Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Can't choose between Born to Run and Nebraska

Track?
    Probably Thunder Road, but lord knows there's competition

Reason to Believe
    Rosalita
    Nebraska
    Brillant Disguise
    Born to Run

and so on...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

"Darkness on the Edge of Town" is far and away my favourite album. It's quite sombre and I think as an album it's edgier than "Born to Run", and more refined. My favourite Bruce song is, and will always be, Atlantic City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not really a fan (as in I haven't heard a lot of his albums), but I love Nebraska.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Album - Darkness
    Track - Sandy (from Greeting)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Huge fan, much like Dylan or Young, his body of work is diverse enough to allow you have different favourites at different times. When I was unemployed, Darkness was my favourite, when I was living it up in the US for the summer, Lucky Town was my favourite, now I'm a working slave, Born to Run comes out on top.

Darkness is the perfect album for being unemployed during a dark Irish winter, drawing the line between bleakness and honesty, whereas the more upbeat Lucky Town is great for a long hot feel good summer.

Now it's all about "you work 9 to 5 and somehow you survive to the night" and Born to Run generally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

don't know all his music but i love born to run

• Registered Users Posts: 27 fairynuff

Jersey Girl (with Tom Waits) ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Favourite album is Nebraska. Favourite track is very very difficult but in the end I would have to go for The E-Street Shuffle. But like I said, it's really not easy splitting tracks with the Boss.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Tunnel of Love. Accessble and evocative even to europeans. I find with some of his stuff that it is so routed in america that it can feel irrelevent to me personally. Not a criticism on the good,good man. More of a reflection on the cultural chasim that I don't feel he crosses. Not that he (rightly) gives a flying feck.

I have to say, I used to be fairly down on Born in the USA as an album, but seeing the reaction to those songs (Darlington County, Glory Days, Dancing in the Dark) over three nights in the RDS was quite something.

That said, that version of Reason to Believe was fantastic :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

My choices would be:

Lost in the Flood (Greetings from Asbury Park)
    The Promise (Tracks)
    Murder Incorporated (Live in NYC)
    Trouble River (Tracks)
    Candys Room (Darkness on the edge of town)
    Jungleland (Born to Run)
    Born in the USA
    The River
    Atlantic City (Nebraska)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

TelePaul wrote: »
    "Darkness on the Edge of Town" is far and away my favourite album. It's quite sombre and I think as an album it's edgier than "Born to Run", and more refined. My favourite Bruce song is, and will always be, Atlantic City.

Agree totally with your choices, though 'Nebraska' is not far behind 'Darkness'.

The 'Live in Dublin' version of 'Atlantic City' is amazing too.

Agree totally with your choices, though 'Nebraska' is not far behind 'Darkness'.

The 'Live in Dublin' version of 'Atlantic City' is amazing too.

+1 Atlantic City rocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

'Jungleland' is a fabulous song. The last verse always gives me shivers up my spine! Its not as 'obvious' as the likes of Born to Run and Thunder Road, which are great, but I would definitely put it in my top 5!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Favourite song would have to be The Promise, probably couldn't be a more prototypical "springsteen" story if it tried, but then again thats probably why I like it.

Favourite album is probably ghost of tom joad followed by darkness on the edge of town. I generally find myself listening to recordings of live performances when it comes to bruce though, I find they tend to bring his songs to a different level of emotion and energy.

yeah he is amazing live, takes it to a totally different level

Atlantic City makes me think about an ex, which is terrible, because she's a heartless bitch. Oh well.

What I'm really only starting to appreciate about Bruce is his ability to switch between a variety of genres, a lá Neil Young. Like Nebraska before it, the Seeger Sessions showed what a diverse artist Bruce really can be. His live shows epitomise this.

There needs to be a campaign of some sorts to add "Springsteenian" to the dictionary.

Adjective: Possessing or attempting to emulate the qualities of the work of Bruce Springsteen
    e.g. the last Killers album attempted a Springsteenian tone, but failed :p

Driver 8 wrote: »
    There needs to be a campaign of some sorts to add "Springsteenian" to the dictionary.

Adjective: Possessing or attempting to emulate the qualities of the work of Bruce Springsteen
    e.g. the last Killers album attempted a Springsteenian tone, but failed :p

I never actually listened to that album but it was pretty much slated for that reason. I'll stay well away.

sam's town is a great album, definite springsteen influence but it really is a stretch to claim that they were attempting to achieve a springsteenian tone.

i think the singer in the band mentioned in an interview that he listened to nebraska alot during the recordings, and after that, every review pretty much branded the album a springsteen rip-off. it is far from that, with some great tunes (most of which are very "un-springsteenian"!)

The most recent song that i heard on the radio that imediately make me think that it was an obvious attempt at a springsteen sound was david gray's "the one i love". Now that has a real springsteen vibe to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I love American Land

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    sam's town is a great album, definite springsteen influence but it really is a stretch to claim that they were attempting to achieve a springsteenian tone.

i think the singer in the band mentioned in an interview that he listened to nebraska alot during the recordings, and after that, every review pretty much branded the album a springsteen rip-off. it is far from that, with some great tunes (most of which are very "un-springsteenian"!)

The most recent song that i heard on the radio that imediately make me think that it was an obvious attempt at a springsteen sound was david gray's "the one i love". Now that has a real springsteen vibe to it.

Two other albums that i got that "Springsteenian" vibe off were portions of Arcade Fires Neon Bible and Hold Steadys Boys and Girls in America so the man does have a relevant influence even today

gustavo wrote: »
    Two other albums that i got that "Springsteenian" vibe off were portions of Arcade Fires Neon Bible and Hold Steadys Boys and Girls in America so the man does have a relevant influence even today

both quality albums along with sams town. they didnt try to sound like they were trying to emulate bruce merely pay homage to him, much like bob dylan did to the old bluesmen and folkies on his first few albums (and even his later ones come to think of it). thats rock and roll people: taking whats gone before and building on it.

'Ol wrote:
    both quality albums along with sams town. they didnt try to sound like they were trying to emulate bruce merely pay homage to him, much like bob dylan did to the old bluesmen and folkies on his first few albums (and even his later ones come to think of it). thats rock and roll people: taking whats gone before and building on it.

agreed, both albums definitely have nods to bruce, more strongly in neon bible i think, you could be forgiven for thinking bruce had written "keep the car running" to be honest. Boys and girls in america is a quality album, found it a bit limited thematically though. having said that, that's a criticism leveled at bruce a lot of the time so i guess that just adds to the similarities! it's more the songs' stories and the "social commentary" if you want to call it that (not sure i want to, really) in boys and girls of america that reminds me of bruce than the sound of the record.

Whereas i think there is a brucey sound to some of the arcade fire stuff (plus they seem to mention cars in there songs alot, obviously copying bruce!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Favourite Bruce album? Born To Run. It's not an album, it's an out and out labour of love, every track perfected down to the very roots. For that reason, I couldn't possibly pick my favourite track from it, they're all the greatest!

Favourite Springsteen track? Oddly enough, Girls In Their Summer Clothes. I think that having reached the maturity he has now it was a great acknowledgement of it to have this semi mournful yet also celebratory track of summers now and summers past. So much more than the "out and out pop song" most reviews described it as.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I don't think its been mention so far, but my fave Springsteen track would be Wreak on the Highway from The River. A classic imo:)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

kerash wrote: »
    I don't think its been mention so far, but my fave Springsteen track would be Wreak on the Highway from The River. A classic imo:)

Brilliant track, but I never felt it fit in with the rest of the album. More of a 'Nebraska' track imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 springsteen-ie

How about "Kitty's Back", "Incident on..." and either "Point Blank" or "The Price You Pay".
    (That's putting Thunder Road aside)

• Advertisement

lolz @ nipplenuts

Shes the one is good one too, like Lost in the Flood and I'm on Fire at the moment.

Advertisement