Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slap on the back

• 04-06-2008 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi guys
    I really need a slap on the back from fellow phobics. As some of you may have read I had to give up my job in April because I was suffering from panic attacks on my daily commute. They came out of no-where and now I am terrified of everything like this including taking flights for holidays. I had a job interview this morning closer to my house which would enable me to walk to work. I went in and it was like some sort of broom closet with the shutters down outside. It was really dark and all I could think of when the guy was talking was that the shutters were down outside and in my head I was panicking. It was really difficult to take in all he was saying I was so freaked out. The thing is I'm really proud of myself that I sat through the fear trying not to let it show. For anyone else that I could tell, they would be like 'so what' but I know you guys understand how hard it is not to burst out the door when you feel like that. So I think I deserve a slap on the back and I really really want this job to get back on my feet! Thanks for reading. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Good job nudge! It is so hard to face our deepest fears but you seem to be really determined to learn how to cope with them and even the smallest of steps is a big deal in situations like this.

Well done. Don't stop trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 nudge

Thanks LadyJ. It's really nice to get the support :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Well done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 nudge

Thanks The-Rigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

nudge wrote: »
    Hi guys
    I really need a slap on the back from fellow phobics. As some of you may have read I had to give up my job in April because I was suffering from panic attacks on my daily commute. They came out of no-where and now I am terrified of everything like this including taking flights for holidays. I had a job interview this morning closer to my house which would enable me to walk to work. I went in and it was like some sort of broom closet with the shutters down outside. It was really dark and all I could think of when the guy was talking was that the shutters were down outside and in my head I was panicking. It was really difficult to take in all he was saying I was so freaked out. The thing is I'm really proud of myself that I sat through the fear trying not to let it show. For anyone else that I could tell, they would be like 'so what' but I know you guys understand how hard it is not to burst out the door when you feel like that. So I think I deserve a slap on the back and I really really want this job to get back on my feet! Thanks for reading. :)

Congratulations! Fair play to you not only for sitting through it but more so for moving on with your life. Too many people give in to the fear and let it take over, never leaving the house! My aunt did this for 18 years and has only recently started to go out. I am sure she regrets everything she missed, her kids weddings, christenings etc.

I know thats extreme, but i commend you for fighting back :)

And i hope you get the job!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Well done nudge.

Hope you get the job and you can work on going in, one day at a time. If you need anyone to talk to you know where we are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Banana_montana

Hi guys

Well done, seriously!
    All these lil steps have you on the way to a panic free life Im sure!
    Im an anxious panicky person at times... in situations that never did this to me before, and im gettin back on track cos I keep doing stuff.
    The WORST that cabn happen to you during a panick attack is you faint.

Now... not so bad right? They are very scarey... but hey, if that's the worst that comes out of it then its best to say feck this and DO it! So I'm very proud of you haha.

Also, when you feel panicked vreath in through your nose and out through your nose. ignore your mouth.
    When you find it hard to breathe its your throat that is tense, but its pretty impossible to panic when breathing through your nose. Handy lil tip my councillor gave me. She's one clever lady!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

Hi guys
    Well done and don't give up . People can change including you

• Registered Users Posts: 36 MollynOlly

Well done to ya, Nudge. You will get better and with every occasion you find a little challenging or fearful, you learn different skills to get yourself over them. And that's when you are moving on from them.

Advertisement