Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    agreed, both albums definitely have nods to bruce, more strongly in neon bible i think, you could be forgiven for thinking bruce had written "keep the car running" to be honest. Boys and girls in america is a quality album, found it a bit limited thematically though. having said that, that's a criticism leveled at bruce a lot of the time so i guess that just adds to the similarities! it's more the songs' stories and the "social commentary" if you want to call it that (not sure i want to, really) in boys and girls of america that reminds me of bruce than the sound of the record.

Whereas i think there is a brucey sound to some of the arcade fire stuff (plus they seem to mention cars in there songs alot, obviously copying bruce!)

And i thought it was just me that thought Keep The Car Running, Antichrist Television Blues, and Windowsill were more than a nod to Brucey!

Fave album would be Born In the USA, fave track Downtown Train

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I can't even make a shortlist of individual songs, but my favourite album is probably The Wild, the Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle. I admit this would not be a popular choice, but I don't think there's a dud track on it, and side two (Incident on 57th Street, Rosalita and New York City Serenade) is faultless.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I think the Springsteen album that I have listened to the most is Darkness on the Edge of Town but my favourite album of his changes a lot. I'm not sure if I can pick one single track but Downbound Train from Born in the USA always stood out for me for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭footballcrazy

I like his slow songs the most.These are my favourate songs/performances from You Tube. The man is incredible live.

So much passion! He is a genius.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PYPSZiE0OAs

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp-oDAxx8So

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OgbAtASU6D4

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=t6R77eGx8xM

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vTXQQd17RV4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Darkness is my favourite album but I've been listening to Born to run a lot recently (in the shower first thing in the morning). As for my favourite song, well nothing beats Racing in The Street.

'I got a 69 chevy with a 396..'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Loving this thread.
    I am basking in the warmth of fellow boardsies loving the Boss.

Thunder road just made the hair stand up on the back of my neck for the first time in about 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

Darkness is my favourite album but I've been listening to Born to run a lot recently (in the shower first thing in the morning). As for my favourite song, well nothing beats Racing in The Street.

I was delighted to hear this song on the Sunday night in the RDS. Really made my night! Always been my favourite, and it's feckin brilliant when live.

Bobby Jean was another highlight for me. Never saw him play the song live before, and I got a double helping of it this year, once in Dublin and again in Barcelona on the 20th July. Saw him 10 times now, and these 2 gigs I think were the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

And i thought it was just me that thought Keep The Car Running, Antichrist Television Blues, and Windowsill were more than a nod to Brucey!

Fave album would be Born In the USA, fave track Downtown Train

Is that the Rod Stewart version of Dowmbound Train? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

That'll be the Rod Stewart song that's a Tom Waits cover? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

You guys have seen this, right?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsukSiGcUng

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Santa Claus is coming to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭forfcksake

i heard off a mate the other day that there is rumours goin around that the Boss could be playin the Aviva the end of next summer anyone else hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

forfcksake wrote: »
    i heard off a mate the other day that there is rumours goin around that the Boss could be playin the Aviva the end of next summer anyone else hear this?

I've been browsing the boards on Backstreets.com and the feeling there is that if Bruce tours next year, it is likely to be solo or with a Seeger Sessions type of setup. (The feeling also is the next ESB tour will not be until at least 2012). If this is true, I can't see either happening at the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

forfcksake wrote: »

Believe it or not the rumour is he will play.........Sligo, yes I said Sligo:)

Friend of mine mentioned it to me and I just seen this facebook page set up about it

http://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/Bruce-Springsteen-To-Play-Lissadell-House-Co-Sligo-in-Summer-2011/103159816419327

He's good friends with Leonard Cohen who played in Lissadell during the summer. If he's going on a Seeger sessions style tour then its possible he might gig in Sligo.

Would love to see it happen

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Bryan4president

Jesus if he plays Sligo, tickets will be like Gold-dust. Would be great though if he came West for a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Just has an interesting email from the states. A good contact tells me bruce and the E-street will tour in 2012, currently working on a new album.

More details to follow....

• Registered Users Posts: 86,878 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

yew_tree wrote: »
    Just has an interesting email from the states. A good contact tells me bruce and the E-street will tour in 2012, currently working on a new album.

More details to follow....

Hopefully Croke Park or the Aviva Stadium for them

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Hopefully Croke Park or the Aviva Stadium for them

+1

The sound in the RDS does be harsh to say the least. The man deserves better!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

You said it, what a song, I can't believe it's not considered one of the all time greats by anyone.

I've seen him live twice and he didn't play it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26 RadioNowhere

Ormus wrote: »
    You said it, what a song, I can't believe it's not considered one of the all time greats by anyone.

I've seen him live twice and he didn't play it :(

I also agree, aside from the obvious songs (i.e. the whole Born to Run album, Born in the USA etc) Racing in the Street is phenomenal. The version on The Promise is so different yet I love them both.

I go through phases of what my favourite album is (usually come back to BTR) and at the minute it's the Promise (so many tracks from the Darkness era that didn't make it onto the record) and Because the Night is my favourite from that.

Roll on July, my first Bruce gig!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 GoldDustWoman

Very hard to choose one song but if I had to it would be Tenth Avenue Freeze Out from Born to Run.

Very close runner up would be Atlantic City from the Nebraska album.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Ormus wrote: »
    I can't believe [Racing in the Street is] not considered one of the all time greats by anyone. I've seen him live twice and he didn't play it :(

Well, I've seen him sixteen times and never seen him do Incident on 57th Street, so what can you do? :rolleyes:

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭loverslane

Aw Incident is a beauty live - heard it in Glasgow.

There is still lots on my wish list and I have been to slightly more gigs than delbert but I've had quite a number fulfilled. Incident was one of those as was 41 Shots.

That's the beauty of Bruce - like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get. My non Bruce loving friends don't quite get why I will go to 2 or 3 gigs back to back and that's the reason as no 2 concerts are ever the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Well, I've seen him sixteen times and never seen him do Incident on 57th Street, so what can you do? :rolleyes:

Go for lucky number 17?

Advertisement