Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Progressing on from trot

• 04-06-2008 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭

Not that there's many newbies here but sure I'll continue with my updates anyway.

I decided to get in an extra lesson last weekend. It was with a different instructor so I ended up doing different things. Worked out really well.

After a walk/trot warm-up and some trotting poles I caught her in the corner of my eye lifting up one end of the pole. She only lifted up the one and this is what I now know as a cavaletti pole. I did 1, 2 and then 3 poles. This was good practice for what turned out to be my first jump.

Woo hoo for me, she trotted over the first but second time round she jumped over. I nearly fell off the next time as the instructor whipped her. Great fun though, enjoying it while I can.

Last night, back to the first instructor and back to ground work. I'm getting good at the cantering, was flying round the arena last night in a SEATED position......last time I was standing to feel the horses rhythm......

C'est tout....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

C'est bien....

I don't know if you want advice but i think your doing nifty so far whyner keep it up!! Wait till you get out in the country in sunshine for your first gallop!! That's when the bug really bites!!

Man it makes my heart happy seeing (well reading in your case) someone learning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭ell

You sound like your having lots of fun, not 100% sure about the instructor whipping your horse part ....... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Cheers togster

Ell - I'm not sure she whipped her, do they sometime "show" it to the horse when they're coming up the jump??

Why not anyway, don't you whip your horse sometimes?

She probably gave the horse a tip to get him over the jump so he wouldn't stop and put you over his ears.

Slapping a horse with a whip is a delicate operation and should only be done by someone experienced.

At the weekend i had a nappy b!tch of a mare who wouldn't go out of the yard. She would stand on her bag to legs and spin around and take off. She got a savage goin over with a stick. But it wasn't just abuse for the sake of abuse it was well timed smacks between the ears when she went up and one either side on the arse when she went to spin around. She trotted out the road 5 minutes later and came back much looser and happier than she was.

So yes whyner there will be times when you will need to use some force but it's all about timing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Congratulation on your lesson, sounds like you are having fun and are a quick learner. If you just keep the horse going at a nice active pace towards the jumps he should have no trouble popping them. It just sometimes if you have him going a bit slack he hasn't got enough impulsion to jump them. Good luck :)
    She got a savage goin over with a stick.
    what brilliant horsemanship. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

togster wrote: »
    Slapping a horse with a whip is a delicate operation and should only be done by someone experienced.

But *NOT* with a learner rider on board...sheesh!

That's an accident waiting to happen! :eek:

kerrysgold wrote: »
    what brilliant horsemanship. :rolleyes:

Why thank you, KG i am getting sick of your attitude on this forum. You drag eveything off topic with snide remarks and hippy attitudes. I wrote that post in a hurry and i didn't beat the horse badly. It was done with a wide whip and as you seem to have forgotten i said she has since been a happier horse because of it. It does take skill to use force on a horse and if every person adopted the softly attitude that i no doubt you preah we would have a lot of dangerous horses around. I would never beat a horse just for the sake of it. Im done helping you with your ridiculous threads. Buy a horse and when you can break and compete horses to international level come back and talk to me. Mods sorry if this is OT.

KG get a horse and then we can talk.

First off, as a person who has never rode and probably wont for the forseeable future, I do have to say that the more I browse through these posts the more I want to! It sounds like a great sport especially the part about the sunshine gallop...

But apart from that, I have to agree fully with a comment made by togster...Too much in my life, I have had to deal with people who act in the exact same way and while I don't know much, if anything. about horses, I can really see someone who knows what they are talking about. And if I had to ask a question about horses, I think I know who I would pm...That is why I just have to say, well done to togster for that comment for standing up for yourself and in turn for this board...not only does it make for good reading but it also makes me more inclined to take up the sport...

Advertisement