Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice resturant in Dublin City Center

Options
  • 04-06-2008 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Anyone have the name of a nice place to get dinner in the city. I'm taking a girl for dinner on Friday night and was looking for something a little romantic.

Any ideas?

Budget wise I was thinking between 60 - 80 for both of us.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Don't really know if it's hugely romantic but I liked Pasta Fresca when I was there a few weeks ago. It's on Chatham St (I think) just off Grafton Street.

They do a nice fillet steak which is all I was concerned with as well as pizzas and vegetarian options too.

Three course meal for both of us and a couple of drinks came to 80E.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,195 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cafe Topolis on Parliament Street is nice, and should be in your budget range. They have a range of Italian dishes, and I recommend the chicken wings to start.
    If you like Thai food, Siam Thai on South Andrew Street is good, and the prices are reasonable enough.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Just stumbled across this not that I have a particular recommendation but I have to disagree with the above poster with regards to Topolis. I would recommend avoiding it. Myself and a couple of friends where not impressed with the food I have to say.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Dataisgod wrote: »
    Just stumbled across this not that I have a particular recommendation but I have to disagree with the above poster with regards to Topolis. I would recommend avoiding it. Myself and a couple of friends where not impressed with the food I have to say.
    I'm glad someone else said it 1st. Was v.surprised to see it getting a recommendation. Indeed chicken wings in an Italian restaurant may well considered ranging out Italian cuisine but in a very, very, wrong direction (and I'm pretty sure I saw something on the menu that had chili-garlic sauce too). OP-avoid.
    Winding stair...might push budget up by 20quid but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Wagamama which is across from the Gaeity Theatre is good, you'll certainly eat there for less than €60 for two of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

ya wagamama would be good, not too personal, but at the same time not very romantic, it can be if you make it yourself, just theres no proper seats, all benches you share with others. top notch food though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

humberklog wrote: »
    I'm glad someone else said it 1st. Was v.surprised to see it getting a recommendation. Indeed chicken wings in an Italian restaurant may well considered ranging out Italian cuisine but in a very, very, wrong direction (and I'm pretty sure I saw something on the menu that had chili-garlic sauce too). OP-avoid.
    Winding stair...might push budget up by 20quid but worth it.

Winding stair was booked out :( but had a look at it online and its something like this that I'd be looking at.

Keep the suggestions coming, i'm checking everything.

It might help if I add that I am trying to impress the girl here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Ciao Bella Roma in Parliament St has really good, reasonably priced food.
    It's not overly romantic but good atmosphere at night time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Roly's in Ballsbridge? Baan Thai is also there which I'm a big fan of. Go to Baan Thai!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I got one for you!

The Port House! Lot of candles, very reasonable tapas, you keep the menu and keep ordering till your full or out of cash. The wine by the glass is allright, you would be better off getting a bottle between you.

One problem. You can't book, its a walk in affair. Usually they will have a table in an hour for you, so go in early and go for a drink.

http://www.indublin.ie/Venues/Restaurants/The_Port_House.aspx

Its got some dreadful reviews in the past, but I think its great.

Fair play to you for dining on a budget, the more of you there are the more good quality reasonable restaurants there will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

OmegaRed wrote: »
    Winding stair was booked out :( but had a look at it online and its something like this that I'd be looking at.

Keep the suggestions coming, i'm checking everything.

It might help if I add that I am trying to impress the girl here.....

Winding Stair you need to book 5 or 6 weeks in advance if it's a weekend, and about 3 weeks in advance for mid-week. But it's very worth it :)

Though if it's not out of line, I gotta say leaving booking a restaurant til short notice isn't the best way to impress a girl ;)

I actually quite like Brasserie 66 on Sth Great George's St, though it's not particularly quiet for the romance. It's pretty good value though, and I love the food.

But I gotta say for good value you can't beat Rhodes D7 (between the Jervis and Four Courst Luas stops). Remarkably low prices for what you're getting, funky decor and lovely atmosphere, great service any time I've been there, and you might even get a chance to talk to Gary Rhodes himself, as he pops in personally every few months to check up on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

lightening wrote: »
    I got one for you!

The Port House! Lot of candles, very reasonable tapas, you keep the menu and keep ordering till your full or out of cash. The wine by the glass is allright, you would be better off getting a bottle between you.

One problem. You can't book, its a walk in affair. Usually they will have a table in an hour for you, so go in early and go for a drink.

http://www.indublin.ie/Venues/Restaurants/The_Port_House.aspx

Its got some dreadful reviews in the past, but I think its great.

Fair play to you for dining on a budget, the more of you there are the more good quality reasonable restaurants there will be.

Ooh, good idea! Though I personally would say go for their sister restaurant Pinxtos in Temple Bar. Same non-book deal, but it's really great. Do be careful though, as you can end up drinking a LOT of wine without quite realising it :D

Another non-bookable restaurant (which therefore might be possible) is L'Gueuleton on Fade Street (opposite the Market Bar). Although I've never been there it is consistently rated as one of the best lower-priced restaurants in Dublin. Opens 6pm-10pm, so go for an early dinner, and then ye can head to the Market Bar afterwards :)

microgirl wrote: »
    go for their sister restaurant Pinxtos in Temple Bar.

Yeah, actually heard it was even better. Is it as romantic? The Port house has no lights, its all candles....

OP, you better let us know how you got on! (with dinner of course)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

lightening wrote: »
    Yeah, actually heard it was even better. Is it as romantic? The Port house has no lights, its all candles....

OP, you better let us know how you got on! (with dinner of course)

+1 on Porthouse although I haven't been in since the re-furb, but I love it as a setting. Can get cracking prices on good wines too.(The Fois gras on slice of apple is to be recommended too)

The OP could go for Chez Max. It's very up and down( that kind of adds to the unexpected experience) but it does have a brilliant little menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

What about the Unicorn Restaurant? It will push your budget a good bit but its worth it!

http://www.unicornrestaurant.com/

Town Bar and Grill? Again it will push the budget but its a great little place, won't disappoint.

http://www.townbarandgrill.com/

The Cellar Restaurant in the Merrion? Lovely little place.

http://www.merrionhotel.com/cellar_restaurant.asp

You'll be pressed for a reservation but always good for future reference.
    If you want any more just ask :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

I found the bridge bar and grill on Grand Canal Quay to be really romanic. Good food and good size poritions too. You might not be able to get a reservation on such short notice though.

http://www.menupages.ie/Restaurants/Bridge_Bar_and_Grill.aspx

Also +1 for Sixty6 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Been taking notes on this thread, thanks guys!

Only in dublin a short amount of time but i went to the Milano in Temple bar and thought it was really nice. Although that was for a lunch so i don't know what dinner atmosphere is like.....

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

myself and my missus went to byblos restaraunt, its a lebanese style place with real unusual type foods, cant say its romantic but it certainly is unusual, laid back atmosphere in there, great food and good prices too, 80 euros for 2 people including a bottle of house wine.

http://www.dublintourist.com/details/byblos.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

For atmosphere and character it is hard to beat Trocadero.

Old-fashioned romance.

http://www.trocadero.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

Try Sinners Restaurant on Parliament Street. Me and my bf went there on Monday and wow! It's a Lebanese restaurant but they also do other stuff, like steak, etc..It's quite small and intimate, and romantic during the evening!
    The service is great also. Our bill came to 90, but my bf's starter/mains cost 30 altogether, which was a sample of all the Lebanese starters and mai courses on 2 plates, so that was actually pretty good value.
    I got the Tiger prawns in filo parcels, and they were GORGEOUS....they cost 20 but the amount you get is well worth it...I couldn't finish them!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hdunne

i think menupages.ie is great for information on all good places in town, personally i love
    • Pasta Fresca has been mentioned before
    • Toscana across from city hall, its the best ever and really good value
    • Bocaccio on dame street
    • Have you notices i like italian!!
    • Siam Thai

all these and lots more on menupage .ie !!!! let us all know how u get on

Advertisement