Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving to Skerries

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Fáilte!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=news-qqqid=35929-qqqx=1.asp

Back on the agenda...
    Moriarty planning €30m development in Skerries
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 By Ian Kehoe and Gavin Daly
    Businessman and former Fianna Fáil election candidate Luke Moriarty plans to build a €30 million ‘‘neighbourhood centre’’ in Skerries in north Co Dublin.

The development in the centre of the town will consist of a SuperValu supermarket, 15 other shops, 67 apartments and an underground car park with 400 spaces. Moriarty, whose interests include supermarkets and hotels, applied for planning permission for the project last week.

He said he hoped to secure planning permission within the next six to nine months, while the building process would take a further 18 months. ‘‘The total investment will be between €25 million and €30 million,” Moriarty said.

Moriarty already operates a supermarket on part of the site for the proposed development and has acquired a number of adjoining properties. ‘‘We have been putting the site together for four to five years,” he said.

The centre will be anchored by a 13,000 square foot SuperValu outlet, and will also house two other large retailers and 13 smaller shop units.

Moriarty, who failed to win a seat in last year’s general election, also owns SuperValu supermarkets in Palmerstown, west Dublin, and in Balbriggan in north Dublin. He has just completed a €7.5 million refurbishment of the Palmerstown store and a €7 million extension of the Balbriggan development, which also includes more than 70 apartments.

The businessman also has two hotels – the Bracken Court in Balbriggan and the Courtyard in Leixlip, which stands on the site of a brewery once owned and run by Arthur Guinness. The Bracken Court reopened last week after a €7 million refit following a fire.

‘‘We were shut for 20 weeks, but we worked day and night to get it back open,” said Moriarty. He said he was interesting in acquiring other supermarkets or hotels if they came on the market. ‘‘We are open for business and keen to expand,” he said

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

Malahide & Howth > Skerries

In every single way

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

And a lot more expensive:)

Bluetonic - that looks pretty good for the town.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Bluetonic - that looks pretty good for the town.

Should be fun to see the amount of objectors.
    Demolish Nos 52, 53, 54A, 55, 56, 57A & 58 Church Street with the retention of the brick facade at No. 55 Church Street (situated in an Architectural Conservation Area) and to construct a mixed retail & residential development comprising a two-level under ground car park with 360 car spaces, 100 bicycle spaces, storage & plant with access from Tennis Court Lane; ground floor retail along with pedestrian mall, staff accommodation, ESB sub-station, plant & vehicle delivery area to Tennis Court Lane comprising 5106 square metres. The residential areas will comprise 2 floors of apartments over retail from No. 54 to 58 Church Street (3 stories in total) rising to 3 floors on the corner at 52-53 Church Street for a total of 4 stories; 2 floors of apartments to Church Street (lane) and Tennis Court Lane (south) (3 stories in total) rising to 4 stories at the south corner, and 3 floors of apartments on Tennis Court Lane (west) for a total of 4 stories. A first floor landscaped internal courtyard features a stand-alone residential block of 3 floors (a total of 4 stories). The residential component will comprise 66 apartments (15 one-beds, 44 two-beds and 7 three-beds). External finishes to elevations to be natural slate roofs to the apartments, all with self-coloured render, balconies, and feature areas of natural stone with limited areas of curtain wall glazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Should be fun to see the amount of objectors.
    Can't see that there'll be a significant number of people objecting. Most, if not all, of the houses to be demolished are already owned by Moriarty & are vacant. The only fly in the ointment may be access to Tennis Court Lane & the impact on the residents there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tuxa

There is another treat going about supervalue developement.
    please go to :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57662081

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 emmao

hi,

I was wondering if you moved to skerries at all?
    myself & my husband have been thinking of moving out of the city and like you, want to live by the sea.we have been looking at howth and malahide, however cant seem to get a large enough house/garden.
    we now have turned our attention to skerries and have all the same questions as you did last year.
    if you did move there, how do you like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Are you looking to rent or buy? My husband and I are looking to move away. We have a house with good sized garden which hopefully we will be renting before the end of the year.

Maybe we can do a deal! :)

emmao wrote: »
    we have been looking at howth and malahide, however cant seem to get a large enough house/garden.
    Maybe this might suit in the Howth area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Dont know why anyone would want to live in either Howth or Malahide.

I think Rush, Lusk, Skerries and Balbriggan have as much to offer if not more than either Malahide or Howth.

We just dont have the snobbery, well not as much.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

emmao wrote: »
    hi,

I was wondering if you moved to skerries at all?
    myself & my husband have been thinking of moving out of the city and like you, want to live by the sea.we have been looking at howth and malahide, however cant seem to get a large enough house/garden.
    we now have turned our attention to skerries and have all the same questions as you did last year.
    if you did move there, how do you like it?

Sorry about the late reply....was on holidays in canada.

Yes, we did move to Skerries and absolutely love it. Friendly town, good restaurants (most of them), great pubs, great people, easy commute (by train, don't think of driving to city centre), great beach and natural areas. I know Howth and Malahide fairly well by now and as much as I'd also like to live there, we made the right decision to move to Skerries.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

LeoB wrote: »
    Dont know why anyone would want to live in either Howth or Malahide.

I think Rush, Lusk, Skerries and Balbriggan have as much to offer if not more than either Malahide or Howth.

We just dont have the snobbery, well not as much.;)

Because they are beautiful places and on the Dart line.
    I would pick either over Lusk ,Skerries and Balbriggan any day.
    I spent a lot of my growing up years in Sutton and currently live in Balbriggan, and it just can not compare,though it does have a lot more amenities then Sutton.

hoser expat - glad to hear you are enjoying Skerries:)

Advertisement