Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New provisional law

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Not necessarily. I've been in the car with him a few times and it would frighten you. Now that he has passed his test he has more or less forgotten any of the correct procedure he had learned. It;s impossible to have experience driving without actually driving. There's only so much u can read in a book.

So you are one of the many provisionally licensed drivers who thinks you are a better driver than a licensed one, despite not having passed your test?

Hmmm, some logic there, I think the leaving cert stress is getting to a few posters tonight.

Your mate is better driver than you if he has passed and you haven't.

Sounds like you are a bit miffed that you still have the test in front of you and he hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Not necessarily. I've been in the car with him a few times and it would frighten you. Now that he has passed his test he has more or less forgotten any of the correct procedure he had learned. It;s impossible to have experience driving without actually driving. There's only so much u can read in a book.
    So what,do you think that everybody who passes their tests continue's to drive that way for the rest of your life?!....I'm going to presume you said no to that..cause if you didn't then I think you'll need to pipe down! Fact is people have to past they're tests,if they don't it's there own problem,deal with it...apply again and try to improve!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I think it's a load of **** this six month waiting list. I know a fella that has waited the six months, rarely bloody drives and passed his test. So now he is an in experienced driver on the irish roads. A load of ****.
    Before passing my test, I didnt own a car, didnt learn in anything other than an official driving instructers car and passed my test in the same car, first time. Freedom:cool:
    I did all that in about 5 weeks.

I had a very good instructer, took lessons every second day and picked up NO bad habits.
    Other friends and relations of mine "learned" the Oirish way and took years to pass.

Like with anything you can learn properly and go on to become a decent driver or do the half-assed method and become your average clueless driver you see every day on our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sk8board wrote: »
    flaunt this law and pay the €80 fine
    €1,000 for the 1st offence,

€2,000 for the 2nd,

Presumably it's a disqualification after that(?).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

kmart6 wrote: »
    So what,do you think that everybody who passes their tests continue's to drive that way for the rest of your life?!....I'm going to presume you said no to that..cause if you didn't then I think you'll need to pipe down! Fact is people have to past they're tests,if they don't it's there own problem,deal with it...apply again and try to improve!

The whole point of the driving test is for people who can drive proparly, it's not just for people who can drive proparly for 30 mins and then drive like **** for the rest of their time. Where's the logic in the driving test then?

I think it should be spread out. As in u do certain amount of driving with an instructor over a period of a few months. This shows that there is consistency in ur good driving, not just being able to drive well for 30 mins and that's that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Jesus, as some have posted here is not a right its a priviledge(sp).
    I'm driving 4+ years. For the first year I know I was a twat on the roads and I will hold my hands up to that. After 2 years I got a test date, failed. Applied again and didn't change a thing and failed again. I put my head down learned everything from scratch and today I passed my test, the tester even went on to say how good of a driver I am.
    I done my test in a place that I had only passed twice in my life and never drove around it, it was really unfamiliar to me and the way I saw it was that I was ready for the test so I didn't need to know the roads.

When I passed I still drove the same way I did during the test. The exact same was I have been driving for the last 2 years and the way I will continue to drive.

As for the lad that thinks he has a right to drive because he needs a car to get to school........ are you serious?? Why not get a bus, or even walk?? How did you get to school before now and you know what the law is yet you still want to break it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Right I am sick and tired of listening to people moaning about "all these new laws coming in".

1. This has already been discussed ad nauseum in Learning To Drive.

2. You were told in OCTOBER that the law for SECOND provisional licence holders would be changing in JUNE. So you had more than enough time to pass your test.

3. "My mam/dad/sister/dog can't accompany they are only on a provisional-well they should get a test so.

4.. I am especially sick of people who have been floating from one provisional to the next, have left it to the last minute (i.e. now) to even think of taking the thumb out and applying for a test, and say "it's ridiculous how am i meant to have a licence before all these new laws come in before end of June" etc. If you are driving years you should have done your test by now and if you fail then 50kph around a housing estate is obviously a little difficult for you so you should not be in the road on your own until you have passed your test.

I passed my test 1st time a week ago after only driving 6 months so blaming the government etc doesnt wash with me- rubbish like "well the waiting times are too long"- they will be even longer for you if you haven't even applied yet. Waiting times are now down to an average of 8.2 weeks. Get your facts right before moaning about "eh the waiting times are like a year".

The Irish driving test is NOT hard- apart from the turnaround (the daredevil stunt driving manouever that it is) there is nothing in it that you wouldn't have to do if you were reversing out of your driveway to go to the local shop. All the hand signal you should already know from the Rukes of the Road, the under the bonnet checks are easy. Even reversing around the corner is easy- it is no different to reversing into a parking space. It is actually easier cos you don't have to worry about hitting the cars on either side of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

That's basically what has happened with the driving tests since they've been in place! I passed my test first time handy,doing everything the way your supposed to,don't do any of that now cause ....does that make me any less of a driver?!....No,cause i can still drive with care and consideration for others on the road!

The whole point of the driving test is for people who can drive proparly, it's not just for people who can drive proparly for 30 mins and then drive like **** for the rest of their time. Where's the logic in the driving test then?

I think it should be spread out. As in u do certain amount of driving with an instructor over a period of a few months. This shows that there is consistency in ur good driving, not just being able to drive well for 30 mins and that's that.

So rather than taking the approach Wil suggested and learning how to drive properly by taking lessons from an instructor, you'd like to see the whole driving test system overhauled to your standards.

Get a grip, stop whinging and come back when you can drive properly.

Victor_M wrote: »
    So rather than taking the approach Wil suggested and learning how to drive properly by taking lessons from an instructor, you'd like to see the whole driving test system overhauled to your standards.

Get a grip, stop whinging and come back when you can drive properly.

How can i prove that i can drive proparly when i have to wait 6 months?

• Advertisement

The way I did it was by PASSING MY TEST.

By applying for the test 6 months ago and taking it this week!

Now run along, get an application form send it in, wait the 8.2 weeks and let us know how you got on in the test when you are done althoug I suspect with your superior driving skills you may have to re-apply after you fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This is just going to go around and around in circles. It's the law, and it's a step in the right direction for the Driving test. The only way you can prove yourself is like everyone else on a Learners Permit at the moment, learn during your 6 months and apply for your test, and if you're lucky you can sit the test the day your 6 months ends.

By applying for the test 6 months ago and taking it this week!

Now run along, get an application form send it in, wait the 8.2 weeks and let us know how you got on in the test when you are done althoug I suspect with your superior driving skills you may have to re-apply after you fail.

Some one obviously is getting all hot and bothered. My application form was sent the morning of my 17th. I love the person who can judge a persons driving abilities by their comments on some1 elses driving. If some1 calls some1 ugly etc. it doesn't mean that they feel they are the most beautiful person on earth. I'm sorry now for my inability to argue with some1 through a computer but if it helps to sleep better.

Some one obviously is getting all hot and bothered.
    You asked a stupid question and were lucky to get some intelligent answers. It is unfortunate that they don't suit you.
    My application form was sent the morning of my 17th.

Which was....?

I
    I'm sorry now for my inability to argue with some1 through a computer but if it helps to sleep better.

Hopefully it will help you to drive better too, then you might pass your test!!! :rolleyes:

You asked a stupid question and were lucky to get some intelligent answers. It is unfortunate that they don't suit you.

Can i ask u one thing for u to answer honestly?

If u needed ur full licence for ur job and ur six months wasn't up for another few months, would you be happy? I sincerely think not. I'm not asking u to tell me "oh it's the law" or anything i'm just asking u would u be happy?

The first post i posted in this thread was a rant indicated by *rant over*, i just needed to get it off my chest, although i didn't think the boardsies would take it this seriously. I need my full licence for work and i need it a.s.a.p. I know i have to wait another month and there's nothing i can do about it, but i feel that i have the right to post my anger for the 6 month law on the correct thread. I'll admit, i don't know how this 6 month thing is working, improving standards etc, but i'm just angered that i can't have this test thing over and done with and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 chris11

I wasnt moaning in my previous posts ,i was genuinely looking for info about the law and what I should do.If I get insured tomorrow can I apply for my test straight away?

chris11 wrote: »
    I wasnt moaning in my previous posts ,i was genuinely looking for info about the law and what I should do.If I get insured tomorrow can I apply for my test straight away?

If that was aimed at me, i said my first post, not urs lol:o

Nah man it wasn't aimed at you!

Yes, once you have a provisional you can apply for the test.

• Advertisement

Nah man it wasn't aimed at you!

Ha grand:D

U don't need to be insured. Once u have ur learners permit u can apply straight away.

U don't need to be insured. Once u have ur learners permit u can apply straight away.

Grand,what's the difference between a learners permit and a provisional?

If u needed ur full licence for ur job and ur six months wasn't up for another few months, would you be happy? I sincerely think not. I'm not asking u to tell me "oh it's the law" or anything i'm just asking u would u be happy?

The first post i posted in this thread was a rant indicated by *rant over*, i just needed to get it off my chest, although i didn't think the boardsies would take it this seriously. I need my full licence for work and i need it a.s.a.p. I know i have to wait another month and there's nothing i can do about it, but i feel that i have the right to post my anger for the 6 month law on the correct thread. I'll admit, i don't know how this 6 month thing is working, improving standards etc, but i'm just angered that i can't have this test thing over and done with and move on.

Years ago I took a job that required a full license, I told a porky as I had my test coming in 2 days of the interview, and was full of my own driving abilities that I'd pass, I got the job but failed the test, I needed a car to get me to work, but I couldn't drive, so what did I do? I had to get the first bus into town and a bus from town to walkinstown for 8am every morning for 4 months until my second test came around, you can be damn sure I passed it second time.
    Moral is don't put your self in a position where you rely on driving yourself unless you are fully licensed to do so.

Grand,what's the difference between a learners permit and a provisional?

The provisional licence(which has been discontinued0 and replaced by the permit. They are they exact same thing, (looks). The main difference is if u have a provisional licence u can apply and do ur test as soon as u want. With the permit u have to wait a mandatory six months

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Can I ask you this in response:

If you needed a car to get to work and couldn't afford one because you had to save up the cash for 6 months, would you steal one?

In both cases you'd be breaking the law.

It's not as if this was announced yesterday FFS.

Years ago I took a job that required a full license, I told a porky as I had my test coming in 2 days of the interview, and was full of my own driving abilities that I'd pass, I got the job but failed the test, I needed a car to get me to work, but I couldn't drive, so what did I do? I had to get the first bus into town and a bus from town to walkinstown for 8am every morning for 4 months until my second test came around, you can be damn sure I passed it second time.
    Moral is don't put your self in a position where you rely on driving yourself unless you are fully licensed to do so.

I never said i rely on my licence. I could cycle to work quicker than i'd drive, just it's not feasable because of my suit. Also i don't NEED my licence as such, i've been working there since i was just 16, and have been driving cars since(not on the road obviously). A full licence would entitle me to get garage insurance and give me more oppurtunities in work.

stevec wrote: »
    Can I ask you this in response:

If you needed a car to get to work and couldn't afford one because you had to save up the cash for 6 months, would you steal one?

In both cases you'd be breaking the law.

It's not as if this was announced yesterday FFS.

I know, if u don't mind readin the rest of that post u'll see that i know it wasn't annonced yesterday, as the saying goes u don't miss anything till it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hanley wrote: »
    That's ridiculous. You can't just "go pass your test". There's still ridiculously long waiting lists. If they want this system to work, and for it to be fair, you have to be able to sit a test with minimal waiting times.
    Well, "to be fair", ye still have to wait 6 months after you get your provional before you can sit the test...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I know, if u don't mind readin the rest of that post u'll see that i know it wasn't annonced yesterday, as the saying goes u don't miss anything till it's gone.

I wasn't having a go at you in particular (sorry if it seemed like that:)), I'm just flabbergasted at the abount of whinging in this thread by people who have obviously had a 'shure it'll be grand' attitude and are now shitting themselves because finally the law is going to be enforced.

Similarl recent threads here with people whinging about non VRT'd cars being taken, I would guess that when they start clamping down on the child seat laws, we'll have the same all over again.

Advertisement