Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTI's/Cystitis

Options
  • 04-06-2008 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else suffer from these frequently? I'm suffering at the moment (had another one about 2/3 weeks ago, it's probably the same one which didn't clear up properly)

It's so PAINFUL :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Its awful you poor thing. I used to suffer terribly with it along with urinary infections the only thing that worked was cranberry juice and anti-biotics..

You have to take all your anti-biotics and clear the infection up properly.
    I know of someone who ended up on dyalisis because he didn't look after UTI's properly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

ozzyoh wrote: »
    Does anyone else suffer from these frequently? I'm suffering at the moment (had another one about 2/3 weeks ago, it's probably the same one which didn't clear up properly)

Have you changed your diet so you don't get them frequently?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

I always finish my course of anti-biotics..the dialysis thought really scares me! I think my diet is relatively ok...fruit, veg, etc...I drink loadsa water and cranberry juice...Cystopurin is a lifesaver, that take away some of the pain at least - I used to suffer from them when I was a kid, and then they just stopped. They only started again when I became sexually active, which is awful cos now whenever I have sex I can't help worrying that I'll get one after wards...and yes I drink plenty water before/after and always have a shower every day.....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Latex allergy to condoms can cause UTI's. If you do use them, you could try avanti to see if it is that.
    Btw you pee after right?

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Latex allergy to condoms can cause UTI's. If you do use them, you could try avanti to see if it is that.
    Btw you pee after right?

Yep always...(btw condoms aren't used much as I'm on Pill and in steady relationship)

:( Thats so annoying.
    All I can suggest is that you keep drinking cranberry juice to ward them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

you poor thing. I know exactly how you feel. I'm always getting them and they are so debilitating!

don't drink any tea or coffee or eat chocolate - the caffeine is an irritant. I've only recently discovered this to be a major trigger and I've been much better since

get well soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Ugh UTI's!! I suffered badly with them about 3 years ago, was very run down, used to drink sooooooooooo much caffeine.

Got cystitis, was treated with Anti B's but was too late and developed into a Kidney Infection, which was the worst pain I have ever experienced then that cleared up but a week later the cystitis came back :( So nearly a month and a half of this!!

I always make sure to keep myself very well hydrated and to make sure I go to the loo often and especially after sex.

dh2007 wrote: »
    don't drink any tea or coffee or eat chocolate - the caffeine is an irritant. I've only recently discovered this to be a major trigger and I've been much better since

get well soon :)

I didn't know caffeine was bad :eek: Me mam is always tellin me to drink plenty of tea and I do! ooooooh I wont be making that mistake again....

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Regular paracetamol helps with the worst of the pain. I was also told to drink Robinsons barley water (you can get it mixed with fruit flavour) its very good. Barley water from boiled barley is an old cure when we werent posh enough for cranberry.
    Be careful with cranberry, if it has lots of sugar it might not help you. Cranberry powder is supposed to be good, try a health food shop for that.

I had cystisis chronically for a few years. I had to stick rigidly to a no tea no coffee regime, and plenty of barley water, peeing after sex, all of that. It took a while to clear fully, but its never recurred once I got rid of it fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I used to get these all the time, they always developed into kidney infections too. The best advice I got was from my doc when I asked him straight out how sex affects it. He said:
    1. Pee after sex, immediately
    2. Be extremely careful how you wipe yourself when you go to the loo, front to back, and be accurate!
    3. Most of all, even if you think you don't need it, use lubricant.
    Number three there cracked it for me. I didn't think I needed it at all, but invested in a bottle of the durex play (big purple bottle) and started to use it liberally (which is giggly fun when all slippy:D) and it made all the difference. I now use it every single time and I haven't got one in a year.
    The pill can really reduce fluids down there and you can sometimes not even notice it. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Oh god there's nothing worse than a UTI / cystitis / kidney infection! What you need to do is buy a tub of cranberry capsules & Acidophilus capsules from the pharmacy (they are available in all pharmacies - made by Sona I think, they are just supplements) and take them every day. The cranberry ones have very high potency and a pharmacist told me that they are far better than drinking cranberry juice.

The acidophilus is taken to restore the good bacteria in your body. You up your dosage when you are taking antibiotics so that you don't get thrush so if you are on antibiotics and a woman take the god damn acidophilus!!!! You don't want to have to suffer with a kidney infection or whatever only for your antiBs to fix it and then for you to get thrush because the antiBs kill off your good bacteria and have to take more antibiotics!

EDIT: since you are suffering now, I'd defo recommend the cranberry tablets. Seriously, go talk to your pharmacist and they'll more than likely tell you to take them. Also they will stop you suffering from them in future. I haven't had a kidney infection since I started taking them - I had to coz my doc went mental the last time I got one coz it was so bad, I'll never ever forget the pain of driving to the doctor that evening, I don't ever want to go through that again! So cranberry tablets all the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

ozzyoh wrote: »
    I always finish my course of anti-biotics..the dialysis thought really scares me! I think my diet is relatively ok...fruit, veg, etc...I drink loadsa water and cranberry juice...Cystopurin is a lifesaver, that take away some of the pain at least - I used to suffer from them when I was a kid, and then they just stopped. They only started again when I became sexually active, which is awful cos now whenever I have sex I can't help worrying that I'll get one after wards...and yes I drink plenty water before/after and always have a shower every day.....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Something to try might be a probiotic supplement or drink for a week after each course of antibiotics to rebuild your intestinal flora and fauna so to speak, as this helps reistance to further infection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

I get cystitis quite a bit aswell, although I haven't had it in a while. I'm always completely paranoid that I can feel it coming on! It's such a dose! The most uncomfortable thing in the world. I don't really know what's made the difference but I haven't suffered with it in a while. Anytime I feel like I may be feeling it about to start I drink loads of water and cranberry juice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Thankfully I've only ever had cystitis once. I remember it being very painful. Thankfully the antibiotics cleared it up and I haven't had another one since. I do try to follow the pee immediately after sex and drink plenty of fluids rule.

I have a friend who suffers from them regularly. I'll send her on a link to this thread to see if it helps her any.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I had a rotten case of this about a year ago.
    It was horrible :mad: Four weeks of hell!
    Def take the antibiotics, plenty of water etc.
    They're awful :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

scoot on wrote: »
    I'm always completely paranoid that I can feel it coming on!

Ditto, it's a horrible feeling, I must seem like a have the tiniest bladder to everyone, am always going to the Loo or if I do feel it coming on i'm drinking as much as a I can.

Isn't there meant to be something about the type of underwear your wear aswell that can make a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Yep cystitis is a bummer and often caused by enthusiastic lovemaking. Important that you pee after sex as holding it in can cause it too OP, you need to get rid of any lurking bacteria.

FYI

How can I prevent cystitis?

Use condoms during sex and anal sex.
    If cystitis often occurs after sex you and your partner should both wash (just with water) before sex. Also try using lubricant to lower the risk of friction.
    Pee immediately before and after having sex to flush out any dodgy bacteria.
    Always drink 8 or more glasses of water a day.
    Pee at least 6 times a day.
    Try to avoid sugary drinks, alcohol, strong, tea or coffee.
    Drink unsweetened cranberry juice.
    Wipe from front to back after going to the toilet to prevent the spread of bacteria.
    Don't use any strong soaps, creams, deodorants or powders in the vagina area: just cool water.

Thanks for all your tips guys :) A lotta stuff there that I didn't know before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Miss Fluff wrote: »

That's a lot of peeing. I'm a fiend for drinking water and wouldn't go that often.

+1 on the peeing after sex, once i got diligent about that never had a dose of cystitis again. It works, but i would feel terribly jealous of himself as he would be snoozing in the afterglow and i'd have to drag myself out of the bed, and off to the loo to run the sink taps and think of rivers and oceans in order to pee on demand. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

nothing worse than cystitis.....read somewhere that 30% of women get once and 70% of those get more than once. have got 2/3 times every year in last ten! doctor gave me antibiotics but now resistant to ipral, macrodantin (standard ones) so gave me broad spectrum ones (augmentin, clorom)...which cause thrush. Great!

Ended up having full STI screen, all clear, and then ultrasound to see why so may UTIs.

Answer: just cause you're a woman. sick of them. Would love to find something that would help. Take cranberry tablets and juice but regular as clockwork (sex or not) get every 2-3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I got given augmentin , you can combat the itchy with acidophilus.
    Gets rid of any nasty side effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 catxxx

they are the most painful things ever and its so annoying how sex can be a trigger... my doc told me to pee before and after sex but I was thinkin its not the biggest turn on in the world for your guy if you get up during foreplay to pee!
    but yeah loads of water and pain killers too and if that doesnt work I guess it'll have to be anti biotics.... feel better! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 molmoo

i have suffered from uti's, kidney infections and cystitis for the past year. i only had this trouble when i became sexually active on a regular basis. i was so bad at one stage i couldnt work for 3mths and didnt bother going out. i went to a consultant it was so bad. she advised me to use hypoallergenic condoms and lubricant all the time. this helped greatly. also the usual cranberry juice/tablets/ water/ pee before and after sex(essential), also to change sex positions(from behind & woman on top allows women to controll how penetrative it is), dymanose is good if you cant stomach cytopurin(which i cant). you can get it on www.dymanose.com.

i had a copper coil inserted which also makes you prone to infection. getting this was the biggest mistake of my life. i was never so sick with kidney infections in my life. awful. im am advising young women who have not had kids not to get this done. i only got the coil cos i was desperste cos i cant take the pill. i am only saying this because the coil causes uti's and can lead to cystitis...so advoid like the plague ladies....

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭quinevere

I had my appendix removed 2 years ago immediately afterwards I got some severe kidney infections and am now prone to them get them in winter every month, I always have a dull ache in my right hand side of my back and My back at the right hand and left hand side gets extremely cold and hurts and a few days later i'll get a kidney infections they are more common in winter for me.

I normally am perscribed ciproxin and have no other symptoms till i start to feel very sick and the pain in my back worsens

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Thankfully I have never had this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Pythia wrote: »
    Thankfully I have never had this.

Me too. Sounds horrible :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Yep cystitis is a bummer and often caused by enthusiastic lovemaking. Important that you pee after sex as holding it in can cause it too OP, you need to get rid of any lurking bacteria.

FYI

How can I prevent cystitis?

Use condoms during sex and anal sex.
    If cystitis often occurs after sex you and your partner should both wash (just with water) before sex. Also try using lubricant to lower the risk of friction.
    Pee immediately before and after having sex to flush out any dodgy bacteria.
    Always drink 8 or more glasses of water a day.
    Try to avoid sugary drinks, alcohol, strong, tea or coffee.
    Drink unsweetened cranberry juice.
    Wipe from front to back after going to the toilet to prevent the spread of bacteria.
    Don't use any strong soaps, creams, deodorants or powders in the vagina area: just cool water.

Pretty much bang on here !! you can't go wrong with this!

• Advertisement

I'm not sure but I think I still have mine...this has been going on a month now :( First I had one, took tablets, seemed to clear, then the following fortnight I started feeling awful again...more than likely, it was still the first one which hadn't been cured completely. First I took Augmentin, didn't work, on my last Cifloxager tab today, it doesn'y hurt anymore peeing or anything...it's just I can still FEEL something there...still a bit uncomfortable in the mornings but then it seems to go away later in the day...I'm not being paranoid, I'm still def not 100%! I've spent nearly €200 on doctor visits/antibiotics on this one bloody infection AAARGHHHHHHHHHHH!

Advertisement