Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hols in West Cork

Options
  • 04-06-2008 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hello Cork Forum, I'm heading to your fair county for a week to the Ballylicky/Bantry area and I'm looking for some advice on activites that we (young couple NO KIDS tfg :p) could do there.

Planning on going to Mizen head, do the beara drive and maybe walk some of the Way, weather permitting and head out to Dursey on that dodgy cable car (saw it when I was 5 and would not go on for love nor money:(......years later hopefully I will).

We were also looking at going on a whale watching trip its €50 expensive enough since we're on a bit of a budget but maybe its worth it...???

Any other suggestions are very welcome!!!

Oh and where's the nearest nice beach???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

hi, i went canoeing on lough ine last year.. it's near baltimore(about half hour drive from bantry) and we had a great day. there's loads of scenery/walks down that way but i don't know if that interests ye. the bantry bay mussels rock!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Barleycove is probably the best nearby beach. Its past the Schull/Goleen area.
    Coincidentally it's also the area where €400 million worth of drugs washed ashore last year , so if you find a suspect packages make sure not bring them home ;)

Also if you planning on doing the ring of Beara it might be worth driving the Healy Pass also which is a fantastic stretc of road between Adrigole and Lauragh, Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Barleycove is at least 40mins from ballylickey but if your heading to mizen you pass right by it. kenmare is about a half hour from glengariff and the trip is worth it for the road itself. There are a couple of beaches on the beara peninsula at allihes, adrigole etc but my favourite is zetland pier about five miles from glengariff on the castletownbere road. Its Great for snorkelling and there is a small but sheltered beach just a five minute walk from the car park.
    climbing Hungry Hill is another day well spent.
    Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭pebblesjm

Thanks very much for those ideas....I'm all excited now, can't wait to get some good fresh sea air and a bit of hillwalking in :D yippee I'm going on my hols!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Hey,

I was in West Cork last week and visited all the places above, had a great time. Thanks for insight.

I also went to Garinish Island, excellent spot indeed.

Thanks again,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

bantry house
    garnish island
    bamboo park in glengariff
    glengarriff woods
    GOUGANE BARRA! beautiful!
    drive out the goats path to kilcrohane and ahakista.... u may even see christy moore!
    Barleycove is nice or u could chance inchydoney beach?

i used to run a b &b in bantry town centre i can reccommend some good eateries...... O Connors Seafood, The Brick Oven

and Ma Murphys Bar is highly recommendable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

The West Wing Cafe in Bantry house is excellent too! I've just discovered it and I'm very impressed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

HI
    just back from West Cork and thought I'd post to help others.
    I went surfing in Inchidoney and it was great.
    €35 for 2 hours. This includes board and wetsuit rental and expert tuition by instructors credited by the ISA ( Irish Surfing Association).
    The great thing about surfing is you can do it no matter what the weather.
    Here's the URL: http://www.westcorksurfing.com/
    It really is a fantastic part of the world.
    We stayed in the Celtic Cottages in Rosscarbury, which are ideal for families:
    http://www.celticcottages.ie/
    The lady who runs the cottages is very helpful, and its an ideal setting for those of us with young kids.
    I can't wait till my next visit.
    We had lunch in a restaurant in Clon called The Oracle and the staff were very helpful. Remember we had 2 small kids with us (2 and 10 months). The waitress even brought toys to the table!
    Its the little things that help!

Advertisement