Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Following up after getting number

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

Just on the texting thing..should I leave it up to the guy to text first at the start?

Like I mean he said on Sunday he'd text me during the week, which he did on Sunday evening and Tuesday night. I was thinking I might text him tonight. Should I? Or Should I let him do most of it at the start?

I'm kinda out of practise :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

moco wrote: »
    Just on the texting thing..should I leave it up to the guy to text first at the start?

Like I mean he said on Sunday he'd text me during the week, which he did on Sunday evening and Tuesday night. I was thinking I might text him tonight. Should I? Or Should I let him do most of it at the start?

I would suggest you text them as and when you want to. I don't see the point in ever questioning "should i text them".....it's about whether you want to, or don't want to.

Why establish communication around some imaginary rules when anything that develops will then be based on something different?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Dragan wrote: »
    I would suggest you text them as and when you want to. I don't see the point in ever questioning "should i text them".....it's about whether you want to, or don't want to.

Why establish communication around some imaginary rules when anything that develops will then be based on something different?

I hate the idea of rules for this sort of thing, there are no rules, thankfully the EU has yet to regulate when and how often you text someone after getting their number

Didnt Hitch teach you guys anything? "Rule number 1: There are none"

Yea, I'm not talking about actual rules though. I'm not explaining myself very well!:o I'll just text him later and be done with it.

• Advertisement

Yea, I'm not talking about actual rules though. I'm not explaining myself very well!:o I'll just text him later and be done with it.
    Thats the ticket! When i get a text of a lass i like to think it's as simple as because she wanted to text me. Gives a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

¬_¬ Its been a week, f*cker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

Im glad it seems to be going well:). Well he's made the effort to text you, so Im sure that he'd appreciate a text from you. I know that you dont want to fall into the trap of being too eager, but you can tie yourself up in knots if you keep score track of who texted who last.

Enjoy:).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

No, you should text him back and don't play games.
    Yes you should, what people mean by saying there are no rules, there is no "the guy should..." there is no "wait x number of days/hours/minutes".
    If you like the guy, if you wanna text him, then text him whenever you want to.

Guys if you get a girls number and you like her, text her that night with something simple like "Great night, hope you got home safe!" or something to that effect. Then call the next day if you're interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

I think a lot of men like to do the asking out and are not keen on women doing the chasing! Am I right or wrong on this?

Wrong. It should be a fifty/fifty thing. If ask a girl for her number I'll text her when we part company so she has mine, just something simple like 'enjoyed meeting you, you seem fun, talk to you soon', then the next day/night I'll follow it up, we have a chat etc... following that I expect them to initiate the next contact... if they do that then I'll call them and arrange to meet. If she doesnt text me after I've text her the first time I take it that shes not interested and leave it be. That would be a standard ol' interaction following a getting of numbers...

If I get someones number and send them the text after we part company then she texts me the next day/night before I text her I know shes actually into me and not just texting back because shes polite. Much preferable, now we both know were both into each other because I put myself out there to ask her for her number, and she risked not getting a reply from me by texting me first for a chat.

• Advertisement

"So, when are you going to ask me for my number?......because i know you want to."

It work on me. Gotta love confidence. :)

Dragan wrote: »
    Gotta love confidence. :)

dam right, makes attraction grow way quicker than any short skirt or low-cut top.

Unless theyre over confident. Then its just annoying.

Pen1987 wrote: »
    dam right, makes attraction grow way quicker than any short skirt or low-cut top.

Unless theyre over confident. Then its just annoying.

Yea negative on the lovin themselves and knowing how hot they are.....

Confidence is very sexy though. Same way women love confidence and hate arrogance in a man I think lads feel the same. Nothing worse than the 10 who knows it and acts like her sh1t doesnt stink.... i HATE girls like that.

SheRa wrote: »
    Im glad it seems to be going well:). Well he's made the effort to text you, so Im sure that he'd appreciate a text from you. I know that you dont want to fall into the trap of being too eager, but you can tie yourself up in knots if you keep score track of who texted who last.

Enjoy:).

Thanks, yea going very well so far, he's lovely.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

(: text teh wimminz...asap! Rulez ftl.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Rozabeez wrote: »
    (: text teh wimminz...asap! Rulez ftl.

Totally agree. Game playing ftl..totally hate it.

Ok so I was out at the weekend with him and he said on Sunday he'd text me during the week. It's Wednesday now and I've heard nothing. :( Last week when he said he'd text during the week he did on the Tuesday.

Should I just presume he's not interested now or is there any way I could get away with texting him first without looking desperate??:o

jus text him. As far as I can see you havent started a text convo with him yet, hes probably wondering if youre interested in him by now seen as hes had to do all the work text-wise so far.

Pen1987 wrote: »
    jus text him. As far as I can see you havent started a text convo with him yet, hes probably wondering if youre interested in him by now seen as hes had to do all the work text-wise so far.

That's because he said he'd text me though!! I don't want to look like a desperado by not waiting for him to text when he said he would.

It's making me feel like he's not interested.

Plus I did text him last Thursday and didn't get a reply til the next morning cos he was asleep. It was torture waiting all evening for a text that never came!

If you said you'd text someone but they texted you first would you not think they were a bit pushy or something?

God I hate all this crap.:(

That's because he said he'd text me though!! I don't want to look like a desperado by not waiting for him to text when he said he would.

It's making me feel like he's not interested.

Plus I did text him last Thursday and didn't get a reply til the next morning cos he was asleep. It was torture waiting all evening for a text that never came!

If you said you'd text someone but they texted you first would you not think they were a bit pushy or something?

God I hate all this crap.:(

I think maybe your over analysising this.

Would you be forward enough to say to him "are you interested or not becaus I feel like your kinda wasting my time"?

The last guy I was seeing, I fricken drove myself mad with this, he acted very keen when we were together, but he would never ever return my calls, or texts..it pissed me off and I felt like I was constantly waiting around for him. It was fricken torture. When he'd say he call, he never would and it made me feel like ****. I kept it going as long as it did because we did have a great time together..but it wasnt healthy at all the state I was in between dates (I sound like a loony but Im sure the girls know what I mean!).

Ask yourself, is he really worth the trouble or are you better cutting your loses?

If the former, ask him what the story is, if the latter: You know what to do :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭smoke

Hiya,
    No expert on this by any means but I'd say he's still trying not to look too pushy. Maybe wait until tomorrow then text if he hasn't?

Paul.

Yea, I probably am over analysising it, but I can't help it! He seems really keen when we're together and even when he does text but this waiting around drives me crazy. I'm quite stubborn and if he doesn't text when he says he will I'm tempted to just leave it because I don't want to text him, for him not to reply because then I'll be really embarrassed when I bump into him in town (which I will).

I might wait til tomorrow then give him a quick ring as that's instant..if he doesn't answer he doesn't - no waiting around. Then again, come tomorrow I know I'll be too chicken to ring. :confused:

But if he says he's gonna text - then he should!

Yea, I probably am over analysising it, but I can't help it! He seems really keen when we're together and even when he does text but this waiting around drives me crazy. I'm quite stubborn and if he doesn't text when he says he will I'm tempted to just leave it because I don't want to text him, for him not to reply because then I'll be really embarrassed when I bump into him in town (which I will).

I might wait til tomorrow then give him a quick ring as that's instant..if he doesn't answer he doesn't - no waiting around. Then again, come tomorrow I know I'll be too chicken to ring. :confused:

Good plan - but you'll only b upsetting yourself if you dont. You deserve to know where you stand.

LadyE wrote: »
    But if he says he's gonna text - then he should!

I know:(

I might just throw my phone in the river.

I might just throw my phone in the river.

Then you'll never kow if he texted!

Bit the bullet and do it yourself..if you havent had contact all week then you wont come across as needy or anything!

Then you'll never kow if he texted!

Bit the bullet and do it yourself..if you havent had contact all week then you wont come across as needy or anything!

Agreed

Good plan - but you'll only b upsetting yourself if you dont. You deserve to know where you stand.

You seem like a very genuine person. You should ring him tomorrow if you've heard nothing, and be confident! You've every right to be in confident in this situation!

• Advertisement

smoke wrote: »
    You seem like a very genuine person. You should ring him tomorrow if you've heard nothing, and be confident! You've every right to be in confident in this situation!

QFT :)

Advertisement