Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*sigh* One last time... BB in rural Cavan area?

Options
  • 04-06-2008 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

This is something of a last call for suggestions for broadband coverage in the rural Cavan area. Well, suggestions would be great. All I've got so far from most of the providers is "No chance pal".

The location in question is about half way between Stradone and Cootehill. It's a pretty elevated spot and we are in line of sight of Slieveglagh mountain (Killygarry). A number of providers have equipment there I know.

It all looked very promising a few days ago when Net1 assured us that if we were in line of sight of that mountain, Thunderbirds were go. Unfortunately there was some obstruction on the mountain between their mast and us. So it seems not only do we have to be within line of sight of it we have to be coming in from the right direction too. Terribly frustrating.

Broadband over the phoneline is a non-starter. The lines out our way are so bad a decent fall of rain will knock them for six. My dad runs a company out there and needs to download/upload large CAD drawings on a daily basis. Doing this through a modem is torture as you can imagine.

So, anyone I've missed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Have you tried Ciaracom? www.ciaracom.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

Digiweb have a mast on Slieve Glah so you could try them!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crackity_jones

Thanks for the replies people.

Just spoke with Ciaracom and they don't stretch as far as us.

Also spoke to Digiweb and the girl I spoke with seemed to want to concentrate solely on broadband over the phoneline. Which is no good to me of course. Enquired about wireless connection to Slieveglagh but she seemed to dismiss this straight off.

Maybe I need to get a hold of someone else there.

I'm starting to think we're just stuck in a place that no one wants to provide for. Which is fair enough. Why cover an area with a small population?

Hmmm, wonder if Eircom have... ah, I'm just kiddin' ;)

Advertisement