Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decaf

Options
  • 04-06-2008 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Do any of you drink decaf coffee? I'm finding myself gasping for a coffee late at night, but I'm intollerant of caffeine so I restrain myself (for the most part). Probably going to order some green beans from hasbean in the next few days and I see they have a decaf green bean.

Also, I presume decaf is not really decaf at all? Just "low caf".

Oh, and would they use a decaffination procedure on them? (swiss water or what not) Or are there some beans that grow without caffeine in them? (possibly a stupid question)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Funnily enough I just ordered some Decaf espresso blend from hasbean the other day.

There's just too many times when its getting on in the evening that I think - yeah I'd love a coffee - but don't want to risk being awake till 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Nice one. Sure let me know what you think when it arrives. If I have a coffee after 6, I'm awake 'til 1 at the earliest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Personally I think decaf coffee is an oxymoron and really trying to get my head around
    decaf esspresso is giving me a headache.

I have never found a so called decaf coffee that I would consider to be close to drinking coffee at all in flavour. Even a starbucks heavily loaded capachino with hazelnut syrup and toppedwith cinamon still tastes different and wrong if it's decaf.

Depends on the decaffeination process.

But consider this: decaffeination is an expensive process. It adds to the price of the beans. If you spend the same on decaf as you do on regular coffee you are buying cheaper beans. Cheaper beans = tasting like crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I can not and do not drink defcaf but just wanted to share some info I found
    online some time back - the swiss water method of producing decaf removes
    the chaff from the beans which means their roasting profile differs from regular
    beans. The lower amount of chaff produced means that the temperatures are
    lower during a roast.

I've heard people roasting decaf in an i-roast often leave some of the chaff
    from a previous regular roast in the chaff collector.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

I agree with you, Thaedydal - I used to buy fresh roasted decaf espresso beans so I could cater for the occasional customer who would ask for it. (tbh these were so few and far between I gave up in the end - it was just a waste of money.)

I tried a variety of decaf blends at different prices, but nothing I experimented with ever tasted as good as proper espresso. There was always that sense of 'something missing'. I would reckon I could spot the decaf no problem in a blind trial. Hey, that would be an interesting one to try sometime.

rockbeer wrote: »
    There was always that sense of 'something missing'. I would reckon I could spot the decaf no problem in a blind trial. Hey, that would be an interesting one to try sometime.

Having just tried the hasbean decaf espresso blend - I would agree with this. It looked like espresso, kinda smelt like espresso, kinda tasted like espresso. But there was a sense of body missing.

I'd say it would be fine as part of a cappa or latté though. Useful to have around.

That'll do methinks. Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Just on the drinling coffee in the late evening:

I found lately that drinking coffee in the evening doesn't seem to affect my sleep, I still zonk it. It used to keep me up but hasn't of late, anyone else similar?

I think you get accustomed to it. My overall caffeine level dropped a bit over the last few months and I became more sensitive to it.

• Advertisement

tonight's decaf latte.

It used to keep me up but hasn't of late, anyone else similar?

I'm less sensitive than I used to be, but still wouldn't risk a late night one tbh. I'm absolutely _gasping_ for a cup after smelling all the smells that the new grinder has to offer but wont have one 'cos I know I'd be up 'til all hours.

Khannie wrote: »
    I'm less sensitive than I used to be, but still wouldn't risk a late night one tbh. I'm absolutely _gasping_ for a cup after smelling all the smells that the new grinder has to offer but wont have one 'cos I know I'd be up 'til all hours.
    sometimes there are more important things than sleep :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    sometimes there are more important things than sleep :)

QFT; though I won't be brewing just now :-)

I didn't even get a chance to test this morning. Woe is me! Work has a fairly reasonable Jura automatic machine though. Totally gasping now. *gasp*

On the plus side....I did sleep well. ;)

Advertisement