Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Castlebar.ie

• 04-06-2008 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Castlebar.ie Gone....

What the thoughts after 10 years in business

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Its a shame. Only one rag to blame.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, I'm very disappointed to see it come to this. I was one of many involved in it's early days (can't even remember what sections I built, but I do remember spending HOURS working on it :)).

However, publishing law being what it is in Ireland, there's nothing stopping people like Tony Geraghty and his business holding the site responsible for the opinions of others. What should we do? Have the law changed obviously - have you spoken to your local TD about this?

I do feel however, there's scope for the site to continue. Whilst the BB may have made up most of the traffic, the photo archives and various clubs and socs pages must've brought some business.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dialandeliver

i do think the law should be changed in ireland as you should be able to have a say on issues within reason as language and the like should be clean but lots of papers can have a say about the public but the public seems to be restricted about what they say about topics in news papers... ie using local internet BB sites as not everyone has a paper at their disposal

it a shame when it comes to this as an information website with over 3.8 million hits last month to close even after the topics posted by someone was removed after complaint.... papers can not remove topics after the paper has gone out but BB boards can cant see why this is not enough... if only for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sandybee

Can anyone tell me what journalism experience the mayo echo guy has. His stuff reads like a junior cert essay. I would be ashamed to be his journalism teacher. Is he in the Union of National Journalists who have a code. Is he from Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

sandybee wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what journalism experience the mayo echo guy has. His stuff reads like a junior cert essay. I would be ashamed to be his journalism teacher. Is he in the Union of National Journalists who have a code. Is he from Mayo.
    Actually, he's not a journalist, he's the "Editor". This is the complete opposite quality of what one would expect from an article written by an editor.

Also, i am a JC student now, and I can write better articles than that. Personally, personal threats would have been the least I'd expect if I wrote comments as defamatory as that.

@ Kharn, I agree on that point. Note that under Irish Law, it's the whole website which is liable and not just the application(in this case, the bulletin board), therefore unless legal threats are retracted fully, the whole website will be discontinued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

Apart from the email, which has been reproduced in a number of places, was there a real legal threat?

We get those spurious email threats targetting client websites on a regular basis, but 9 times out of 10 they never follow through with a proper legal letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dialandeliver

I Started this thread to see what people thought of castlebar.ie gone but i have being reading more about it in the thread "Ah Castlebar" would recommend people who are interested in this topic read that also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gt1916

If you want to help save castlebar.ie, join the facebook group below.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=16336032874

Over the next few days on that group you will see action you can take to Save Castlebar.ie

Save the Community, Save Castlebar.ie

Thanks.

You can now sign an online petition.

http://www.petitiononline.com/soscbrie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Castlebar.ie seems to be back up again, although I cannot find a link to the message board which started all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Good to see Castlebar.ie back up and running. I think the petition was worded wrongly, however. In my opinion, it's the Mayo Echo that should be making the apology for their slanderous, homophobic and outrageous "article."

It is good to see activity on castlebar.ie. Just to clarify the bulletin boards which promotes most of the traffic to the site are not back up. The Save Castlebar.ie group would like to see those back too.

The key reason the website was forced to close was due to the threat of legal action. The central objective of the petition is the removal of that threat. Some people would have suggested stronger wording but that may amke it more difficult fo THe Mayo Echo to move from their current position. In tjhe end if the threat is removed then the website can come back in full.

Please continue to sign the petition, the activity on the castlebar.ie is good but as long as the threat of legal action remains this is not over.

http://www.savecastlebarie.org/

http://www.petitiononline.com/soscbrie/

I am so over it.

Threat of legal action removed from castlebar.ie. See full statement below. The caps are not mine!

http://www.midwestirishradio.com/newsdetails.php?nid=1559&action=newsdetails

THREAT OF LEGAL ACTION AGAINST CASTLEBAR WEBSITE HAS BEEN LIFTED Jun 12 2008
    THE EDITOR OF THE MAYO ECHO HAS WITHDRAWN THE THREAT OF LEGAL ACTION AGAINST THE WEBSITE castlebar.ie, WHICH CLOSED AT THE END OF LAST MONTH. THE MAYO ECHO HAD THREATENED LEGAL ACTION, FOLLOWING A NUMBER OF POSTINGS ON THE WEBSITE, IN CONNECTION WITH AN ARTICLE THE FREESHEET NEWSPAPER CARRIED ABOUT ALLEGED ACTIVITIES AT LOUGH LANNAGH IN CASTLEBAR. THE castlebar.ie WEBSITE HAS NOW BEEN RESTORED, AND IN A STATEMENT TO MIDWEST RADIO, THE MAYO ECHO’S EDITOR TONY GERAGHTY THANKS THOSE BEHIND THE WEBSITE FOR REVERSING THEIR DECISION TO CLOSE IT, AS HE SAYS IT’S A VALUABLE COMMUNITY RESOURCE. MR GERAGHTY SAYS THE MAYO ECHO ISSUED A COMPLAINT TO THE MODERATORS OF THE SITE OVER A SMALL NUMBER OF POSTINGS, INCLUDING A THREAT BY ONE INDIVIDUAL TO BURN THE OFFICES OF THE MAYO ECHO. THE WEBSITE WAS SUBSEQUENTLY CLOSED, BUT MR GERAGHTY SAYS IT WAS NEVER HIS INTENTION THAT THIS WOULD HAPPEN. HE SAYS THE MAYO ECHO RECOGNISES THAT THOSE BEHIND THE WEBSITE OPERATE ON A VOLUNTARY BASIS. HE ALSO SAYS THE OFFENSIVE POSTINGS HAVE NOW BEEN REMOVED, AND ANY THREAT OF LEGAL ACTION BY HIM OR THE MAYO ECHO AGAINST ANYONE INVOLVED IN THE WEBSITE IS NOW WITHDRAWN.

Advertisement