Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista or XP?

• 04-06-2008 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a new laptop soon and I have the option to go with Vista or XP. Which would you recommend?

I have heard that Vista kinda sucks, but is it better than XP?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its different to XP. There are a few interface tweaks, and such. At the moment though Vista is working quite well and at the moment I dont see any reason to go back to XP for my own uses anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Vista Business is the same price as XP PRO and it's license allows you to use XP PRO.

XP was released in 2001 and Microsoft are trying to ditch it despite it being a nice familiar interface.

If you think there is a reasonable chande you will be using Vista during the life of the computer then buy a vista license. Upgrading later on is a complete waste of money as the OEM license on the laptop will poison an upgrade license rendering it bound to the motherboard forever.

thats a good call. Buy a full licence for Vista Business and use XP Pro until you are really ready to make the switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

Cianos wrote: »
    I'm getting a new laptop soon and I have the option to go with Vista or XP. Which would you recommend?

I have heard that Vista kinda sucks, but is it better than XP?

Cheers

Go for Vista its the laster, and make sure Vista SP1 is installed.
    Windows Vista it will grow on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I <3 Vista. Couldn't go back now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

unless you have software that is critical to your business (if your running it from your laptop) then there's really no reasons why not to go with vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Stick with XP if you are a gamer.
    Frames are still better under XP.

or, go to vista if youre a gamer vista has DX10.

owned, bitches :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Naikon wrote: »
    Stick with XP if you are a gamer.
    Frames are still better under XP.
    TBH m8 I have no issiues gaming under Vista, Nvidia drivers have improved so much, I'd say performance to be simular than XP, maybe one or two frames in difference which isnt all that much...

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm wondering about upgrading to Vista, I'm currently running XP pro.

When I bought the PC I bought everything with Vista in mind and it's very much a Vista ready PC. I even had the beta of Vista on the machine, I mistakenly installed the 64bit version not realising it wouldn't run 32bit software but it ran beautifully, really smooth and I'd even think quicker than XP.

I'm looking at getting the full version (cheaper than the upgrade on komplett??) of the premium home edition.

So ye reckon it's time?

• Advertisement

Huh? 64-bit will run 32-bit software just fine.

Really, I'm sure I had problems and the only game I could get running on it was company of heroes.

So should I get the 64bit version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

Try Linux, It's more stable and a lot more software for it. Fun Software too.

Fun me hole, I've given Linux a few goes. It's a nightmare rapped in a migraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

ScumLord wrote: »
    Really, I'm sure I had problems and the only game I could get running on it was company of heroes.

So should I get the 64bit version?
    Have to disagree with your Linux comment (;)) but yes, do use the 64-bit version if you can get the signed drivers for your hardware. And then you can exploit more RAM. Who knows how many more Windows releases will support 32-bit?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Try Linux, It's more stable and a lot more software for it. Fun Software too.
    Please read the charter

No Off-Topic Advocacy:
    When someone asks a question in relation to their current OS/browser/mailer/etc, either answer the question or don't post. If they want an alternative, they'll ask for it. Off-topic advocacy will be sent to the Recycle Bin and repeat offenders may be banned.

I dont like how they sell 32 and 64 seperately... surely if you buy 64 you can install 32.

64-bit will affect lots of programs, but this number will shrink over time obviously. When Im looking for a performance boost in a few years Ill jump up to 64 on this machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,924 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've tried full clean versions of Vista Home Premium and Ultimate several times now (good ole MVLS :)), and I've tried to stick with it, but I've always gone back to XP

- XP runs better/faster on the same hardware
    - Vista (aside from a pretty desktop) doesn't really offer anything over XP
    - Vista (even post SP1 - I only have it on this laptop because DELL have stopped offering XP drivers for their newer models :mad:) still occasionally stalls doing even the most basic tasks - eg: moving the cursor across the screen.
    - Activation (now even on MVLS copies) is a pain in a Ghosting/Imaging enviornment
    - To get anything approaching a decent experience, you need at least 2GB RAM and a decent video card. That's before you even run an application.

From what I've read/heard from colleagues, most businesses aren't planning to move to Vista anytime soon - despite what MS would like (you to believe).

In your case though OP, I'd suggest getting the Vista Business license and install XP until you feel the need to "upgrade"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

rule of thumb...

if you need to ask, then xp is your man.

Overheal wrote: »
    I dont like how they sell 32 and 64 seperately... surely if you buy 64 you can install 32.

64-bit will affect lots of programs, but this number will shrink over time obviously. When Im looking for a performance boost in a few years Ill jump up to 64 on this machine.
    If I bought the 64 bit version (I don't see it on Komplett or ebuyer) would all my software run? I'd like to take full advantage of my 64bit computer but not if it won't run any software.

• Advertisement

Depends what your software is. I can't think of anything off hand that won't work. Also, if you buy a copy of Vista, that licence will work with 32 and 64-bit versions. They only give you both in the box if you buy ultimate. If you have home premium they will post you the 64bit DVD for about a tenner.

Stephen wrote: »
    Depends what your software is. I can't think of anything off hand that won't work. Also, if you buy a copy of Vista, that licence will work with 32 and 64-bit versions. They only give you both in the box if you buy ultimate. If you have home premium they will post you the 64bit DVD for about a tenner.
    That's sound enough of them I suppose. If that's the case I don't really need to worry.

I know that applies to home premium anyway. I'd have my doubts about home basic!

Stephen wrote: »
    I know that applies to home premium anyway. I'd have my doubts about home basic!
    I was looking at premium anyways. Might get some use out of media centre seeing as I'm using the internet for tv (offcial site like 4od). Might get me the MC remote and throw in the logitech g25 steering wheel too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭DenMan

For Windows users, Vista is the way forward. I was skeptical at first when I was getting a new PC for work (previously with XP). I don't have any problems with it now and have now been using it for a year.

The only drawback to it is from a film editing point of view. So far the havn't sorted out supporting Avid (one of the main industry standards). They will get there in the end and I can use the Vista supports for running 3-D Studio Max and Daz 2-D. Takes a while I know. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭donaghs

To put it simply, unless you get a good spec machine (e.g. 2GB+ RAM, 2Ghz dual core CPU), Vista will run slower than XP and this will annoy you.

That said, if I was buying a new machine, and wasn't too worried about playing old games (and other legacy isssues), I'd definitely go with Vista.

I can't really think of a selling point. Except that Vista is the future, it means you won't have to upgrade your OS sooner. MS will soon cut back on support for XP, eventually they won't provide security patches and so on for it. Plus hardware and software manufacturers will be designing with Vista in mind, with XP support waning.

Flashy bits like Aero and sidebars can be added to XP by installing the necessary software, if you're into that sort of trickery.

Apart from XP being made rendundant, can any give me some good (and clearly defined) reasons for switching to Vista. e.g. saying "Vista is faster" is nonsense - I've seen both of them running on the same hardware with my own eyes.

If you want to buy XP your time is running out. They're going to stop selling it this month.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsxp/future.mspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Dual boot is the way to go or triple boot for linux which is gaining groung by the day

donaghs wrote: »
    Apart from XP being made rendundant, can any give me some good (and clearly defined) reasons for switching to Vista. e.g. saying "Vista is faster" is nonsense - I've seen both of them running on the same hardware with my own eyes.

well for starters I cant reccomend it on any machine older than early 2007. Theres just no point in it, unless youre trying to run a home network where you want to run them all the same: For some reason in our home network our Vista and XP machines cant see eachother: the Vista machines see themselves and the same with XP thats it. Anyone knowing the answer to that leave a message on my profile).

Vista does bring a few new features to the table, the first I found was the Administrative Tools have been given a facelift, and they are a lot easier to use now. The Management Console for instance now lets you repartition the hard drive on the fly, without even the need to reboot the PC. I found that pretty neat considering what an extra hassle that is to do in XP. Several other tools have been added as well, such as Memory Diagnostics a new task scheduler and the Reliability and Performance monitor which can show you the track record of your machine from day one to present, which does help a load when trying to figure out when your PC's health went so south at times (I tried installing iTunes..)

theres a few other good improvements all to be found in the CP, and thats where you expect to find most of the OS I suppose. Networking is a lot easier to perform these days; I've tried it both ways many times and I can quickly tell you which I prefer. Wireless LAN is so incredibly painless now.

In terms of Laptop Focus its win too. Home Premium includes built in Tablet Support for touchscreens, the added Plug and Play-like functionality of wireless, all sorts of presentation options for using projectors and external screens, etc. For these features alone its worth getting vista on the lappy over XP.

Then of course you have the new search bar which is also pretty nice. just type it in and its there. No more dredging through the start menu folders looking for crap.

Then theres the automatic linkup with your 360: my housemate had a 360 on the network from time to time and windows media player would always ask to link up to it so it could share music with it. never did give that a lash but if you have a 360 I assume its good for use as your home theatre using your music collection on the PC.

One thing I dont like is in the Home Edition the Disk Defragger tool doesnt give you any progress bar, which is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Not sure if its the same in Business. Thats probably the one thing that really irks me about the OS.

All in all, I like it. Its gotten a lot smarter since XP; its doubtless easier to approach as an untrained user, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Rebel021 wrote: »
    Dual boot is the way to go or triple boot for linux which is gaining groung by the day
    The only way to fly.

Advertisement