Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone using Magnet to play?

• 04-06-2008 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there is any issues with Magnet's connection to AoC? I'm using Eircom atm but thinking of switching my entire package over to Magnet if the price is right.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

If it's the same connection, I can't imagine why it'd be any different to how it plays on an Eircom line.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

The thing to remember here is if you are on a Magnet enabled exchange you'll get uncontended broadband that may be faster than your current BB speed. On Eircom you are probably getting around 1.5mb on a 2mb connection, with magnet I would imagine you can get a 4mb connection that will more or less stay at 4mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Magnet are uncontended? News to me. Last I checked, which was about 3 months ago... they werent.

Yep, in the vast , vast majority of cases they would be. On the fiber network they are uncontended and on their local exchanges network they would be uncontended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Lunatik72

Switched from NTL to Magnet finally, much better pings and latency.

Playing EQ2 again though, got bored of all the dying in AoC really quick.

• Advertisement

If ye like i can tell you all where Magnet are available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Well I'm pretty sure thats what their website is for... :p
    And you might give the impression that you are just a shill, so I dont think its necessary ;)

fair point

On another note does anyone know if ping times are important for online gaming, ive heard a few reports (all conflicting)but im not really sure i.e. can you play online games using one of the mobile broadband providers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I have Eircom only play WoW and some CS. For WoW its fine cause my ping ranges from 150 to 600 and it changes from hour to hour. Over all its still playable when my connection is like 600ms in WoW but i dont like it. In CS their is no point in playing when like that.

Im lucky to get BB my self, im the vert last house to get it on the line. The next house past me cant get it.

Tell me about it, there are areas in Dublin where the customers are miles away from the exchanges. Areas like Howth and others are close to unworkable, i shudder to think whats gonna happen when people in these areas hear about 8mbs/12mbs/20mbs services becoming the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Kirijoleth

I'm living in Howth and was on a 2meg BT connection which was the max I could get with them. I moved to a Magnet uncontended line and seem to always get 3meg download and about 900 kbps upload with decent pings in games.

Advertisement