Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Question

Options
  • 04-06-2008 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

I'm in a bit of a predicament here in that I'm looking to start getting using some big sample packs and the like - the uberschall stuf or even some of the EAST-WEST stuff if I can scrape the shekels together.

I've a 'spare' music laptop now - a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilio D, 2.66ghz P4. Not particularly portable or anything but I can max it out to 2gb ram and 120gb HD for little enough money and its perfectly servicable.

My problem lies in that a lot of these sample packs are 6-8gbs or more. Is it feasible to run these off of a portable HD (USB2.0 as oppposed to firewire) or would there be a detrimental lag? Is it even possible?

Should I max out my current 512mb/20gb HD set up or should I sell the laptop and build up a desktop system with the money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

I have a Centrino 1.73 lappie that utilises the internal hard drive for all programme files and an external Seagate USB drive too house audio files and sample files. I run,amongst other software, EZdrummer with several ezx's, Garritan Steinway, Sampletank2.0XL which are all multi gig libraries and, to date, I have had no problem running them from the external 7200 rpm drive. Most laptops have 5400rpm drives and these can introduce problems if you are streaming lots of big audio /sample files direct from disk. You will be surprised. The Seagate is very quiet which is worth bearing in mind if you are going to record audio in the same room as you track / mix.

One caveat though is that I dual boot the laptop keeping an ultra slimmed down version of XP as my music DAW (no internet, MSN, flashy graphics in windows, ethernet, wifi, etc) to help things along swimmingly.
    You should be fine with yours. RAM is important so get as much in the system that your wallet (and your OpSYs) will allow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Well thats very reassuring. I'm going to go out and buy a pair of 500g HDs as soon as money allows me - one just for music and the other for miscellaneous ****e - and max up the laptop.

As regards the slimmed version of WinXP - are you using a torrented version or did you just slim an install down with nlite? I got my hands on a copy of the mythX 'XP Pro Digital Audio Workstation Edition' which is only a 130mb ISO and uses 40mb of RAM and am wondering what its like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement