Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeopathy

Options
  • 04-06-2008 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    My psychologist has recommended I go to a homeopathist.

How much does it cost and what are peoples experience.

I have been depressed for a few years and have a type 4 personality.

Currently one of the main issues I've been recommended to see the homeopathist is because I am having alot of problems grounding myself and focusing and concentrating. My mind drifts alot and I tend to fantastize.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

I'm very sorry to hear you're not well, however homeopathy is not the solution (IMHO).

Homeopathy is not a proven treatment. See here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy#Medical_and_scientific_analysis
    It's an "alternative" medicine - if it worked and was fully tested, it wouldn't be called "alternative" ... it would just be medicine.

My advice is read a bit about how homeopathy claims it works and then ask your psychologist why he/she recommended it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

I'm very sorry to hear you're not well, however homeopathy is not the solution (IMHO).

Homeopathy is not a proven treatment. See here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy#Medical_and_scientific_analysis
    It's an "alternative" medicine - if it worked and was fully tested, it wouldn't be called "alternative" ... it would just be medicine.

My advice is read a bit about how homeopathy claims it works and then ask your psychologist why he/she recommended it.

Ah I'm going to give it a go anyway. There's alot of stuff in this world we can't prove or don't know a whole lot about.

How could something become popular and last if it's only placebo?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I tried it years ago (8-10 years ago) as a last resort treatment and it's nothing but a complete joke. I would advise you not to waste your time or money on it.

I know a few people that have tried it and feel exactly the same. I've yet to meet anyone that it has really helped, but they must be out there somewhere otherwise it wouldn't be so popular I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

How could something become popular and last if it's only placebo?

Because as a placebo it rarely has side effects

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Maybe its me but I find it strange that your psychologist is suggesting homeopathy, does he/she also use ennegrames?

I have doubts about homeopathy a mate of mine in work trained as one, but with saying that I'm an athlete and use arnica for DOMS, but I'm not sure about its use in mental health. Generally I think you talking about 40-80 euro a session, a bit like therapy the fee varies from person to person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Odysseus wrote: »
    Maybe its me but I find it strange that your psychologist is suggesting homeopathy, does he/she also use ennegrames?

I have doubts about homeopathy a mate of mine in work trained as one, but with saying that I'm an athlete and use arnica for DOMS, but I'm not sure about its use in mental health. Generally I think you talking about 40-80 euro a session, a bit like therapy the fee varies from person to person.

Unless you're using a homeopathic remedy of arnica it does have actual scientific effects, certain species of arnica contain helenalin, which is an anti-inflammatory. So yay herbs, nay homoeopathy in my opinion :)

Advertisement