nerve......

Anyway, OP ,Skerries is Ok and granted it is better than a lot of towns but Malahide is probably a better option. I dont know much about Howth.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

My wife and I are Canadians moving to the Dublin area to take up a new job. We've been looking around and want to live in a small town near the sea but within communting distance (the job is in St. Stephen's Green).

Also check out Greystones, it satisfies the same criteria as the towns you mentioned. There is a forum on here under Region->East->Wicklow.

I have to say I don't find the train timetable to and from Skerries very frequent at all. There seems to be only one or two trains per hour at most outside of peak hours.

There was talk of extending the DART out to Balbriggan a couple of years ago...which should lead to a more frequent service. Has anyone heard anything on that recently?

By the way OP I hope you like the wind, as it is pretty blustery out in Skerries direction. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Don't make me send you kids to the Thunderdome. I'll do it, by golly I will! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

I have to say I don't find the train timetable to and from Skerries very frequent at all. There seems to be only one or two trains per hour at most outside of peak hours.

There was talk of extending the DART out to Balbriggan a couple of years ago...which should lead to a more frequent service. Has anyone heard anything on that recently? :D

Details = https://www.irishrail.ie/projects/dart_underground.asp

Rashers72 wrote: »

Cheers Rashers, no dates there though that I could see...guess I'll have to email them and see when can I expect the DART to pull into Skerries station. I realise they need to put up a few wires but how long can that take! :p A long time, I'm guessing!

Cheers Rashers, no dates there though that I could see...guess I'll have to email them and see when can I expect the DART to pull into Skerries station. I realise they need to put up a few wires but how long can that take! :p A long time, I'm guessing!
    More information on www.railusers.ie The also have a good forum www.railusers.ie/forum/

I hope you get the information you require, it can't be easy with posters like 'DubArk' and 'cheridere' constantly pulling things off topic. I make a point of not commenting on posters, and I won't make an exception for those fools.

See you all in another thread soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

Skerries is a poormans Howth or Malahide. BTW im from the area near Skerries so im not biased. If you want somewhere quiet and scenic in the Skerries area try Loughshinny, youll get a nice house there for around 1 million euro :)

• Advertisement

More information on www.railusers.ie The also have a good forum www.railusers.ie/forum/

Cool, I had no idea they existed. Cheers for that, will have a good read of those. I'm sure the OP will be glad of those too, as you're better off having the facts about public transport before you move into an area. It's a little bit late once you're there paying the mortgage.

FAO: DubArk, cheridere, bluetonic.
    Chinafoot wrote:
    Don't make me send you kids to the Thunderdome. I'll do it, by golly I will! :P

See that? That was a warning to get things back on-topic. You didn't. You're now getting infracted and if I see even one more off-topic post it will result in a ban.

I'm sending your rubbish where it belongs, the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

http://www.transport21.ie/Projects/Heavy_Rail/Interconnector.html

it can't be easy with posters like 'DubArk' and 'cheridere' constantly pulling things off topic. I make a point of not commenting on posters, and I won't make an exception for those fools.

Is there a monopoly on who can and who cant throw personal abuse in this forum?

And how do I apply to said monopoly ;)

the report function must be broke otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

1. How is the commute by train from Skerries? I see a lot of people griping on these boards about commuting (crowds, delays, parking at the station etc.), but how bad is it really? And the cost? I can't seem to get a straight answer from the Irish Rail site for a monthly pass.
    The commute isn’t that bad. I try & avoid the real crush times though.
    2. Supermarkets....are there any largish ones in Skerries? I've looked online and none of the big markets seem to be there, but what about the non-chain ones?
    As previous posters have said, there are SuperValu & Gerry’s (non-chain) in the village. A large(-ish) EuroSpar is being built on the outskirts of town at the back of Kelly’s Bay.
    3. Overall quality of life? We're looking for somewhere safe, friendly, good pubs and restaurants and other activities.
    Absolutely cracking! Others may disagree, but I find Skerries to be a very safe & friendly place. There are plenty of bars & places to eat (some good, some not so good). There are also a huge number of clubs & associations (sporting & non-sporting) to get involved with.
    Apples & oranges.

cheridere wrote: »
    the report function must be broke otherwise?
    You'll probably find out very soon that the Report Post function is indeed still working. ;)

cheridere banned for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

Hi I have lived in Skerries for just over two years having moved from London and can throughly recommend it.

1. I commute at peak hours and find it reasonably agreeable. I was used to the London tube so on the downside I have had to learn to be organised to get to the station on time every day or it is a long wait for the next train. I walk to the station so that is not a problem. There is never any difficulty getting on the train and it is much more comfortble than squeesing on at Donabate, but you should not expect to get a seat. Reliability is good. Only had one delay getting in in the morning in two years, few evenings when the train has been delayed by say an hour, but maybe only three times in two years. By comparison to London I think that this is pretty good. I think I pay €1000 for an annual ticket - it is deducted from my wages. I know of some people who commute by car, but I would never ever consider it.

2. Supermarkets - Gerrys is as good as a Spar as you will get. Good selection of local fresh veg. C&T is more value concious. Not a big fan of Supervalu. I can get pretty much all I want in these supermarkets. Not great for fresh herbs or fish. The latter may be remedied by the recent opening of a fish shop. There is a Lidl, Tesco and Dunnes in Balbriggan or a good SuperQuinn in Swords.

3. I find the quality of life superb and more than makes up for the bit of effort requred for the commute. It is a hugely family friendly area. Restaurants are all right. If you are used to living in a big cosmopolitan city you will notice the step down. Pubs are welcoming.

4. I find Malahide very traffic congested. It is big and sprawling, spoliled by lax planning over the last ten years. I am sure Skerries would have been the same had it not been for the sea on one side and the railway on the other restricting development. I'd say Malahide is more cosmopolitan and has better restaurants but I do not get the same feeling of being outside of Dublin as I get in Skerries. Loughshinny is a beautiful area but lacks shops, playground etc. If you want to do anything in Loughshinny you have to get into your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

Thanks everyone...

I was over in the Dublin area last week to get ready for the new job and to look for a house. Visited Skerries and loved it...exactly what we were looking for. Found a great house to let, and the deal is done!

So say hello to the new Canadians in town when you meet them!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Welcome to Skerries \o/

• Advertisement

So say hello to the new Canadians in town when you meet them!
    G'day mate. :D

Advertisement