Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

comparative help

Options
  • 04-06-2008 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

On the comparative in paper 2 there
    cul context
    lit genre
    theme or issue

and general vision or viewpoint? im not sure of this one and dont believe we covered it/ is it much like the cultural context? or do you just talk about what happenes in each text?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭peteballagh

I thought for H/L there's only 3 modes - Lit Gen., Cul Con, and Theme? I've only done theme and cultural context!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

general vision or viewpoint is not prescribed for 2008 it's just the other 3: Literary Genre, Theme and Issue, Cultural Context.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

general vision or viewpoint isnt on our course this year..
    its 2 out of cultural context
    literary genre
    theme or issue

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Thank god!!

Was going throught the papers and was like "wtf is this about? i dont ever rember seeing this" haha

Saved me alot of boder guys, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭maggie18x

remember when the examiner is correcting your answer on the comparative every time they see you make a comparison such where two texts are similar or disimailiar or where you are talking about the texts all together they put a little "C" of the side of your essay.the higher the "c's" you have the better yuor result!

its not called the COMPARATIVE text for nothing!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

Dr.Millah wrote: »
    Thank god!!

Was going throught the papers and was like "wtf is this about? i dont ever rember seeing this" haha

Saved me alot of boder guys, thanks!
    Same here
    I have litracy and theme covered and was hoping I would get lucky.

I am hoping for theme to come up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Im hoping for Cultural Context or Theme/issues. One has to come up anyway so its not to bad. Unlike with the poets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

I'm guessing it will be a Theme And Issue question. I hope it will!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Bryan4president

Literary Genre all the way. God its so easy. well as least compared to Othello

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

maggie18x wrote: »
    remember when the examiner is correcting your answer on the comparative every time they see you make a comparison such where two texts are similar or disimailiar or where you are talking about the texts all together they put a little "C" of the side of your essay.the higher the "c's" you have the better yuor result!

its not called the COMPARATIVE text for nothing!

:)

You need at least 3 or 4 in your essay to be taken seriously! So our teacher says.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭maggie18x

Parsley wrote: »
    You need at least 3 or 4 in your essay to be taken seriously! So our teacher says.

what are you serious?:confused: if that is the case you are only making 4 comparisons in your probably 4 page essay so what you essentially are doing is a summary of the texts which is not good.

at the start of every paragraph say a statement which links one or two or all of the texts.talk about one of the texts,then link it to another,finally the end of the paragraph can be a summing up of the issue between the texts.each paragraph should have 3 to 4 comparisons at least!this is peoples downfall in this question...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What I do is state my point in the first line of each paragraph e.g, Almost immediately in each text, the gap in communication between father and son is evident. In Phily, SB and Gar are sitting at the table in an awkward silence...Simlarly in Babylon, Alec has not spoken with either of his parents since his departure to war. "I love no living person. I have not communicated with either my father or my mother." This can also be said for My Left Foot...so on and so forth.

I had 5 of these points and expansions like that and the examiner said it was 5 Comparisons, essentially I had 3 comparisons and contrasts in each paragraph so that was 15. They only take for it in a general overlook if you get what I am saying. ye probably don't but it makes sense to me and I tried my best!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Turquoise

My teacher says you should have at least a few C's on every page?! I got a B1 on the comparative section in the mocks and had 17 C's?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I got 64/70 in it which in an A2 in that section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭scholes19

got 72 in d mocks, and just wondering whether one should do a comparative, in terms of taking each text as individual! at the end linking them with the other texts!? is this correct or will i lose marks for doin so!

Advertisement