Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP - Vista Networking (Again, Sorry)

Options
  • 04-06-2008 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Ok maybe I’m a complete idiot but I can’t seem to get my network back up and running. I had two XP machines previously networked, file/printer sharing and broadband all working fine. However a flatmate and myself upgraded to new Vista machines and gave away the old XP machines.

Again no problem, I got the two new machines together having a great time sharing files, printers, broadband and getting alone famously!

Anyway, the problems started when another flatmate wanted to get into this orgy of file sharing and tomfoolery with his really slow XP SP3 machine!

Both the Vista machines can access the XP’s shared files and the XP machine can see Both the Vistas but cannot access their files or access the printer
    I changed his work group to match ours, set the file permissions on the two vista machines to allow access but I have no idea where I’m going wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

Again sorry, I know there’s a few of these requests going around and I did have a look through them as well as Microsoft’s own help pages but I just couldn’t figure it out.
    And I’m sure ye all can appreciate the fact that I can’t let this beat me!
    Cheers everyone,
    D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55160890&postcount=2

Give a read of the PDF attached to the post in the link above and see if it helps you fix your problems. I'm pretty sure I included a section on getting XP and Vista working together file & print sharing wise or at least alluded to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

Cheers rmacm, i'll give it a look

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭randombar

Basically you have to call the workgroup in the XP machine WORKGROUP, then YOU'RE LAUGHING :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Basically you have to call the workgroup in the XP machine WORKGROUP, then YOU'RE LAUGHING :D

That's not entirely all there is to it, but it does help. Btw OP it's generally helpful to include more information in your posts other than "it's not working". Error messages and such can be helpful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement